Uploaded Images Have Wrong Date

monkeykat

For a few months now I've been noticing that when I upload photos to a log or a travel bug, they sometimes show up with the correct month and day, but the year is 2006 instead of 2007. Has anyone else seen this occur? I've been trying to narrow down just when this occurs, but it seems to be happening very randomly.

Last night I uploaded 33 pictures and 6 were the correct date and 27 were wrong. Of the 27 wrong ones, all were on Travel Bug Galleries. Of the 6 correct ones, 5 were on Cache logs, and one was a travel bug.

First I thought it was happening when you go back and add an image to a log after it is submitted. Then I thought it was happening only for travel bug photos. But lately I have had photos correctly dated for both of those cases. If you check my profile, you will see that I have images in my gallery that are dated from before I even created an account on Geocaching.com.

When uploading an image, there is no place to set the date of that image, so it should use the log date I would assume. Its a little annoying to not have a chronological order of photos in my gallery, but it is also goofing up other people's travel bug galleries as my pictures show up earlier than other peoples images.

Its not a big deal, but I would be curious to see what is causing it.

I just looked at the EXIF data on your two pictures for the White Jeep Travel Bug "Jayronn" and they show image dates in 2006. It looks like the date in your camera is wrong, and the website is using that date in it's displays. On the pictures where the date is correct on the website, perhaps you edited the pics in a program that stripped out the EXIF data?

Camera Make: Canon

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SD700 IS

Image Date: 2006:06:02 15:36:16

Flash Used: No (Auto)

Focal Length: 5.8mm

CCD Width: 4.29mm

Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)

Aperture: f/5.6

White Balance: Auto

Metering Mode: Matrix

How did you find the EXIF data on the pictures? I have over 30 pages of pictures dated 2014, and I know the date in my camera was correct on a lot of those pictures. I use MS Picture It to edit all of my pictures. I asked Groundspeak about the date problem several months ago, and they had no idea what I was talking about. They said they didn't see any pictures in my gallery dated 2014.

Okay, I figured out how to get to the EXIF data, and the first picture was indeed dated 2014. It'll be interesting to check some of the pictures that I think were dated 2007. Is there any way to change this info while I'm editing the picture?

Edited by geopigs
How did you find the EXIF data on the pictures?

I use the FxIF extension for Firefox. All I have to do is right-click on an image and select "Properties" and it shows all the EXIF data right in my browser.

Is there any way to change this info while I'm editing the picture?

I'm sure some image editing programs must have the ability to edit the EXIF data, but I don't know which ones. I just did a quick Google search and found several stand-alone programs that can edit the EXIF data.