Garmin Legend CX Rubber Handhold/Button Cover Repair

Outspoken1

I have a eTrex Legend CX that the big rubber handhold/button cover is degluing (is that a word?) and stretching (almost falling off in my hand!). I saw a brief mention about this in the forums and the poster said it was a glue problem and that Garmin would cover it under warranty. Well, I'm a month or so out of warranty, but I figured I'd give Garmin a call. They very courteously said they would cover the repair and that I had to send it in because it was the color screen model (apparently the B&W model they just send you a repair kit). Since they said it would take 10 business days to return my GPSr, I mailed it that afternoon (Friday).

So this weekend I run into several other Geocachers and I am told by a fellow Geocacher (whose 5 month old Legend CX is doing the same thing!) that I should have not sent my GPSr back because Garmin is keeping my original GPSr and sending refurbished units back. Now I'm worried because I have a $20 Invisible shield on my GPSr and well as it is mine--not a refurb. Or is this all hearsay and I'm worried for no reason? I did send an email to Garmin about this, but (per the website), they won't get back to me for 3-4 days. Anyone had this repair done? Did I mess up? Is Garmin being unjustly maligned? (I did not own a GPSr for the first 50 years of my life and now I am worried about it like it was my dog!!!)

Thanks so much!!

Outspoken1

I received a package from Garmin today (09-18-07). There was an eTrex Legend Cx, but not the one I had sent in. From previous posts, I assume this is a refurbished unit. Hence, my Shield Zone screen protector is gone. My original Garmin is gone. I'm out $10. I wrote to Garmin about this and asked if this replacement unit has a warranty. I'll let you know what they reply.

If the unit was out of warranty, and the only cost of the repair was the $10 price of the shield, I guess I'd consider that a bargain.

I've been considering one of the shields for my Vista Cx. I take it you were extremely pleased with their product - fit, durability, all that?

Thanks.

Edited by TypoWiz

I've been considering one of the shields for my Vista Cx. I take it you were extremely pleased with their product - fit, durability, all that?

Thanks.

Absoutely pleased, I also put one on my brothers Garmin C330, one on my daughters Forerunner, all fits perfectly. Would not be without the "Shield", saved my unit from scratches, dings, etc.

Edited by canuck travellers