Off Your Rocker Series

CharlesIsland

I just recently published 2 OYR caches. One in Austintown, OH. And one in Fairmont,WV. Below you will find the original response I received from Corp. followed by their most recent response. I must add that the ladder response was followed up with a message left on my voice mail as well.

FIRST LETTER: DATED SEPTEMBER 5TH, 2007

Dear Mr. Ulery,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with all of us here at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. We're always pleased to hear from our guests.

Yes, you can hide one on the porch to the location mentioned. Only the porch, not inside the location.

We look forward to seeing you in one of our locations again soon.

Sincerely,

Rachel Slagle

Guest Relations Representative

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc.

2ND LETTER: DATED September 11th, 2007

Dear Mr. Ulery,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with all of us here at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. We're always pleased to hear from our guests.

Unfortunately, since I responded to your request and gave you permission to place an object on the porch of our Cracker Barrel location in Austintown, OH, we have been told by our Operations Department that we can no longer participate in the geocaching game. You do not have permission to place the object on the porch. Sorry for any mis understandings.

We look forward to seeing you in one of our locations again soon.

Sincerely,

Rachel Slagle

Guest Relations Representative

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc.

I am not sure how they plan on dealing with the hundreds of caches placed at Cracker Barrels across the US, but my feeling is that they may be gone all together in the future.

Edited by CharlesIsland

I just sent them another email inquiring about what will happen to all the caches and why was this change made.

Maybe everyone can send in a message to Cracker Barrel and help keep these caches around.

Or thank them profusely for this very wise decision. :D <== That meanis I'm kidding.

Actually, the direct contact to the person (I guess) who gave blanket permission for all OYR hides is on the OYR bookmark list:

OYR across America

This could be a misunderstanding on a local level.

No one can fault you for trying to be honest but I'd say that you made a mistake by asking permission. They're rescinding permission is typical corporate CYA BS generated by slippery slope liability fears.

Remember: it's easier to seek forgiveness than it is to get permission.

.....must....not......reply.....to.....post.....

No one can fault you for trying to be honest but I'd say that you made a mistake by asking permission. They're rescinding permission is typical corporate CYA BS generated by slippery slope liability fears.

Not sure I'm reading your comment right but Cracker Barrel had a blanket "yes" policy for geocaches. Even so, informing the local manager was a polite thing to do and I went one step further and got an email that stated what their policy was. Permission must be gotten for private property, not asking (even if you think you'll be denied) is a violation of the rules. Your policy of asking for forgiveness is wrong. As soon as it is confirmed that CBOCS doesn't want caches any more, mine (sadly) will be removed.

Not sure I'm reading your comment right but Cracker Barrel had a blanket "yes" policy for geocaches. Even so, informing the local manager was a polite thing to do and I went one step further and got an email that stated what their policy was. Permission must be gotten for private property, not asking (even if you think you'll be denied) is a violation of the rules. Your policy of asking for forgiveness is wrong. As soon as it is confirmed that CBOCS doesn't want caches any more, mine (sadly) will be removed.

I would agree with you IF there had not already been blanket approval given from corporate.

If this were the first time someone asked, then so be it, but we have been granted permission already.

There wasn't much I could do anyway. Reviewers will require you to get permission for CB caches anyway. I am a believer in the forgiveness before permission in some cases, but in these cases you are required to get permission.

I just sent them another email inquiring about what will happen to all the caches and why was this change made.

Maybe everyone can send in a message to Cracker Barrel and help keep these caches around.

Or thank them profusely for this very wise decision. :D <== That meanis I'm kidding.

Actually, the direct contact to the person (I guess) who gave blanket permission for all OYR hides is on the OYR bookmark list:

OYR across America

This could be a misunderstanding on a local level.

Thanks I will check with them next.

Well now, you have to know who you are working with. When you do, you can figure out the rest.

.....must....not......reply.....to.....post....

....must ....control......fist....of....death (sorry, i couldn't resist)

I found an OYR cache once. It was fun because we were in a group (we were waiting for a table), but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to do another one.

But I think in general these are pretty popular caches, so there are plenty who would miss them. I also think that it's worth giving serious thought to any instance of 'geocaching is no longer allowed here', so I'm glad it's being looked into.

.....must....not......reply.....to.....post.....
That's ok, I'll do it for ya! :D

First off, their corporate HQ's already had a blanket "OK to Geocache Here" policy. I doubt that this instance triggered the change in policy, and that something bigger is going down.

