Upcoming 'will attend' events bug

SkyRattlers

The feature that puts any events that you have logged as 'will attend' at the top of the page is a nice reminder. But now that the event has come and gone, and as of today the event has even been archived, why am I still seeing it at the top of my page as an event that I will attend in the next 30 days?

I agree with everyone that it is a nice feature. It would be a better feature if the date displayed when I look at my finds list was the date of the event rather than the date I made a post to the event. Seeing the event date would help me not miss the event. Some might reply that I could set the date of my post to the date of the event. But I see that as a second best solution because the post date is useful too.

Just in case you haven't realized this feature still doesn't work correctly.

It does work correctly as designed. It was designed to show the events you will attend for 30 days. It does that.

However, most would agree that instead of 30 days, it should show the events from the time you enter the "will attend" log, until the event takes place.

Yes, it's a matter of semantics. But just because it doesn't work they way you think it should, doesn't mean it is broken. :)

Perhaps after Groundspeak gets their current code release working correctly, they can implement this change.

It does work correctly as designed. It was designed to show the events you will attend for 30 days. It does that.

:)

I imagine the Groundspeak staff were sitting around discussing which features to implement in the next realease of Geocaching.com when someone said it would be cool to show the events which you plan to attend in the next 30 days. Without thinking it through completely the programmer says "That's easy to implement, in fact it's a freebee since we already show the logs for the past 30 days. I just have to sort the events so they come to the top". Nobody stood up and said, "But that will just show the 'Plan to attend' you entered in the last 30 days and have nothing to do with events that may be upcoming in the next 30 days. If you log a plan to attend 60 days before an event it will disappear after 30 days when the event is still 30 days in the future. And if you log a plan to attend 15 days before and event it will stay on the list for 15 days after the event has been held." Instead, TPTB told the programmer, "Since you say it is so easy go ahead and make the change".

The really sharp Geocaching users see the new feature. "This is cool," they say. "It will really help remind me when an event is coming up." But after a few days, the really smart Geocaching users realize the the programmer has implemented something different. They point this out on the forum and even try to explain how it should work. The programmer probably realizes his mistake and wants to fix it. TPTB ask him "What will it take to fix this". The programmer says "It's not all that simple. I will have to run another query on the page to get events that are scheduled in the next 30 days for which the user has posted a 'plan to attend' log. It may take a few days to check this out. And there also might be an issue with recurring events that use the same GC number and change the date each month." TPTB think about it and decide that there are other features more important and that fixing this one can wait. They also decide that it would take too much time that could be spent on getting more important features working, so they tell the programmer not to work on this at all, not even take the time to put it back like it was before the change.

This fix is somewhere on list of changes/fixes that will be done. It has a low priority right now. Other changes, like updates to the maps, are higher priority and are taking up all of the programmer's time. Of course, being a programmer, I have no doubt that he can really not spend anytime thinking about this issue and working on it at least part of the time. If I were him, I might think about ignoring my boss and sneaking the change in anyway :D . Just imaging all the kudos the programmer will get when this feature starts to work :D

The following comments are taken from this closed thread. Which I deliberately made because there are many threads about this subject!!

You must be new here. :):)

Nope I am not new here. You just have to look beneath my avatar to see how many posts I have made and how long I have been a member.

What does NAFF mean? :(

Wikipedia article

If that's what the OP meant, it surely seems inappropriate for this forum. I hope it means something else.

The first two descriptions in the wiki link are the common usage of the word NAFF.

The second explanation explains how it was meant within my comments.

I am offended that you have taken the third or fourth explanation as what I meant. The way I wrote it within the text should have showed otherwise.

To give you some idea to how benign the word is, it was used as a designer label for several years.

And even when they do, they never say when a feature will be implemented or a bug fixed.

IMHO, Unfortunately, that is the problem. Making changes without informing your customer base is not wise business practice. I understand they are working on new code and such but when they do implement it the customers will be informed first.

You are correct that is the BIG problem. Why does it take a member to inform us, why can't Groundspeak just say that. Very bad business practice. Or is it the fact they hold the main monopoly over the hobby and they don't actually care? I hope I am wrong on that?

If I were him, I might think about ignoring my boss and sneaking the change in anyway . Just imaging all the kudos the programmer will get when this feature starts to work

And will you be hiring him and paying for his move to the new job should he get fired for insubordination? Its all well and good to suggest someone disobey a directive at work but unless you plan on taking care of their financial needs after that its probably not a smart idea. To suggest that someone sneak in and go against the employers wishes is a bad suggestion and could get someone fired or at the very least written up for not following the wishes of the people paying his salary. All in all this was a bad idea.

Edited by LaPaglia

The following comments are taken from this closed thread. Which I deliberately made because there are many threads about this subject!!

