Cemeteries

Bushlight

Yeah, mine does, too. I have a sensitivity to electrical things- I can improve TV signals if I touch an antenna, can witch water, etc. If a cache is near a cemetery I have to walk around it to triangulate because my GPSr just wont work for me inside a cemeterys boundaries. I've seen a thing or two that most people probably can't see so it's probably my body chemistry that won't allow the GPSr to work for me in those "sensitive" areas.

I want to place a cache in a cemetary because it is such a beautiful area in our town. But, I don't want to disrespect the people that are buried there. There are tons of trees and other places to hide. I am also afraid of the MN approver.

Props for taking the higher road and not hiding a cache in a cemetery. Its not the place to play this game.

Props for taking the higher road and not hiding a cache in a cemetery. Its not the place to play this game.

~heavy sigh~

I'm wondering if your opinion is based on you considering this hobby a "game."

There have been long discussions on whether the hobby we enjoy is a game or something else. I say it's something else as while one can make a game out of it there are elements that are closer to other hobbies I doubt anyone would call a game. Is sightseeing a game?

Someone who puts a cache in a cemetery for the numbers is playing a game. However, if someone wants to highlight a person or the history of the cemetery then it's more like sightseeing and is not a game.

Don't get me wrong. I like the "game" of challenges on individual caches. I couldn't care less about the "game" of accumulating smilies. What I really like is the sightseeing, the places that make me go "wow," or places that I would have never visited or known about without a cache--especially those that never make to the tourism books.

Geocaching is what you make it. If you want to make it a game then it's a game--for you.

There are plenty of cemetery caches out there that are not disrespectful, are educational, and not part of any "game."

EDIT: Fixed wordo.

Edited by CoyoteRed

~heavy sigh~

There have been long discussions on whether the hobby we enjoy is a game or something else. I say it's something else as while one can make a game out of it there are elements that are closer to other hobbies I doubt anyone would call a game. Is sightseeing a game?

Someone who puts a cache in a cemetery for the numbers is playing a game. However, if someone wants to highlight a person or the history of the cemetery then it's more like sightseeing and is not a game.

Don't get me wrong. I like the "game" of challenges on individual caches. I couldn't care less about the "game" of accumulating smilies. What I really like is the sightseeing, the places that make me go "wow," or places that I would have never visited or known about without a cache--especially those that never make to the tourism books.

Geocaching is what you make it. If you want to make it a game then it's a game--for you.

There are plenty on cemetery caches out there that are not disrespectful, are educational, and not part of any "game."

That was very very well said CR !

Star

My Wife and I started a cemetery cache in my area last night. The cemetery is a historical sight and the cache was very well done. It was dusk when we showed up and we were enjoying reading about the history and the accomplishments of those laid to rest that we decided to stop and not finish for the sake of finishing and come back when we will have more daylight. A cache like this is paying tribute to those who came before us and seemed very respectful. (GC15K6W)

~heavy sigh~

There are plenty of cemetery caches out there that are not disrespectful, are educational, and not part of any "game."

EDIT: Fixed wordo.

I did caches at two cemetaries just this past weekend. Neither was disrespectful and each took me to a mostly forgotten place with historical significance. I've also visited a number of virtual caches in Yellowstone that were historic grave sites and graveyards. They weren't disrespectful at all and I learned some history about the park and the people who have lived and worked there and been responsible for the place. I've visited a local graveyard that, at one time, was almost covered with berry vines and other vegetation run wild. It was later cleared and restored. While there I saw graves of local pioneers and also visited the Civil War Veterans section. It was a peaceful place with great local historical significance. There was no rooting around looking for a cache at an actual grave site. The cache was simply a way to bring people to a special place that they might not have know about otherwise.

I don't consider geocaching to be a game. It's a hobby I pursue because I like it and, while I do caches that are less than inspired, I also find caches that take me to places I'm extremely glad to visit but would never have found on my own. That's the true joy of geocaching.