Secondly, to suggest that it is a good idea to blatantly ignore the guidelines set forth by Groundspeak is not such a great idea. Aside from the whole problem with encouraging others to break the rules, it wouldn't be that hard for a landowner/manager, curious about this geocache thing that someone's just asked them if it can be placed on their property, to sign in to the forums here and read stuff like this. If I were that landowner and read "I'd say that you made a mistake by asking permission... it's easier to seek forgiveness than it is to get permission," you better bet I'd say "NO WAY!" in a flash!

Last and not least, if I were a cacher hunting a cache you hid without permission and I got in trouble for doing something that upset the landowner (ie being there w/out permission), you better believe I'm gonna be some ticked off at you.

A note about OYR caches: AN OYR cache was my only accidental find. I was traveling with a large group, sans GPSr. Someone suggested we stop at Cracker Barrel for lunch. After lunch, as we were waiting to reload the bus, I was sitting out front rocking. I was explaining geocaching to someone and said "In fact, there is probably a geocache here, as this company encourages them on their porches." As I rocked forward, I saw a little black plastic corner sticking out from behind something. Sure enough, it was the geocache!

I'll be sad if this cache goes away...

My favorite OYR cache was located well behind the property, near an equipment shed. There was a bench to sit down, and the area was beautifully landscaped. The cache container was very humerous. The tiny area was obviously nicely appointed expressly for the purpose of finding the geocache. I've never felt more welcome to find and log a geocache.

When we found it, we were on our way home from a long geocaching trip (Spring Break, 1200 miles and 8 states) and had just come out of the restaurant where we'd eaten our dinner. There were other places to eat nearby, but we like CB for the variety they offer, the clean restrooms, and the almost always great service we get--and that location actually had two caches --so it seemed like a no-brainer decision to stop there.

That same trip, we found another cache at a different CB hundreds of miles away. I didn't even know it was there, although I had read most of the cache pages when I loaded them in the PQ. It was a pleasant surprise to come out of the restaurant after eating breakfast, turn on the GPS to find the nearest caches, and realize the nearest one was right...over...there...about 70 feet away from where we'd parked. It was hands down the most hysterically funny cache container we had ever seen up until that time and my husband almost fell down he was laughing so hard!

I've seen a few that were much tamer and more ordinary then those two examples, but I've almost never seen one at a CB that I wouldn't recommend to a friend. (There was one, it was placed by a newbie, and it was just a bison tube anchored to the bottom of a prickly bush. That one was irritating and obnoxious, but I noticed that the owner changed the container on that one fairly quickly, and it sounds much cooler now).

I'll certainly miss them if they go away, although I guess it will encourage me to try other restaurants, perhaps some with local flavor and geocaches.

...and just what makes an OYR cache less desirable or worthy them some other caches?

1. unable to accomodate swag for my 8 yr. old.

2. unable to accomodate Travel Bugs

3. Acting like a whack-job in front of the general public.

4. Alarming the general public, by acting like a whack-job in front of them.

That's all I have for now. :D

...and just what makes an OYR cache less desirable or worthy them some other caches?

The two caches I mentioned above that I loved were

1. able to accomodate swag for your 8 yr. old (and anyone else)

2. able to accomodate Travel Bugs (and had TBs in them when I was there!)

3. were out of sight of the general public (much more so than many other urban caches, too)

4. would not have alarmed a kitten, much less the general public

I take it the only ones you know of were right on the front porch of the CB? They aren't all alike!

An OYR cache was my only accidental find. I was traveling with a large group, sans GPSr. Someone suggested we stop at Cracker Barrel for lunch. After lunch, as we were waiting to reload the bus, I was sitting out front rocking. I was explaining geocaching to someone and said "In fact, there is probably a geocache here, as this company encourages them on their porches." As I rocked forward, I saw a little black plastic corner sticking out from behind something. Sure enough, it was the geocache!

Heh... I didn't alarm anyone. The entire group of about 10 folks who I'd just explained geocaching to made the perfect cover as I retrieved the cache. An NFL quarterback would feel less secure behind the defensive line that was surrounding me. :D

I've done 3 of them so far and all 3 have been completely different. Granted they all are micro's so, if you always want to trade swag, TB's etc.. then you can always filter out micro's. I think the idea of being stealthy and finding a cache in such a public area is always a challange.

