First Name Basis

Approximately how many geocachers do you know* (and they you) by real name, as opposed to just their geocaching name? And of these people, how many did you meet through geocaching, as opposed to knowing before or meeting them completely outside of the activity?

My count is 9, 6 of whom I met through geocaching. Which makes me think I need to get out and socialize more.

* By 'know' I mean if you bumped into them someplace, you would greet them by their real name, and they would greet you by your real name. For example, if I bumped into New England n00b, I'd say "Hello, Phil**! " and he would respond "Why, hello there, Chuck**!".

** Not our real names. Just used for example purposes. Please don't refer to either one of us as "Phil" or "Chuck". That would be annoying.

ummmm.....just about all of them that I do know. I'm the first to admit that I'm lousy with names, but I really hate using screen names face-to-face. It usually takes a couple events or emails and I'll do my best to remember someone's name.

As far as actual numbers....wow....I'll have to think about that.

Well, this may be partly because we have set a precedent by insisting on using our real first names (Vinny and Sue) in our geocaching handle/name, and also partly because a great many cachers contact me from across the world about our Psycho caches, but I can count at least 90 (actually, probably more like 250 if I sat down and counted...) cachers around the world whom I know by first name. About half are located within 90 miles of our home, and the other half are spread across the USA (including even the fabled no-man's lands of Texas and West Virginia) and across the world, including Germany, Norway and India.

P.S., I am NOT including in the above count friends of mine who I knew from outside the caching world and who have since gotten at least a bit involved in caching, and rather, I am counting only people whom I met through geocaching.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Probably about 50, mostly because strangers give you weird looks if you refer to someone by their screename in public. In private, sometimes it's easier to call someone by their first name, other times their handle is easier to say. In email, most cachers I frequently converse with either use their real name, or have their real name in the "from" field of their email headers (unless the message was sent directly through gc.com).

prolly 15 or so. two of whom i knew before caching. the rest we either met along the trail, or i emailed them a lot and we eventually met, or met at an event. there's probably more, but my brainthinker's not working too well this morning... :P

oops - 16! one woman came up to us after church and introduced herself and said "i think we have a hobby in common..." That was cool!

Edited by kyk96

ummmm.....just about all of them that I do know. I'm the first to admit that I'm lousy with names, but I really hate using screen names face-to-face. It usually takes a couple events or emails and I'll do my best to remember someone's name.

Same here. I'm bad with names in general, but I've tried to learn the real names. After a couple really close calls years ago with talking to people here in town (like family, or church friends or something) about a geocaching friend and hesitating for a panicked second while trying to retrieve a real name instead of a lovely one like "The Leprechauns", I've learned quickly. :P:D:o

I have no idea how many, and I was only going to post "lots", but I may think about it for a few minutes and see if I can come up with a number. :)

People learn my name fairly quickly. I used to be very quick to protect my real name here in the forums, and if someone posted it, I would ask them to edit it or get a mod to edit it for me. But so many people know it and are familiar with it and use it here, that I've given up. :D:)

About 15 or so.

I have to see people a few times before I really know them. I hate it when some friendly cacher comes up at an event and says: "Hey Airmapper!" and I draw a blank on not only their handle but real name as well. :):P

At events, I usually get called by my handle, but if it's the group of cachers I know better my real name is used. A few cachers call me "Mapper" and I don't mind that.

Same here. I'm bad with names in general, but I've tried to learn the real names. After a couple really close calls years ago with talking to people here in town (like family, or church friends or something) about a geocaching friend and hesitating for a panicked second while trying to retrieve a real name instead of a lovely one like "The Leprechauns", I've learned quickly. :sad::):P

Yeah, it makes for funny phone messages too! Once my sister-in-law was staying at my house and got a call from a mutual friend who caches. The friend asked my sister to let me know that a fellow cacher had given her some things to give to me, so we should arrange to get together sometime. The message should have been, "Toni has some baby clothes for you from GoPurdue". Instead is was "Toni has some baby clothes for you from Joe Perdue." I was VERY confused, since I don't know anyone named Joe Perdue. Then my husband figured it out. I guess you had to be there.

I'd say I know about 10 or so, and one is someone I converted to caching. It doesn't help that we just had a baby and changed names to the FourRushkateers. (I see I've been automatically logged in as 3Rushkateers. I'll do something about that when we make 4rkt our premium account.)

Edited by ThreeRushkateers

'bout 10.

Wait a minute, answering the OP question of how many of us passing in the street would recognize each other, I would have to add probably three more people that I have never met in person but have seen their photos and they have seen mine.

It might take a double take, but it could happen.

'bout 13.

'bout 10.

Wait a minute, answering the OP question of how many of us passing in the street would recognize each other, I would have to add probably three more people that I have never met in person but have seen their photos and they have seen mine.

It might take a double take, but it could happen.

'bout 13.

Met one in the wild from profile lurking, never said anything - that's just a bit too creepy even for me. The conversation was all business anyway.

folks who would know me by my real name every cache I've found (every on line log is signed with my real name) - actual cachers who know me my by name/face to face - 7 or so

Met one in the wild from profile lurking, never said anything - that's just a bit too creepy even for me. The conversation was all business anyway.

I'm not great at names and faces. But I guess I should change the photo on my profile page. It does make me wonder when people come up to me in the supermarket, or when I'm caching 35 miles from home, and say "It's Harry Dolphin!"

It's kind of embarrassing to me but there are numerous geocachers whom I've met many times and I don't know their real names. One that comes to mind is Harry Dolphin, a frequent poster here. We've met a good number of times and when I see him I call him Harry, which I know isn't his real name.

As far as geocachers who I know on a first name basis, of course there are CarleenP and Vinny of Vinny and Sue team but because I've never personally met them, they don't count.

As far as geocachers whom I've met personally and know on a first name basis I just counted 34 off the top of my head and if I were to think harder I bet I could come up with equal that amount.

Approximately how many geocachers do you know* (and they you) by real name, as opposed to just their geocaching name? And of these people, how many did you meet through geocaching, as opposed to knowing before or meeting them completely outside of the activity?

My count is 9, 6 of whom I met through geocaching. Which makes me think I need to get out and socialize more.

* By 'know' I mean if you bumped into them someplace, you would greet them by their real name, and they would greet you by your real name. For example, if I bumped into New England n00b, I'd say "Hello, Phil**! " and he would respond "Why, hello there, Chuck**!".

** Not our real names. Just used for example purposes. Please don't refer to either one of us as "Phil" or "Chuck". That would be annoying.

I'd say fifty. Well 51 since Snoogans just introduced himself and I see his face a lot around these parts.

Yeah, I am sort of the same way. Terrible with names but great with numbers. All day I've been trying to remember your name for example. Dangit. I'll remember at some point. :)

In the past, as I have corresponded with cachers who have "reviewer" questions, I signed my emails as "mtn-man". I began to feel that it was impersonal. In the last couple of years or so, I have been signing them with my real name instead. I can sense that cachers like to deal with me as "Greg" rather than "mtn-man". They know my nick, but my perception has been that it has been a very positive shift. When I went to British Columbia early in the summer, many knew me by my first name even though I had never met a single person there. I felt welcomed and among friends. Part of that was because we are cachers, but I know part of it was because they felt like they knew me already.

How many? Wow. Lots. I just wish I could remember CYBret's first name. :sad: