Geocache Police

Ed56

Here is Southern California we pride ourselves on having a live and let live philosophy. Sadly there are a few in the geocaching sport who can't leave well enough alone and want to be The Geocache Police.

These people take it upon theselves to criticize other people's caches, remove items that they deem inappropriate, and even move another persons cache to what they consider a "better" location. I have had all of the above happen to my cache. Where do these people get off?

If these people want to play cop why don't they go join the military or the police force where they can dominate other people to their hearts' content? Leave the rest of us alone and get a life.

Here is Southern California we pride ourselves on having a live and let live philosophy. Sadly there are a few in the geocaching sport who can't leave well enough alone and want to be The Geocache Police.

These people take it upon theselves to criticize other people's caches, remove items that they deem inappropriate, and even move another persons cache to what they consider a "better" location. I have had all of the above happen to my cache. Where do these people get off?

If these people want to play cop why don't they go join the military or the police force where they can dominate other people to their hearts' content? Leave the rest of us alone and get a life.

People can be jerks.

Are you cheesed because a reviewer disabled your cache this weekend? As stated in the DNF log you deleted, knowing that a cache is unavailable, but not disabling it, is discourteous to your fellow geocachers. In the case of your cache, the reviewer did the right thing. A volunteer cache reviewer *is* the duly constituted local geocaching sheriff.

Since you say you've suffered at the hands of the geocaching police, but you only own that one cache, I concluded that this is the situation you're referencing. If it's something different, please accept my apologies in advance.

I don't usually post in topics like this but I want you to know that I am deeply offended by this statement. As a member of a four generation military family and with a daughter and son in law who are both military police I can't believe that you would post that the military or the police force is a place that allows domination. The military has very strict rules and punishment for their members who step outside the boundaries of acceptable behavior towards other people, friend or foe.

You owe a very brave and unselfish group of men and women an apology.

I don't usually post in topics like this but I want you to know that I am deeply offended by this statement. As a member of a four generation military family and with a daughter and son in law who are both military police I can't believe that you would post that the military or the police force is a place that allows domination. The military has very strict rules and punishment for their members who step outside the boundaries of acceptable behavior towards other people, friend or foe.

You owe a very brave and unselfish group of men and women an apology.

I agree...I am retired Navy and I am offended!

I don't recall "dominating other people" I do remember helping people including providing food and water to people and helping them recover positions and start the clean up after the worst tornado in history!

But my memory may be flawed do to all of the brain washing YOU think I received!

Edited by GoBolts!

I am neither an ex-cop or ex-military, nor has anyone in my family been one, but I am offended by your statement. I used to live in an area of town that was undergoing transition and we had community policing and bike cops in the neighborhood. I got to know the police officers in my area and my house was open for them to get water or use the facilites whenever I was home. Many years ago while I was recovering from a very difficult surgery that required me to be off work for 2 months, these same police officers came to my house and mowed my yard, brought me lunch, took me to the grocery store because I was not allowed to drive and checked on me daily. I was not "family" to them, but they were there when I needed them and I was and am still grateful for them. Get over it. You disabled your own cache and nothing was done so it was archived. What is the big deal? Take care of it or leave it like it is, but don't complain.

And, I am most likely one of those people you would call a liberal, left-winged radical....but I do like and respect police officers and those who serve in the military.

"remove items that they deem inappropriate"

Yes Chuy! was way out of line for removing the matches you placed in the cache! :huh:

I too take exception to the negative generalized reference to military and law enforcement. I saw nothing I would categorize as dominating. Seems like someone may have just overestimated their own ability to be responsible for their own cache. You don't have to be an old time cacher to know it's no fun to try to find a place to sign a mushy, stinky log. There are plenty of them out there, but the fewer, the better.

Edited by HarleyPiper

I agree...I am retired Navy and I am offended!

I don't recall "dominating other people" I do remember helping people including providing food and water to people and helping them recover positions and start the clean up after the worst tornado in history!

But my memory may be flawed do to all of the brain washing YOU think I received!

I'm sure he got his entire knowledge of military life from watching Chuck Norris and Stallone movies. We all know how accurately they depict the military. :huh: Sounds like a stint in the military might be needed by some to realize what it really is all about. But then again, I don't want my military screwed up by some of these people.

He probably got his same knowledge about law enforcement from watching Reno 911 or from some XBox game.

Being retired military and retired LEO this type of comment doesn't offend me anymore. I just consider the source and realize they don't have a clue what they're talking about. I believe it's Jeff Foxworthy who says "Ignorance can be fixed, stupid is forever."

I really like this quote:

Yup, sure does sound like "live and let live philosophy". :(:huh::huh:

Go and read this one.

• GCGTVB

Looks like a legit Needs Maintenance log for a cache that has been in poor shape for over a year and half, with numerous complaints over that time.

Rather than starting a thread bashing people for making proper use of the Needs Maintenance log, I would have started one bashing lazy cache owners.

Lep has it right. If you don't have the time to take care of a cache, don't hide it.

The cache needs maintenance. True enough. That's no excuse for the rest of the log about making excuses. Life happens. Caching is what you do when life lets up.

I think the rest of that might reflect the frustration of some in the community with an owner who refuses to

take care of his caches.

Life happens, but he obviously was able to make the time to find over 50 caches since the first log that indicated a problem came in.