I want to place a cache in a cemetary because it is such a beautiful area in our town. But, I don't want to disrespect the people that are buried there. There are tons of trees and other places to hide. I am also afraid of the MN approver.

First, caching is not a game. Playing Battleship while sitting on headstones is a game. Caching is something else again. CR covered it.

Next. Caching consists of doing activites allwed in most all cemetaries. People like cemetareis, thats why they visit. For the most part, disrespect is as disrespect does. If you are enjoying the cemetary, you are not disrespecting it for whatever reason you are there. Caching included.

That said. For the OP, I'd place a cache on the edge and away from the markers. Your goal is to showcase the cemetary. Not bring cachers to one particular stone where someone can misinterpret what you are doing.

One of my favorite and first caches I did was the "whatcom Spirt Quest" series in Whatcom County, Washington. It takes you to 28 different cemeteries in the county. They are all very respectful and well done caches.

I remember going with my mom, and in two of the cemeteries she started crying because so many people (since we're so local) she knew were burried there. I half joked "mother, I'm never taking you on this quest again!" but then I saw a gravestone of someone I KNEW and got very quiet myself. It was bittersweet at those 3 places. The ones I hadn't been to before, however, I was thankful for the opportunity to find and pay respects.

My biggest concern with these is that the cache is no where that requires you to step on someone's grave or where they are buried. I hate stepping on people's graves. I'm not talking about the stone, just the site in general, unless I am paying respect. Thankfully I never found any of those, and the caches were usually on the fence/border of the cemetery or in a bush nearby.

I told my boyfriend about this thread, and how some people claim their GPS units don't work in such locations with a small chuckle. He's terribly afraid of ghosts. He said "it's not funny, Diana!" I said "I didn't say it was funny, it just made me think of you."

I actually am hoping to check out some local cemetery caches at my new home soon. I'll let you all know how well they were executed.

Tell me. Does it ever occur to you guys that the owners, relatives and friends of the gravesites in these cemeteries where their dearly departed are interred might have a different view?

We are all decended from people who fell short of living forever. Odds are you already know how you feel.

And no neither my wife nor I were upset by a cache placed in the Squirrel Cemetary where more than a few of her family have been laid to rest.

Tell me. Does it ever occur to you guys that the owners, relatives and friends of the gravesites in these cemeteries where their dearly departed are interred might have a different view?

We are all decended from people who fell short of living forever. Odds are you already know how you feel.

And no neither my wife nor I were upset by a cache placed in the Squirrel Cemetary where more than a few of her family have been laid to rest.

That's two. :anitongue:

Actually, yes, Team Cotati, I have been to several cemeteries where I have family buried. Without revealing where the caches were located, usually just outside the fence/boundary but not always, I have asked my parents and uncles what they thought since it's their family members buried there too. Guess what? :anitongue: OH MY GOSH! They thought it was great! To a person they ALL told me they think it is great since it is bringing people to cemeteries that would otherwise be forgotten. The one in the Marshall Cemetery (Marshall, IL) isn't far from the last remaining vault. One can follow the walkways and never step on a single grave if you want to go straight to the cache but unless you are heartless you will be distracted by the vault which is a beautiful beautiful thing to see. It is worth going whether or not you cache just to see it.

I spend most of my free time in cemeteries anyway by updating the newer cems and locating forgotten ones to transcribe for the county genealogical library. Caching has helped me to locate at least 10 that were never transcribed and the genealogy library didn't even know of those 10's existance. So, no, I have no problem with caching in or near cemeteries. The ones that we've logged finds on so far have been either micros, film containers, or decons hidden within trees. To find them one doesn't need to walk across the graves but it can be very distracting when you want to stop and read them and see who the "residents" are. My GPS literally won't work for me- I don't know why- inside cemetery boundaries so I have to triangulate or have the kids use it. They usually find the cache while I'm walking along slowly reading the stones.

I believe the disrespect comes by not taking an interest in who is there and in not taking care of the place. I didn't really understand what CITO meant but before we started caching I took bags with me and when visiting a cemetery to transcribe I would remove trash that had blown in or been left like cans/bags/bottles, etc.

