Geocache manager for 210 eXplorist?

Thinkso

Hey everyone..... I just bought my daughter a Explorist 210 for a good starter gps. She loves it. Now I need to get pq's added to it? How is the question? :sad: I use GSAK and I download to my Lowrance H20c with no problems. This Geocache manager is different. :) I know this might have been asked before and, any help would be greatly appreciated. Just the basic's to get me going is all I need. :P

PQs are very easy to add to the Explorist 210. You can use Magellan's Geocache Manager to do it. The only difference is that the file must be unzipped first. Use Windows to unzip the PQ file (and make a careful note of the number - if you're like me and forget once all those numbers start looking alike). In Magellan's Geocache Manager, click "File", "Open", locate the now unzipped PQ file and Magellan's Geocache Manager will open it up and then the PQ can be put on the 210.

ALSO, though......GSAK can load it on the 210. (I found this out AFTER I had bought my 60CSX!) In GSAK, click "File", "Export", "Magellan Explorist and sd card". That will bring up a dialog box (not that much different than if you're exporting for cachemate or whatever). Name the file whatever you want to name it and GSAK will send it to the Explorist 210.

My first GPSr was an Explorist 210, and it still gets used by the kids. It's a great unit.

Hope this helps!

My standard 'procedure' for loading my eXplorist. HTH

1] do a pocket query

2] PQ sent to my e-mail account

3] With the e-mail showing on a reduced window, I simply double-click on the attached PQ, and a program called WinZip opens the zipped file, and shows me whats inside the file.

4] I click on and drag the main gpx file to my desktop.

5] I rename the numbered gpx file to something that makes sense to me, like Home.gpx, or route.gpx, or Lexington.gpx

6] I open GSAK and drop the .gpx file in there to update my database, and to send the caches to my palm for paperless caching.

7] I attach my eXplorist to the computer and turn it on, I make sure it is in data transfer mode, then go into the geocache folders on the SD card and delete the old .gs (eXplorist geocaching) files and any .fnd (found) files in there.

8] Open geocache manager program

9] hit the new file icon (white sheet of paper) to clear out any old cache data.

10] hit the open file icon (folder, next to the new file icon).

11] move the search to my desktop (where I saved the .gpx files) and double click on the .gpx I want to load.

12] Hit the save to eXplorist button (looks like a satellite) and since I renamed it Home.gpx, it will save it to the eXplorist SD card as Home.gs.

13]repeat 9-12 until all of my .gpx files are laoded.

Oh, and I limit all of my .gpx Pocket queries to a maximum of 190 caches.

Edited by Jhwk

OH! VERY good point! I had forgot about the 200 limit! Very nice to add that!

You do what I used to do, too. I'd only load 190 so if any had child waypoints, I'd be fine.

I also used multiple databases in my 210. I have a 60CSX and that's the thing I miss the most! (Although I've been following an interesting thread on how to do it in the 60CSX.)

And your descriptions was better than mine.