creative hides

kyk96

I'm not referring to cache containers. I'm looking to place a cache or two that bring attention to little-known history of the area where we live. There are two places, specifically, that are very historically relevant, but the structures are no longer there. The only thing remaining is a marker in the one location and I'm not even sure if a marker remains in the second location. These are not cemeteries - I know a lot of people don't like cemeteries, even though they are generally well done in our area.

Anyway, I want to educate people about this great local history and bring them to these places. However, both places are now private property. The marker for the one place is visible from the road (I still have to find the second one), so people could see them without trespassing. But WHERE do I put the actual cache? It seems like a huge letdown to find this great information only to be led to a box under a log in a totally unrelated area. Had thought about placing micro's on the markers, but again, seems like a letdown to find these places just to sign a micro. Plus, I don't know how feasible it would be to hide a micro on a marker on private property.

Any suggestions for handling these obstacles? I am hesitant to relate too much information. I know some of our local cachers spend a lot of time on the forums...... and are sneaky! :anitongue:

thanks in advance!

kim

If the marker is on private property, then you will need the property owner's permission.

I have one hide (my first and favorite) that is a small hidden under the marker for an indian burial mound located in the middle of a suburban subdivision. The marker is a large slab, but it is raised in the back to allow something to be hidden underneath. The container is a lock n lock that has been camo-taped on all sides but left clear on the bottom (to let non-cachers see inside without opening or blowing-up the cache). Another marker in the city has one hidden underneath. A gap at the bottom of the marker allows a small cache to be hidden there as well. Both are city-owned and managed areas, however, so I can't help you on the private property side of things.

Good luck. Everyone seems to enjoy coming upon a burial mound within minutes of downtown Columbus and in the middle of a suburban subdivision (google earth is a great friend for finding new hides). Many people who grew up in the suburb never knew it existed.

edit: Spellliing

Edited by avpas

KIM......who do you know that's sneaky? :anitongue:

BTW...went to HLG today...behind the gift shop along the trail by the lake would be great for a cache. I'm meeting with the PTB and organizers for the event this weekend, will try to write you later to give you more info!

Sorry...back to your regularly scheduled program!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I would try to contact the property owner about placing one there, elsewise on the public right-of-way somewhere?

I know there is one in my hometown that is a pipe sticking out of the ground, and has an M&M tube at the bottom of the pipe. to get to it you pull the fake wires sticking out of the tube. they even put mailbox letters on the pipe to make it look official. it's GCW3JG, and there is an image of the black pipe with a cap on it. never mind nudecacher in the pic. lol. I love that guy!

good luck.

I know there is one in my hometown that is a pipe sticking out of the ground, and has an M&M tube at the bottom of the pipe. to get to it you pull the fake wires sticking out of the tube. they even put mailbox letters on the pipe to make it look official. it's GCW3JG, and there is an image of the black pipe with a cap on it. never mind nudecacher in the pic. lol. I love that guy!

This does sound like a clever hide, but there is now no surprise left. If you were going to give away the secret, you could have at least left out the GC number. :anitongue:

Use information from the markers to solve a puzzle and put the final cache somewhere that is relevant to the same history and/or make up a stamp which pertains to the historical event and put it in the final, making it a letterbox hybrid.

If the marker is intended for public viewing, i don't even see the need for explicit permission, but of course it would be the best way to go.

At least the land owner should be informed that heshe might see a few more people suddenly become interested in the historical marker. :anitongue:

Hi, sorry i wasn't more explicit in my post yesterday. I definitely have NO intention of placing the cache on private property w/o getting permission. Sorry if my post gave that impression at all. :) I guess I am resigned to having folks get info from the marker and then having them go to find the cache. And, yep, I think it would be a good idea to let the property owner know there might be more traffic there. The marker is WELL maintained, so they obviously intend for people to be able to see it at least from the road. But I'm uncomfortable asking someone if I can place a cache on their property. So yah, it will either have to be a multi or a mystery cache (not enough of them around here, eh Rod?) :P

I just want to figure out a way to make the final fun. The theme is history, and also education-related. So obviously I don't want to put the final at a school either. I like the idea of the stamp and making it a letterbox hybrid. I've only done one of those and don't know too much about it.

Anybody else have ideas of how to make a final "go with" a hunt theme even if it's in a seemingly unrelated spot?

I have SO got to download Google earth - if we could only lose the dial-up here... :)

Thanks for all your replies! :D

ps- Rod, thanks for the HLG info... that would be a perfect spot for another cache we're planning! :D

Edited by kyk96

I would try to contact the property owner about placing one there, elsewise on the public right-of-way somewhere?

good luck.

I like that one, the cache, that is :P My hubby has been wanting to do something like that for a while. Was the pipe already there, or did the owner put it in?