However, if a cache were hidden on or at the base of a tombstone...that would bother me. But that is a PERSONAL belief. I personally think a cache inside a cemetery should be placed if not in a tree then somewhere at a respectful distance from a tombstone.

I think the question for people really amounts to "what is the 'proper' respectful distance?" and that is different for everyone. If I do visit a cemetery and find one is literally next to a stone I'll log a DNF and not go back. Cemetery hides are not for everyone. I happen to love cemeteries for the people and their lives that are commemorated in them. When I happen to see an unexplained "thing" that just adds to the experience (thank goodness it doesn't happen often as it's unnerving).

Forgot to mention, I get told a lot that I'm weird for liking cemeteries so that won't be news and that will make three of us! :anitongue:

The thread has gotten off the subject a bit. It started by the OP asking if anyone else has had trouble with their GPSr working properly for them within a cemetery boundary so the debate of whether one should cache or not within a cemetery is a gentle nudge off the subject.

I imagine if they have a problem with it, they'll bring it up to the cemetery owner, who of course granted permission for the cache to be there.

Actually, yes, Team Cotati, I have been to several cemeteries where I have family buried. Without revealing where the caches were located, usually just outside the fence/boundary but not always, I have asked my parents and uncles what they thought since it's their family members buried there too. Guess what? :anitongue: OH MY GOSH! They thought it was great! To a person they ALL told me they think it is great since it is bringing people to cemeteries that would otherwise be forgotten. The one in the Marshall Cemetery (Marshall, IL) isn't far from the last remaining vault. One can follow the walkways and never step on a single grave if you want to go straight to the cache but unless you are heartless you will be distracted by the vault which is a beautiful beautiful thing to see. It is worth going whether or not you cache just to see it.

I spend most of my free time in cemeteries anyway by updating the newer cems and locating forgotten ones to transcribe for the county genealogical library. Caching has helped me to locate at least 10 that were never transcribed and the genealogy library didn't even know of those 10's existance. So, no, I have no problem with caching in or near cemeteries. The ones that we've logged finds on so far have been either micros, film containers, or decons hidden within trees. To find them one doesn't need to walk across the graves but it can be very distracting when you want to stop and read them and see who the "residents" are. My GPS literally won't work for me- I don't know why- inside cemetery boundaries so I have to triangulate or have the kids use it. They usually find the cache while I'm walking along slowly reading the stones.

I believe the disrespect comes by not taking an interest in who is there and in not taking care of the place. I didn't really understand what CITO meant but before we started caching I took bags with me and when visiting a cemetery to transcribe I would remove trash that had blown in or been left like cans/bags/bottles, etc.

However, if a cache were hidden on or at the base of a tombstone...that would bother me. But that is a PERSONAL belief. I personally think a cache inside a cemetery should be placed if not in a tree then somewhere at a respectful distance from a tombstone.

I think the question for people really amounts to "what is the 'proper' respectful distance?" and that is different for everyone. If I do visit a cemetery and find one is literally next to a stone I'll log a DNF and not go back. Cemetery hides are not for everyone. I happen to love cemeteries for the people and their lives that are commemorated in them. When I happen to see an unexplained "thing" that just adds to the experience (thank goodness it doesn't happen often as it's unnerving).

I think that it is wonderful that your few family members have been authorized to speak for and make decisions for all others at that particular cenetery. However I doubt seriously that that is the case for the vast majority of cemeteries in this country. I actually wish that it were, then the issue of appropriatness and permissibility for such cache locations would be relatively easy to determine. That is, however not the case. The exception yet again does make the rule I suppose. Is it that you and your family think that your opinions and wishes in this regard are somehow more valid and important than others? Or do you actually speak for all others?

The Team also enjoys visiting cemeteries and has done so for many many years before this game of geocaching was invented. I still await the first time that someone asks me if it is ok to allow geocaching in the cemetery where my mother and her family are interred. Heckfire, I'd settle for someone going to the cemetery adminsitrators seeking the same permission. At least then there'd be a common authority for all concerned to go to. And who exactly do you think the cemetry administrators are going to side with if complaints are made?

