Are Ads going beyond "kid friendly?"

Hiking Cockroachess

Okay, at first I didn't mind the Google ads. The ones advertising GPSr units caused the site to load a bit more slowly, but I could deal with it. Websites don't come cheap, and I'm sure the money generated by these ads help deal with the costs of servers, etc.

That said, I'm an educator who uses this website with my students. Today I logged onto GC from work to find an ad running for "Find Your Perfect Lover." Is this the type of ad we want to have running on GC? In the past, I have been proud to introduce GC as a SAFE, FAMILY FRIENDLY, KID FRIENDLY website. The parents may raise an eyebrow about this, once their children log onto GC from home.

Is there any way that we can specify that ads be RELATED to our activity in some way, shape or form? Ads that offer to find one's "perfect lover" sound like they are just one step away from those annoying pop-up ads. I have a feeling that, if reviewed by school web monitors, this may cause them to block GC from our access.

Thanks for listening...

Okay, at first I didn't mind the Google ads. The ones advertising GPSr units caused the site to load a bit more slowly, but I could deal with it. Websites don't come cheap, and I'm sure the money generated by these ads help deal with the costs of servers, etc.

That said, I'm an educator who uses this website with my students. Today I logged onto GC from work to find an ad running for "Find Your Perfect Lover." Is this the type of ad we want to have running on GC? In the past, I have been proud to introduce GC as a SAFE, FAMILY FRIENDLY, KID FRIENDLY website. The parents may raise an eyebrow about this, once their children log onto GC from home.

Is there any way that we can specify that ads be RELATED to our activity in some way, shape or form? Ads that offer to find one's "perfect lover" sound like they are just one step away from those annoying pop-up ads. I have a feeling that, if reviewed by school web monitors, this may cause them to block GC from our access.

Thanks for listening...

You're a premium member. You shouldn't even see most (maybe any) of the Google ads. Have you checked your computer for trojans, spyware, adware, etc. lately?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This is not an appropriate ad for our site and I'm not sure how it got there, but I'm going to have it taken down as soon as possible. We'll investigate how this ad made it into rotation to make sure it doesn't happen again.

:huh: Elias

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This is not an appropriate ad for our site and I'm not sure how it got there, but I'm going to have it taken down as soon as possible. We'll investigate how this ad made it into rotation to make sure it doesn't happen again.

:huh: Elias

Thank you, Elias! My GeoJK Club for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders starts very soon. Between my two "sold-out" meeting dates per week, we'll be having over 36 kids perusing the website at school and at home. I truly want to portray geocaching in the best light possible.

~HC

Thanks Elias. :huh: The front page ad (which is Shopzilla... different than Google AdSense, I believe) is now back to a nice, friendly, appropriate one that invites us to compare GPS receiver prices. So long as the ads are relevant, I will continue to glance at them. I click on the ads occasionally when they are of interest to me, and someday one of those clicks will lead to a purchase. If the ad rotation strays away from the target audience, more people will activate ad blockers.

HC, that sounds like a cool program you're putting together. Thanks for your work. ;)

Wow, I've been using the adblock extension in Firefox for a while now and I never even knew there were Google ads on this site! Good to know the extension is working. :rolleyes:

I've already found my perfect lover, so it would be uncool for me to "find" her twice. Unless, of course, her coordinates have completely changed..... :anitongue:

:anitongue: Elias

Thank you, Elias! My GeoJK Club for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders starts very soon. Between my two "sold-out" meeting dates per week, we'll be having over 36 kids perusing the website at school and at home. I truly want to portray geocaching in the best light possible.

~HC

There you go.