Geocaching Music

volkl_boy

While geocaching I prefer the sounds of nature. In the car on the way there and back it could be anything, but I generally prefer punk, indie/alternative, Celtic, folk and classical as well as some select jazz artists.

Some CDs that have had heavy rotation in my car player over the past few months are:

"Bluefinger" by Black Francis

"Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" by Spoon

"Back to Black" by Amy Winehouse

"The Story" by Brandi Carlisle

"Neon Bible" - by The Arcade Fire,

"Add It Up" by The Violent Femmes

"Howl" - by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

"Half Perfect World" by Madeline Peyroux

"Insecticide" by Nirvana

"Illinoise" by Suftjan Stevens

"Favorite Worst Nightmare" by The Arctic Monkeys

"Essence" by Lucinda Wiliams

"Greatest Hits" by Collective Soul

I've actually thought about making a mix CD to listen to while en route to caches, and was trying to figure out what the best songs were to get you excited and motivated. It is interesting to see what other people listen to, but do you guys have specific music you like to listen to just for en route to caches? This might help me get ideas for my mix CD.

the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Musical Episode (Once More With Feeling)... No... I'm serious... ok... stop laughing now...

Hey, that's not bad. "I'm Under Your Spell" and Giles' song* are both really good. And as musicals go, the whole thing was pretty well done.

No special caching music for me. I mostly listen to NPR and apolitical talk radio when driving, to a cache or otherwise (unless the kids are in the car. Then it's usually Rebecca Frezza [no complaint, she's awesome] or the Sesame Street cassette I got from a cache five years ago and must have heard close to 1000 times since then, no exaggeration).

* did you know Anthony Stewart Head is the brother of Murray Head, singer of "One Night in Bangkok" and Judas on the original cast recording of "Jesus Christ Superstar"?

Edited by Dinoprophet

Preferences - when alone or able to win the coin toss on who picks the tunes riding:

Local caching - the local country stations;

Long road trip caching - either Alison Kraus or Lorena Mckennit or Lunasa... or similar bluegrass/celtic;

Long road trip benchmarking - same if it's good weather, or Lord of the Rings soundtrack (the entire trilogy)

if I need that motivational 'press on through the heavy weather' music...

Dismounted... no music but the sweet sound of ammocans being opened!

If I'm on foot, I stick with the haunting melodies in my head.

If in the Cache Retrieval Vehicle TB, usually the XM.

10 - America (classic country), especially Outlaw America T/Th 5-6:30

12 - X-Country (progressive country)

13 - Willie's Place (more classic country)

46 - Top Tracks (early classic rock)

If it is Sunday, I'll likely be listening to my local Christian music station (WGTS).

Not music, but often on...

121 - Fox News Channel

168 - Fox News Radio

Local news / talk on 630 WMAL.

Dave

Hey, that's not bad. "I'm Under Your Spell" and Giles' song* are both really good. And as musicals go, the whole thing was pretty well done.

No special caching music for me. I mostly listen to NPR and apolitical talk radio when driving, to a cache or otherwise (unless the kids are in the car. Then it's usually Rebecca Frezza [no complaint, she's awesome] or the Sesame Street cassette I got from a cache five years ago and must have heard close to 1000 times since then, no exaggeration).

* did you know Anthony Stewart Head is the brother of Murray Head, singer of "One Night in Bangkok" and Judas on the original cast recording of "Jesus Christ Superstar"?

Nope, I didn't know that... That is one of the musicals I haven't had the opportunity to either see or perform in (locally of course, LOL)... and yes, I love Giles' song... not too fond of "I'm Under Your Spell", but to each their own... we (especially the kids) tend to love the funnier songs in it... I myself tend to walk around almost anywhere (even the grocery store) and burst into "I've Got a Theory"... then again, I tend to burst into "One More Angel in Heaven" and "Go, Go, Go Joseph" from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat as well...

Man, I miss being able to perform on stage :D

Ok sorry... back to your regularly scheduled topic now...

Angie

FamilyMac Matriarch

If I'm I'm hiking and such I dont listen to anything. While hiking, I figure that I need all 5 senses. When I'm out grabbing urban caches I put my iPodon random mostly, but overtime I'd say I listen to a few bands in particular over others: Built To Spill, The Weakerthans, Modest Mouse, Jimmy Eat World (Before Bleed American), Death Cab For Cutie, and a local band called Shawn Johnson & The Foundation.

While I'm traveling to the cache in my Tacoma I typically listen to my Sirius radio. Usually the Raw Dog Comedy 104 station with my favorite show Breuer Unleashed or the 90's alternative station. Most of the time when in the woods I don't bring my IPOD but when I do it's typically Chris Knight, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Black Label Society, Pantera, Black Sabbath, Alice in Chains, Johnny Cash, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

When in the Jeep, Euge Groove, Boney James, Rick Braun, classic Steely Dan, etc...

The sounds of nature while caching. :)

Ditto that Stargazer! Great selection of music in the car and the sounds of nature on the trail! Euge Groove is from Hagerstown, MD, which is right next to where I live and I didn't even know it. I love their music. I also love Crazy by gnarls barkley, Flirt by Mindi Abair, Grazing in the Grass by Hugh Masekela, and Dave Koz & Praful. :D

Yes

Steely Dan

Pink Floyd

mostly only in the car on the way in.

however Pink Floyds Animals can be awsome while hiking through the woods.

I'm a big Floyd fan too! Animals and Wish You Were Here are my favorites. But the music stays in the car when I'm on the trail.

Definitely Pink Floyd as well - but mostly as I'm doing planning for a caching day. I particularly like disc 1 of their Echoes CD.

When we are out caching, there are too many mixed musical favorites for the 4 (usually) of us that we generally just talk. We too listen to the sound of nature when we can.

What do you like to listen while geocaching? How about even en route to your next cache of the day to keep morale high after a few DNFs or to keep your geosenses sharp? <_<

I never listen to music, nor to audiotapes nor the radio, while geocaching or while driving or flying to cache sites. Once one is in touch with the the absolute peace and joy of Holy Spirit and the Sacred Heart within, nothing else is needed, ever.