Edited by Team Cotati

I imagine if they have a problem with it, they'll bring it up to the cemetery owner, who of course granted permission for the cache to be there.

Absolutely correct. I wonder if that permission would be in writing? :anitongue:

And we all know for sure that that has happened at least once and we know how that one went. :rolleyes:

But believe me, all of those cemeteries where such permission has been granted.....I have zero issue with. But of course I also have no vested interest either, the little difference that that might make.

Edited by Team Cotati

What difference would it make to you if it were in writing or not? Sounds like you are skeptical someone would ask permission.

Having things in writing especially in instances where dispute might arise later, in general, reduces the opportunity for confusion and misunderstandings to near zero.......that's why.

But do not worry, if I ever encounter someone geocaching in a cemetery where I DO have a vested interest, I won't be afraid to go to the administration and ask about it. I'd do the same wrt any other activity in there that I felt was inappropriate. I also would expect others to do the same.

Edited by Team Cotati

Wow it is clear that there are many opinions on this delicate subject. Let me say that when caching in a cemetery I often lose interest in the cache and instead take in the rich history that is in front of me. It would be a shame to say "no caches in cemeteries" and give up the opportunity to visit a place that one might not ordinarily. Of course any visit must be respectfully completed.

My 2 cents..

What difference would it make to you if it were in writing or not? Sounds like you are skeptical someone would ask permission.

my mom liked the cemetery caches most where she knew people who were there. She even commented on how nice it was to have a happy reason to visit. I think, much like everything in life, there will be those who think it is neat, and those who don't. I personally really like them.

And no, my GPS never went wonky there :anitongue: maybe if i took a believe with me it would though.

Wow it is clear that there are many opinions on this delicate subject. Let me say that when caching in a cemetery I often lose interest in the cache and instead take in the rich history that is in front of me. It would be a shame to say "no caches in cemeteries" and give up the opportunity to visit a place that one might not ordinarily. Of course any visit must be respectfully completed.

My 2 cents..

"Of course any visit must be respectfully completed." According to who?

Waymarking anyone?

Edited by Team Cotati

my mom liked the cemetery caches most where she knew people who were there. She even commented on how nice it was to have a happy reason to visit. I think, much like everything in life, there will be those who think it is neat, and those who don't. I personally really like them.

And no, my GPS never went wonky there :anitongue: maybe if i took a believe with me it would though.

That's one.

"Having things in writing especially in instances where dispute might arise later, in general, reduces the opportunity for confusion and misunderstandings to near zero.......that's why."

Edited by Team Cotati

This one is way off topic. Let's bring it back please...

Is it just me or does everbody's gps go nuts when you cache through a cemetery.Never happened before till my wife went to heaven.Maybe she's up there messing with me?

I've seen that some. I've wondered if there might be actions from the headstone minerals and such. That, and I have also wondered about signal bounce coming from all of the flat, hard surfaces around these locations. Since most *should* be outside the cemetery near the tree lines, trees might affect it too.

Edited by mtn-man

That's one.

"Having things in writing especially in instances where dispute might arise later, in general, reduces the opportunity for confusion and misunderstandings to near zero.......that's why."

ok whoops, didn't mean to quote that first time.

If i placed a cemetery cache I would certainly ask permission first though. Currently trying to contact someone for permission in two other places, in fact. None like this though :rolleyes:

Is it just me or does everbody's gps go nuts when you cache through a cemetery.Never happened before till my wife went to heaven.Maybe she's up there messing with me?

My 60CSx is usually 'dead on' in Cemetaries! (no pun intended.. no, Really!)

Don't forget, there is a lot of burried material in cemetaries. Stone, Cement, metal etc... The tombstones and headstones can cause some reflection as will any overgrowth in the form of trees.

