Waypoints and Pocket Query - help confused

Thing One

Sorry - newbie question, but..

I am planning a trip next weekend. I have a Garmin 60CSx. I am a premimun member, but can't figure out how to map caches between my two traveling points. I did the pocket query thing, but I must be really dumb as it doesn't make sense. Any good reference websites on step by step instructions?

Thanks

Welcome to the Forums! :rolleyes:

I use my Mapsource maps to create a route and save it as a .gpx file which I then upload to "Caches Along A Route." This worked really slick when I made a 150-mile trip a few weekends ago.

I also use the Arc/Poly filter in GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to get caches along a route from individual PQs downloaded to my database.

Perhaps someone else can come up with better "Step by Step" instructions.

Welcome to the Forums! :rolleyes:

I use my Mapsource maps to create a route and save it as a .gpx file which I then upload to "Caches Along A Route." This worked really slick when I made a 150-mile trip a few weekends ago.

I also use the Arc/Poly filter in GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to get caches along a route from individual PQs downloaded to my database.

Perhaps someone else can come up with better "Step by Step" instructions.

what do you mean about arc/poly filter...it will create a route for you?

No, the Arc/Poly filter doesn't "create" a route for you, but it will give you caches on either side of a route you have created elsewhere, like in Mapsource.

The Arc/Poly filter is on the last tab of the "Filter Dialogue Box." Put in the name of a .gpx file of a route you have created in the blank, then put in the distance you want on either side of that route. Sometimes I make a route around the huge San Diego metropolitan area to get the caches I am likely to drive near while doing my errands. That is the best way for me to filter this very "cache-rich" area before putting the limited-number of waypoints into my GPSr.

Thanks for your response Miragee. I tried following you, but apparently I'm just not getting it. I don't understand how to transfer stuff from GSAK to my GPS. Of course, I haven't really taken much time to read the "how to" yet either. :-)

Mike - Thanks for pointing me to your FAQ, that I apparently overlooked in my searching for assistance. It helped me out partially, but I still had to do things manually. I'm sorry my question frustrated you so much, but there is a lot of information out there and I was having trouble wading through it all. I won't post any more here as to not frustrate the moderators.

I will wait until I meet other GeoCacher's to assist me further.

In GSAK, just go to GPS/Setup. Then, after you have done the Setup of your GPSr, go to GPS/Send Waypoints.

On that Dialogue box there are blanks for the Waypoint name and for the "Waypoint Description Format." You can use "smart name" codes to get a useful Waypoint name that gives you information about the cache.

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial that might be helpful.

:lol: Ok I feel real stupid. Miragee, I had downloaded it to my GPS. Another GeoCacher emailed me separately and was trying to help me. A light bulb came on a few moments ago and duh!!! The reason I was confused was lack of knowledge of using my GPS unit. When I would review items either under Geocaches or Waypoints I wouldn't see the new ones I loaded. (Why? --) Well because it is looking at my current location and only showing me X # of them closest to me. Since I was planning a trip a couple of hundred miles away from home coordinates, I wasn't seeing those. I played with the GPS, discovered how to change my location to view from (with a cool map) that let me see the Cache's I was thinking I didn't down load. Thank you so much for your responses. And the link was great!

Rachelle