Logging your Own Cache as FOUND

anakerose

I logged a DNF on one of my own caches once...

:lol:sga_embarrassed.gif:lol:

Likewise. And that was after the 3rd attempt (if memory serves me right). It is a particularily evil micro (OK, drop it, you micro-haters!) that someone had moved to a "better spot". I logged a DNF as a joke, but I must admit that I also logged a find once I finally found it.

That said... this was done as a joke. Normally... no. Even if its been moved and re-hidden, as unfortunately happens all too often. Finding those is part of your job as a hider.

Edited by knowschad

Oh, I'm much worse in person. Trust me. ;)

*makes mental note not to mention next time I travel to Iowa*

:laughing:

If you come to Iowa I'll make sure you have the royal treatment. My wife's cooking included.

I'll just (sniff) leave the state first. :lol:

Woohoo! Road Trip!

Home cooking. What a second. I'm am in Iowa. Where's the food?? Man there's no smiley for beening hungry.

Log your own hide as a find-NO!! Log a find and then adopt the cache-yes Log that you attend your event-ok

Log temps. NO!!

Just my opinion.

I have a cache that I now own but have logged it as a find twice in the past. It was my first find and after the local land managers were gripping about its location in '02 I moved it for the owners and logged it the second time as a found when I re hid the cache. And when the owners gave up caching I adopted it and don't plan on logging it again.

But I really don't care if one logs their own caches, I just look the other way and go on my merry way.

does it really make any differences in the Geocaching scheme of things? Really, you shouldn't worry too much about whether I choose to log my own caches or you choose to log an archived cache. I can guarantee that I won't lose any sleep over any of this.

The facts are clear, people can do it, people do do it and anyone who thinks they have a place in controlling others is mistaken.

Don't listen to the cretins here, it's your game, play it as you feel comfortable with.

Is it OK to walk around with your fly open, or toilet paper stuck to your shoe? Absolutely! Don't let anybody think they can control you by telling you that you can't. But is doing it the norm and might doing it subject you to ridicule?

It's not unusual for a relative newbie to want to know what the norms are in a community. Any of us who took anthropology knows that any community has its folkways, mores and taboos. The geocaching community is no different.

Is it OK to pick your nose in public, fart on a bus, or wear orange to a St Paddy's Day Parade? Sure. Don't let any "cretin" tell you differently. But what is the norm? The fact is that logging finds on your own caches is

not the norm in this community and to cloud it with "If it feels good do it" or "Anybody who tells you shouldn't is a cretin" answers is doing a disservice to the people who come here looking for earnest answers to earnest questions.

does it really make any differences in the Geocaching scheme of things? Really, you shouldn't worry too much about whether I choose to log my own caches or you choose to log an archived cache. I can guarantee that I won't lose any sleep over any of this.

The facts are clear, people can do it, people do do it and anyone who thinks they have a place in controlling others is mistaken.

Don't listen to the cretins here, it's your game, play it as you feel comfortable with.

Is it OK to walk around with your fly open, or toilet paper stuck to your shoe? Absolutely! Don't let anybody think they can control you by telling you that you can't. But is doing it the norm and might doing it subject you to ridicule?

It's not unusual for a relative newbie to want to know what the norms are in a community. Any of us who took anthropology knows that any community has its folkways, mores and taboos. The geocaching community is no different.

Is it OK to pick your nose in public, fart on a bus, or wear orange to a St Paddy's Day Parade? Sure. Don't let any "cretin" tell you differently. But what is the norm? The fact is that logging finds on your own caches is

not the norm in this community and to cloud it with "If it feels good do it" or "Anybody who tells you shouldn't is a cretin" answers is doing a disservice to the people who come here looking for earnest answers to earnest questions.

I agree completely. If you didn't take anthropology.........you don't know doggie poop. :blink::blink::D

Astounding.

BTW, my geocaching buds agree with me on this one. I think that one of them even took anthropology too. Not positive on that point but pretty sure. I'll check with him and get back to you.

Edited by Team Cotati

My opinion:

Under normal circumstances I would not log a cache that I own as a Find.