The two caches I mentioned above that I loved were

1. able to accomodate swag for your 8 yr. old (and anyone else)

2. able to accomodate Travel Bugs (and had TBs in them when I was there!)

3. were out of sight of the general public (much more so than many other urban caches, too)

4. would not have alarmed a kitten, much less the general public

I take it the only ones you know of were right on the front porch of the CB? They aren't all alike!

Oh, I was just trying to be funny. But yes, I've found the only one within 80 miles of me (boy, am I lucky, or what?) As it was hidden by a dear friend, and I knew of the blanket permission policy from the forums here. I can tell you though, that it was hidden without local permission, or knowledge of the blanket permission policy. It was probably hidden before that anyways. Yes, it was on the porch. Found it pretty early morning, so the only people inside who could see me were a couple of attractive young women, and I didn't mind that anyways. Traveling though? I've driven right by several. Not that they were loaded in the GPS.

Personally, I've never seen one that isn't a micro. But the two you described, Neos2, sound quite interesting.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I'm not sure why anyone would be happy to see these caches go away. If these don't fit the "If you don't like 'em don't hunt 'em." category I don't know what does. I'm pretty sure that few would be surprised to find themselves in front of a Cracker Barrel when looking for an OYR cache.

I think it's kind of sad if it turns out to be a wholesale change in Cracker Barrel policy rather than a local issue or a misunderstanding of some sort. I never hunted an OYR cache but I thought it was kind of cool that CB allowed people to hide caches at their stores.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

1. & 2. Okay, so don't hunt for micros.

3. Oh. I would never do that! Like lying down on a bridge in a popular park to feel the understructure for a magnetic micro.

4. The general public alarms far too easily. You didn't see me climb over the sleeping girl to snag he cache, did you?

I am confused... don't these violate the non-commercial nature rule?

I'm not an expert on this but, I've never seen anything where it promoted the business. Nor, has any of the one's I've seen (not just the 3 I've been to) said the name of the business). So, I would say no. They just gave permission to place a cache on their property outside of the building.

Not sure what to say here, except that we've had fun doing the OYR caches in this area, so much so that when two of the local ones were archived we decided to replace them with two more caches. Since then we've managed to add three more within our maintenance area, for a total of five OYR caches. I always liked the fact that they are available in all types of weather, and for all types of cachers. Handicapped or not. Some of the antiques used leave us guessing as to their intended purpose, AND a good meal (welcome change of pace from that Mc........place) is just a few steps away.

For those who are keeping score, here's the tally on our five caches:

GCRQ6F - Off Your Rocker in Chambersburg, PA - 118 happy cachers and 0 DNF's

GCRQ6J - Off Your Rocker in Hagerstown, MD - 136 happy cachers and 4 DNF's

GCRQ6K - Off Your Rocker in Frederick, MD - 120 happy cachers and 10 DNF's

GCVF8N - Off Your Rocker In Martinsburg, WV - 146 happy cachers and 4 DNF's

GC104JZ -Off Your Rocker In Winchester, VA - 60 happy cachers and 2 DNF's

580 happy cachers and 20 DNF's over the combined lifetime of these caches for a total find percentage of 97%

We've even had actual travelers through our caches including coins, small bugs, and the Unite For Diabetes Travel Bugs. Some small SWAG has also seen it's way into the caches including MONEY! and other small items.

I am confused... don't these violate the non-commercial nature rule?

Actually, I believe TPTB are sort of silently starting to clamp down on that, kind of. :D

But I don't think that is happening here, just a little miscommunication at the CB head office. I do believe the OP's posted emails came from there, not from a local location.

I hope this misunderstanding between two different corporate departments is resolved and we can go back to debating ice cream flavors. I like OYR caches, and it seems so do the 266 finders of the one I have placed. :D Like many of my caches, it isn't exactly what you might expect. :D

Some choice comments include:

• This cache series is so cool! The specific hide is very interesting too!
  • We had alots of laughs and alots of fun.
  • After a quick scream we had this one quickly in hand
  • I found the container quickly, and then I threw it in the air about ten feet. Some might wonder why I threw it -- others know why.
  • The surprise made me squeak!
  • I think this is my 6th Off your Rocker type cache, though this one was my favorite.
  • I too laughed after finding this one, although not as hard as the other guys were laughing.

My main motivation for caching is to have FUN. And I place caches to provide a FUN experience for those who seek my hides. Therefore, I can safely say that this particular one is a success. :D