You must be new here. :):)

Nope I am not new here. You just have to look beneath my avatar to see how many posts I have made and how long I have been a member.

What does NAFF mean? :(

Wikipedia article

If that's what the OP meant, it surely seems inappropriate for this forum. I hope it means something else.

The first two descriptions in the wiki link are the common usage of the word NAFF.

I am offended that you have taken the third or fourth explanation as what I meant. The way I wrote it within the text should have showed otherwise.

To give you some idea to how benign the word is, it was used as a designer label for several years.

And even when they do, they never say when a feature will be implemented or a bug fixed.

IMHO, Unfortunately, that is the problem. Making changes without informing your customer base is not wise business practice. I understand they are working on new code and such but when they do implement it the customers will be informed first.

You are correct that is the BIG problem. Why does it take a member to inform us, why can't Groundspeak just say that. Very bad business practice. Or is it the fact they hold the main monopoly over the hobby and they don't actually care? I hope I am wrong on that?

Sheesh Its frigging Tupperware in the woods. Stop acting like its life or death. take a break, go caching, go chase butterflies, read a book, get drunk, do something that allows you to lighten up a little.

I can't stand it when cnn.com and amazon.com have the gall to make changes to their site without consulting with me first. I mean, who the heck to they think they are making those changes without asking ME?

From now on, anytime Groundspeak makes changes they should run it through a new committee to be formed of all the geocachers in the world. If and when we ok the change, then Groundspeak can feel free to implement the change on the timetable that works best for the geocachers on that committee.

I fail to see how this item can possibly detract from your ability to enjoy geocaching.

You must be new here. B)B)

What does NAFF mean? :P

Wikipedia article

Sheesh Its frigging Tupperware in the woods. Stop acting like its life or death. take a break, go caching, go chase butterflies, read a book, get drunk, do something that allows you to lighten up a little.

I think the moderator that closed Haggis Hunters thread either was referring to another thread or made a mistake when he said that "... there is already an active topic on this same subject just a little ways down the page, I am closing this duplicate."

This thread is about the Will Attend feature. Haggis Hunters now closed thread is about Groundspeak responding or the lack of response to post in the forums. The thread was dying but now this thread has been hijacked. B)

I can't stand it when cnn.com and amazon.com have the gall to make changes to their site without consulting with me first. I mean, who the heck to they think they are making those changes without asking ME?

From now on, anytime Groundspeak makes changes they should run it through a new committee to be formed of all the geocachers in the world. If and when we ok the change, then Groundspeak can feel free to implement the change on the timetable that works best for the geocachers on that committee.

I fail to see how this item can possibly detract from your ability to enjoy geocaching.

Sorry Chilehead but you need to read my post again. I didnt say they should run any of their changes by their customers but rather tell their customers when they plan on implementing them. Its not hard to say " Hey, on friday we are going to doing such and such." Last week a change was made to the site and immediately the forum started getting posts from users. The changes were than reversed. Whether the change was planned or if they were playing with code on production servers i dont know but if it was the previous than my above point remains. If it is the later, well than that would be another issue.

I think the moderator that closed Haggis Hunters thread either was referring to another thread or made a mistake when he said that "... there is already an active topic on this same subject just a little ways down the page, I am closing this duplicate."

This thread is about the Will Attend feature. Haggis Hunters now closed thread is about Groundspeak responding or the lack of response to post in the forums. The thread was dying but now this thread has been hijacked. :P

I think he may have made a mistake? As part of that thread was the same subject as this and many others.

I am pleased that at least one person seen the true reason for my thread and yes this one probably has been hijacked now? But nothing much I can do about that as my thread was closed B)

However, most would agree that instead of 30 days, it should show the events from the time you enter the "will attend" log, until the event takes place.

Yes, it's a matter of semantics. But just because it doesn't work they way you think it should, doesn't mean it is broken. :P

Perhaps after Groundspeak gets their current code release working correctly, they can implement this change.

Actually I think this is exactly the case. It does work. Not how we want it to. Just the way it was designed to work.

Should it be different?? Sure!!! But don't claim it is broken - after all none of us knows what the programmer was setting out to do........

Yes, it's a matter of semantics. But just because it doesn't work they way you think it should, doesn't mean it is broken. :P

Actually I think this is exactly the case. It does work. Not how we want it to. Just the way it was designed to work.

Should it be different?? Sure!!! But don't claim it is broken - after all none of us knows what the programmer was setting out to do........

I don't necessarily disagree with your reasoning, but if a feature or a product doesn't do what the customer base expects it to do, then quite simply the feature or product doesn't work for the customer.

The amount of threads on this topic says to me it doesn't do what the customer wants. As it is at the moment it means the feature is totally useless.

I'm not to bothered about it being fixed immediately, as I understand there may be more pressing issues to deal with. But a quick answer from anyone at Groundspeak would be nice!