The only time mine goes wild is when I'm pursuing the ever so ellusive "Urban Cache" in the down town areas of a big city.

Some cemetaries are set up as arboretums with trees and flowers and paths for strolling and benches for sitting and reflecting. They were designed for people to visit and enjoy the landscape.

If you are respectful, don't cause damage from walking around the area and are careful not to bother those who are there paying their respects to someone they lost I don't see a problem. And of course you should have permission for cache placement.

Some people do feel weird around cemetaries. My sister used to live near a cemetary and when she was selling her house there were people who came to look at the house and they immediately got back in their car and left when they saw the cemetary.

Stone, Cement, metal etc... The tombstones and headstones can cause some reflection as will any overgrowth in the form of trees.

Yep, I think it is reflected signals. It is like when you cache under trees after rain. I think the added water on the leaves flattens and smooths out the surface of the leaf and make it reflect signals more.

That brings up some interesting questions.

I once lived in a location that had property tax to support the local cemetary. That made that one public, which in turn if it has no rule against it, it's allowed. Permission granted.

Then you have the simple fact that you purchase a "Plot" and that gives all plot owners a defacto easment for access while there is "one manager" there are many, many owners. Plot owners and managers don't alwasy see eye to eye. The maintainer likes to be able to mow, they remove all obsticals to that end. Some of those "obsticals" are placed by mourning family members. We installed a trellis recently. We didn't ask. We own the ground. We will be dissapointed if it's removed by the uncaring unfeeling louts who maintain the place who are not showing us the proper respect. If they leave it, well then they are respectful of our wishes and they will get a mental nod of the hat. The day may come when I return the courtesy.

It's an interesting question with no cut and dry answers.

Edited by Renegade Knight

:anitongue: One last comment on the highjack-line: I honestly don't know if Marshall Cemetery cache has written permission. It has been there for years and the sexton that retired and the other employees knew all about it so I can only assume that yes, it has written permission from the board.

In view of the ones that I've asked my family about, yes, I can say they are speaking with authority. The ones I've asked them about are small long abandoned cemeteries. Since my ancestors are buried there I've researched all of the known buried persons to see if they were also related. The non-ancestors families have died out. I've tried to find any living members to let them know where their people are buried but there is no one. In the case of these small abandoned cemeteries there is no sexton to ask and the county doesn't have jurisdiction over them, just the landowner. :rolleyes:

The cemetery where my wife is buried has a cache.It is one the outside edge of the cemetery.If this one wasn't here i would place one.It's an old cemetery not very big.Alot of old headstones some have fallen over. Her mom was the first person to be buried there in about 150 yrs.The wifes uncle cleaned this place up.He cut all the brush out of it and had a sign made for it. As for the caretakers that would be her brother and myself.We cut the grass and keep the place clean.

Some cemetaries are set up as arboretums with trees and flowers and paths for strolling and benches for sitting and reflecting. They were designed for people to visit and enjoy the landscape.

If you are respectful, don't cause damage from walking around the area and are careful not to bother those who are there paying their respects to someone they lost I don't see a problem. And of course you should have permission for cache placement.

Some people do feel weird around cemetaries. My sister used to live near a cemetary and when she was selling her house there were people who came to look at the house and they immediately got back in their car and left when they saw the cemetary.

Out of every 100 cemeteries that you have driven past in your lifetime, how many were NOT designed for visitors?

Is it that you and your family think that your opinions and wishes in this regard are somehow more valid and important than others? Or do you actually speak for all others?

Or is it that you think your opinions and wishes outweigh the the rest of the families who have relatives buried there?

If a vote was taken by all those buried there, (while they were still living) I would bet the majority of them would not care.

The older the cemetery the more likely that those buried there had spent some time in their life playing and picnicking in a cemetery. It was once a common practice.

Is it that you and your family think that your opinions and wishes in this regard are somehow more valid and important than others? Or do you actually speak for all others?

Or is it that you think your opinions and wishes outweigh the the rest of the families who have relatives buried there?

If a vote was taken by all those buried there, (while they were still living) I would bet the majority of them would not care.