Exceptions:

-- A cache which I adopted before finding it. (Happened once.)

-- A cache which I had Found before adopting it. (Happened twice.)

-- A event I organized and then attended. (Hasn't happened yet.)

I also wish the website would allow multiple accounts to own a cache. There is one cache I helped place but I think it would be cheesy to log it as a Find.

EDIT: I also have logged a DNF on my own cache.

Edited by DanOCan

Perfectly said! :D

Yes it does. See Briansnat's post if you are unable to muster the wisdom to understand exactly why.

What worries you are or I is not the same thing as the answer to why it matters.

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything so I'd thought I'd ask. There was some discussion amoungst my geocaching friends about whether you could log your own hides as found. Is that appropriate?

The website has an issue in that if you co hide a cache only one of you will show up as "owning the cache".

I've seen the co-hider log the cache as a find since they don't get credit as an owner. I've done that in the past when I wanted total hide/find number to be accurate. Now I don't care and just ignore the cache if I'm the co-hider. Some people consider this a no no as well.

I wish the site would allow co-hides that count as being owned by all parties. For one thing you could contact all parties more easily if there is a cache problem.

I agree. I've logged the caches that I "co-own" because I want the cache in one location or the other - hid or found. Since the site doesn't give the option to have more than one owner, they're logged as found.

And then the 'excuse' makers jump in. Wonderful. :unsure::D:D

Don't listen to the cretins here, it's your game, play it as you feel comfortable with. I own two caches that I also logged as found.

of course I adopted them after I found/rescued them. sometimes, you just know what is right. :unsure:

Wow we're are'cretins' now eh? The funny thing is that everyone is agreeing that adopted caches are an exception. I don't think you read this thread at all, I think you just wanted to splash a little fuel on the fire. The issue was is it the 'norm' to log caches that you hid as a found cache. The answer is no that is not the 'norm'.

Does it happen? Yes.

Is it allowed? Yes.

Now, I will add my opinion here. I believe it is ok to log a cache as found if you did not hide it but now maintain it. Pre-adoption or post-adoption, you did not hide it. I believe it is in the gray zone to log a cache you were present at when it was hidden. Again, you did not hide it but you did know exactly where it was. I am indifferent to whether people log this or ignore it. I do not feel it is acceptable to log a cache as found if you yourself hid the cache, I also don't understand why you would want to. I do long attendeds on event that I host as this is not a cache even though it is listed as such. However, I do not log found it on events although I know people that do. (To clarify that last point, there is an option to log 'attended' and 'found it' on events - it will count twice if you log both and I don't want it to count twice)

EDIT: Wrong word

Edited by ZSandmann

Exactly; folkways, mores and taboos. For Pete's sake! Cretins? Geo-Police? To the name callers: This is not the 1960's, you don't have long hair, a beard and a peace sign medallion, and you are not sticking it to the man, man. :unsure:

Oh yes, I've logged a DNF to my own cache. I thought I was being zany, madcap, and original, but I guess not. :D

An exception which hasn't been noted in this thread: challenge caches. Previous discussions indicate that just about everyone agrees that owners of challenge caches should log finds when they complete the challenge, though perhaps leave FTF to someone else. Setting up a challenge cache generally does not place the owner in a significantly different situation from others attempting the challenge.

Edward

I guess if you are a confirmed Schizophrenic your alter ego might be able to log a find on your other alter ego's cache. You know, the one that your other alter ego hid. The one that your other alter ego posted a DNF on. Yes the same one you had a FTF on the same day that your other alter ego dropped it.

What about if someone that is a confirmed Alzheimer Sufferer. Maybe he hid a cache and forgot that it was his.

I guess you need to be certified to get away with that though.

If you are otherwise normal. NO you cannot find your own cache.

What about Finding a cache you've put a maintenance note on? My daughter and I found the location of a cache recently--I'd already marked it Found this summer, but it was her first time there--and the cache was destroyed. I put a Needs Maintenance note saying the cache was destroyed, but it didn't count as a find against her total, so I added a Found note for her, since we did actually find the container, altho the contents and the log were lost.