Question about the Garmin Nuvi

MsJules

I have a friend who is wanting to geocache and who is insisting on having a GPSr that "talks" to her (verbalizes street names, etc.). I know that the Nuvi will verbalize, but is it also geocache friendly? I am really trying to talk her into a handheld, but I'm not sure if there is a "talking" handheld GPSr out there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've been answering this question a lot lately and I've been getting smacked pretty hard. So, PLEASE don't smack me for offering my opinions!

I have a Nuvi 200 and an 60CSX. I really, really like them both and IMHO they both have their purposes. I LOVE the Nuvi in the car. I LOVE the 60CSX out the car.

That being said, the Nuvi CAN be used out of the car, but here is what she will want to think about: the Nuvi is not waterproof. (I don't think it's even a little rain proof.) The Nuvi has a touch screen. Touch screens are notorious for not being very...uh...durable. Yes, the Nuvi does have an internal battery, but it's pretty short (I'm thinking like 5-6 hours maybe - but you can check to be sure.) Thu Nuvi is a square that doesn't really fit in ones hand nicely & comfortably. The Nuvi can be changed to "off road" (which is what she will have to do once she parks the car.) Once she is off road, shes not going to have the compass with feet remaining (like many of us use). She'll have to watch the feet decrease in the bottom corner. It may be harder for her to figure out which way to go with the Nuvi.

I know it's unrealistic to have both devices. I choose to do it this way because, more often than not, I am caching alone. It's just too hard for me to try and follow the routing on my 60CSX. I have no issues using the 60CSX in, and around, my hometown. But, when I'm in an unfamiliar town, I find it difficult to only use the 60CSX. Here's what I've said before, and I'll say it again: A Nuvi is cheaper than the higher insurance premium I will pay if I wreck the car trying to read the little screen! (Or, it's about the same as my deductible!)

Now, again....THESE ARE ONLY MY OPINIONS!!!

Nice suggestion on the Quest 2. I went to Garmin's site and looked into it. (Because I thought, "Why hadn't I thought of that?!" You're right, the Quest 2 is waterproof and does speak directions (not street names - but neither does the Nuvi 200.) But, the main drawback I see is that the Quest 2 has a MSRP of $750.00. I bought both my 60CSX and my Nuvi 200 for that amount! (Because the 60CSX has a $50 rebate right now.)

Thanks for your suggestions. I agree that she almost needs a Nuvi and a handheld. She won't like to hear that, but she also doesn't want to spend more than $500 or so for her little system. The kicker is that she won't be going out alone, so why she needs the verbalization is beyond me.

Thanks again!

If she wants/needs both units, couldn't she go with a Nuvi and a cheaper GPSr?

If she has a Nuvi, she's probably not going to need the mapping software on the GPSr. (Because Nuvi is preloaded with the maps and it can tell her how to drive there.) I have an Explorist 210 (abt. $150). That makes the price of the Nuvi (abt $350) and the 210 come to about $500.

She can use the Nuvi to guide her to where she needs to park. Then, break out the handheld and use it to guide her to the cache. (It's how I do it now with my 60CSX and it's how I did it when I had the Explorist 210 - without mapping software.)

Then, she'd really have the best of both worlds! Of course, I understand that many will scoff at a Magellan, but there are cheaper Garmins, too. For $500, I really do think she can have her cake and eat it too!