300 + finds with my cell phone

CharlesIsland

I have been thinking of getting a GPS but, kept holding back due to the excellence of Trimble on my cell phone. It wasn't until this last trip home from Myrtle Beach to Ohio that I felt a need for gps. While in WV I totally lost cell signal all together. Trimble was picking up GPS signal just fine, but it requires cell signal to contact the geocaching site. I love trimble because you can cache on the fly and log your smileys and dnfs right from the phone as well as read all the logs.

However, when I wasn't able to cache due to cell signal I got frustrated. I have been following the threads on the Vista HCX and that seems to be the one that will work best for me. I just realized now after reading some threads that maps need to be purchased for these things. What maps for North America do you suggest? I will be going to El Salvador in Feb 08 and I guess I will need maps for that area as well. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks :D

I just got the Vista HCx after using my trusty Vista C for more than two years. I really like being able to load 1000 waypoints into the HCx. In this "cache-rich" area, the 500-waypoint limit of the Vista C was occasionally a problem.

I have both Topo maps and City Navigator maps for my GPSr. I got the Topo maps on eBay and got the street maps in a reasonably-priced combo package with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette-lighter adapter.

I just got the Vista HCx after using my trusty Vista C for more than two years. I really like being able to load 1000 waypoints into the HCx. In this "cache-rich" area, the 500-waypoint limit of the Vista C was occasionally a problem.

I have both Topo maps and City Navigator maps for my GPSr. I got the Topo maps on eBay and got the street maps in a reasonably-priced combo package with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette-lighter adapter.

Thanks for the info.