60CSx – 64 MB microSD or Optional 256MB microSD. What is the 2GB microSD for?

My Garmin E-Map just gave up the ghost after 7 years of wonderful service. I am now planning to purchase a Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx.

The features say that it comes with 64 MB microSD for storage of optional MapSource detail.

Or I can purchase a 256MB microSD for storage of optional MapSource detail.

When I go to the accessories page it tells me that I can purchase a 2GB microSD card that is ideal for use in storing additional MapSource data.

Is this 2 GB card fully compatible and the entire memory usable?

Is it only usable for the maps, or can I also store more than 1000 waypoints?

My E-Map had an 8 MB chip and could store about 30 counties of maps and 100 waypoints.

This new one will be fun to play with.

Thanks for the help.

My Garmin E-Map just gave up the ghost after 7 years of wonderful service. I am now planning to purchase a Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx.

The features say that it comes with 64 MB microSD for storage of optional MapSource detail.

When I go to the accessories page it tells me that I can purchase a 2GB microSD card that is ideal for use in storing additional MapSource data.

My E-Map had an 8 MB chip and could store about 30 counties of maps and 100 waypoints.

Thanks for the help.

I just have a 1 GB card in my 60CSx and I bought it from amazon at a very good price. Mine is a Kingston brand. I have the whole US (City Navigator NT ver. 8) on that SD card with a little room left over. You can add more waypoints to the card but you would have to create custom icons to do that because the unit does only hold 1000 waypoints. If you have a 2GB you could do have both street maps and topos...if you buy that software, that is.

Thanks for the help.

I bought City Navigator for my 60CSx on a micro SD card and it came on a 2 GB card. I also noticed you could buy 2 GB cards at camera online stores for $30-40.

-murray

@8Nuts MotherGoose

Might be worth your while to consider the VistaHCx if you are going to buy the 60CSx, the only real differences between the two in any real world usage is that one has a brighter screen and 50% better battery life. One has buttons on the front and the other has side buttons.

On the card you can store maps, and you can have the unit also log "backup" tracks that you can access later on the computer. you can not use these tracks on the GPSr, but its nice because you can clear the units internal track memory and not loose anything.

you also can use garmins POI loader to load custom point of interest files. These are essentially waypoints with larger Name and note area. I think I have 1700 or so POI's loaded to my 60cx, and still have quite a few regular waypoints too.

I think I bought my 1gb micro SD card from newegg.com for under $10, they have 2gb cards for under $20.

@8Nuts:

Another thing to note if you're not aware of it:

The 60csx (and the new HCx units too) have a max number of map segments that you can load into them at any one time - 2025. That's not an issue for the City Nav NT maps, since they've generally made each state a segment, but the Topo maps are still broken up into a bunch of segments (presumably to keep each segment's size small for the smaller memory handheld GPSr's). So for topo maps on a larger 2GB microSD card, you'll max out the segment limit before you max out the memory limit. The recommended approach for having all of the TOPO maps in the field is to get three 1GB cards, and fill them up accordingly.

For more info, search around this forum for "map segments 2025".

-RenHoek

The only things that are stored on the memory card are:

1. Maps - up to 2025 map segments or capacity of memory card (whichever occurs first)

2. POIs - unlimited - up to available memory on memory card

3. Tracks can be saved to the memory card but can only be viewed on your computer.

Waypoints, routes, and the tracklogs are all stored on the GPSr internal memory and not on the memory card.

Note on saved tracks: When a track is saved in the track log the track log file is reduced to 500 points. This can reduce the accuracy of a long detailed track with many, many turns. If the track is also saved to the memory card then the track file number of points is not reduced giving a more detailed account of your exact track for viewing on your computer later or mapping purposes.

Thanks everyone for all of the education.

I'll stay with the 60CSx, I've tried a borrowed side-button model for one day and I was not impressed. I'm always bumping the power button or the light button on the side of my e-Map, which are the only two buttons on the side. Had the same problem with the borrowed model.

I'll purchase the 2GB card and install my planned trip area in both City and Topo. That should leave me with plenty of space for POIs. As I get some experience under my belt with the GPSr, I'll adjust accordingly. I may even purchase another 2GB for special times like the occasional longer trip.