The older the cemetery the more likely that those buried there had spent some time in their life playing and picnicking in a cemetery. It was once a common practice.

Here's an idea, why not put it to a vote of all the living relatives of those same people who just happen to be dead and of course you would want to include the current plot owners who are still living. OR get the approval of the adminsitrators of the cemetery? I must admit though it seems much more 'up front' to let the families and current plot owners know in advance but I'd accept the permission of the Adminsitrators or Board of Directors......whoever. At least they know who it is that they are accountable to.

But do not worry, if I ever encounter someone geocaching in a cemetery where I DO have a vested interest, I won't be afraid to go to the administration and ask about it. I'd do the same wrt any other activity in there that I felt was inappropriate. I also would expect others to do the same.

Sure...get rid of a cache that might be enjoyable to many and may lead others to explore the cemetery further just because you don't like it.

:anitongue:

Here's an idea, why not put it to a vote of all the living relatives of those same people who just happen to be dead and of course you would want to include the current plot owners who are still living. OR get the approval of the adminsitrators of the cemetery? I must admit though it seems much more 'up front' to let the families and current plot owners know in advance but I'd accept the permission of the Adminsitrators or Board of Directors......whoever. At least they know who it is that they are accountable to.

If the cemetery administrator okays the cache, then there nothing to complain about.

If the cemetery administrator okays the cache, then there nothing to complain about.

Oh trust me pal, I'd complain, I'd complain loud and often. They might to ignore me, but I can assure you that I'd complain. And I'd do my damndest to contact and convince other's with a vested interest in the issue to do the same. I think we know who'd win that 'war'. :anitongue:

Oh trust me pal, I'd complain, I'd complain loud and often. They might to ignore me, but I can assure you that I'd complain. And I'd do my damndest to contact and convince other's with a vested interest in the issue to do the same. I think we know who'd win that 'war'. :anitongue:

Again, why would you deny others a pleasurable activity just because you don't like it?

I think your vision is a bit skewed there, buddy...from what I can see, you don't want to contribute as much as cause problems for fellow cachers.

Why do you geocache again?

We once placed a tape recorder on a grave around midnight on Halloween a while back (quite a while back actually). We taped on both sides (in other words, we returned, flipped the tape and left again), then drove home and listened to the tape.

What was on the tape?

Would you expect to hear anything?

Sometimes, there are reasons for the unexplainable (but we don't know the reason...or it wouldn't be "unexplainable" now would it??), sometimes there's a very logical answer to what happened.

Oh, sounds on the tape? NOTHING...except all the way to the end of side two, we heard what sounded like gunshots. It sounded like a group shooting together...seven times. The grave was that of a vet. True story. (but I don't know if it meant anything or not)

ETA: ooops....sorry, thought we were back to the signal in a cemetery thing....

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Well, some people aren't happy that there are caches near bridges, even with permission. Some aren't happy that they're in the wilderness, even with permission. Why should cemeteries be different?

Traditionally, cemeteries were treated no different than any other park, with picnics and (actual) games played there. In some places they still are.

Again, why would you deny others a pleasurable activity just because you don't like it?

I think your vision is a bit skewed there, buddy...from what I can see, you don't want to contribute as much as cause problems for fellow cachers.

Why do you geocache again?

Since I don't own or administer any cemeteries I won't be preventing a single person from doing any thing that their heart desires.

Since I don't own or administer any cemeteries I won't be preventing a single person from doing any thing that their heart desires.

Um...you just said...

So...again...why would you want to cause problems?

Um...you just said...

So...again...why would you want to cause problems?

Funny how someone asserting their rights is a 'problem'. I have stated more than once that I am willing to put it to a vote of those with a vested interest at the particular cemetery. Why does that translate to a problem for you? The majority say that it is ok, have at it, issue over....no problemo. The Administrators say that it is ok without consulting the vested interests....not ok. They might not respond to the wishes of the vested interests but I think that that is highly unlikely. Go for it though.