Life happens. Caching is what you do when life lets up.

Sometimes there are no excuses that work for me, if you have no time to cache because life has re-arranged your priorities I can understand that but in this case the cache placer just chooses to be unresponsive and uncaring, his actions are detrimental to the activity.

When I read the cache page the first Needs Maintenance was placed in October 2006, another shortly thereafter and a third was placed in February 2007. With the cache already having 3 Needs Maintenance logs the cache placer does not respond at all so suspecting that life may have taken a turn is a possibility. You can even see the cessation in activity after the first Needs maintenance log, further reinforcing the impression that things may not be good for caching in that persons life.

Then the cache owner goes caching in April, May, June, July and August and ignores his own cache which at that point had 3 Needs Maintenance logs. If you read the profile the cache placer appears to be busy trying to Find a cache in each state and apparently this takes priority over maintaining the caches he has placed. In April the cache placer is actually caching in Indiana and ignoring 3 Needs Maintenance logs! Surely you cannot be suggesting that this is OK?

I agree with you, life can interject and make caching go right to the back of the line, but that is not what is happening in this particular case. Apparently the lack of maintenance is a choice, not "life happening". It is only when the cache placers "choice" draws negative comments that he chooses to come out whining about standards and how busy he is.

I don't buy the excuses and anyone reading the profile can see that the cache owner is simply ignoring the Needs Maintenance log.

The cache needs maintenance. True enough. That's no excuse for the rest of the log about making excuses. Life happens. Caching is what you do when life lets up.

I think the rest of that might reflect the frustration of some in the community with an owner who refuses to

take care of his caches.

Life happens, but he obviously was able to make the time to find over 50 caches since the first log that indicated a problem came in.

The owner states in the cache description that the log is soggy and that potential finders will just have to put up with it. I see this as being a cache that needs SBAed! :huh:

...I agree with you, life can interject and make caching go right to the back of the line, but that is not what is happening in this particular case. Apparently the lack of maintenance is a choice, not "life happening". It is only when the cache placers "choice" draws negative comments that he chooses to come out whining about standards and how busy he is....

I tend to be more forgiving in the needs maintained arena because of the whole Pot calling the Kettle black thing. My own maintenance plate is full enough to where I can't call others out on it unless I got my own act together.

...The owner states in the cache description that the log is soggy and that potential finders will just have to put up with it. I see this as being a cache that needs SBAed! :huh:

It's there, you can find it in all it's soggy glory. If that's the only thing wrong with the cache it may be annoying, but it's not an archival offense.

The owner acknowledges yet refuses to do the proper maintenance. In my opinion, it's garbage right now and needs to be CITOed.

I tend to be more forgiving in the needs maintained arena because of the whole Pot calling the Kettle black thing. My own maintenance plate is full enough to where I can't call others out on it unless I got my own act together.

I hope it doesn't appear that I claiming to have my act together. I am not sure I even have an act. :huh:

I try to understand as well but when my understanding leads me to inescapable conclusions I accept them.

In this case the owner has chosen not to maintain his cache. An SBA may not be warranted but in my opinion the cache owner has chosen an approach which is detrimental to the activity.

In my opinion telling everyone the log is wet is not an acceptable form of cache maintenance and the cache owner seems to feel that it is.

You were warned on this cache of it's condition... if you dont want to find it, take off your log, and go away

No excuses work for me.

The real disconnect appears when you read the profile and see the cache placer talking about almost accomplishing his goal of finding a cache in every state just a few months ago, who cares.

...I agree with you, life can interject and make caching go right to the back of the line, but that is not what is happening in this particular case. Apparently the lack of maintenance is a choice, not "life happening". It is only when the cache placers "choice" draws negative comments that he chooses to come out whining about standards and how busy he is....

Anybody, particularly those of use who own a lot of caches, may have a few caches we probably should have attended to a bit more promptly, but a year and a half? I call black.

Is it just me or has this thread been entirely hijacked by the Indiana cache offered as an "example of proper use of 'needs maintenance'?"

Wasn't the topic "geocaching police" in CA?

From the looks of the OP cache in question, it has been about a month since the owner acknowledged the problem. Lep indicated the OP deleted the "offensive" log so we don't really know what we are commenting on. I also suspect the cache page has been edited too.

Since the "geocaching police" is actually the local reviewer, this thread seems to be a bit of much ado about nothing (apologies to the Bard).

In some ways we are a self policing organization. I have removed inappropriate items from caches (lighters for example) and have given need maintenance notes. On the other hand, I have also replaced log books, pencils, etc in other peoples caches and not made a big deal of it. Finding rusty Altoid tins with mush log books is just not the image of caching that I want people to come to expect. Since in many cases approval must be gotten to place caches, I think they should resemble a thoughtful container and hide rather than trash. Not attending to a cache for 1.5 years tells me that the owner should not have placed it.

But since it has been hijacked, what the heck...

Yeah, that' a prime example of a carpy note from a cache owner attacking a cacher for a justified "Needs Maintenance" log. It kind of makes you bristle to read something like this. The thing is, I get that same feeling when I read unnecessarily scathing, negative logs by finders who just don't like a cache and I don't really see a difference.

Edit: Changed SBA to Needs Maintenance.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

"Self-policing" working to its full potential.

Sometimes self-policing is necessary. There was a cache published a few weeks ago (in time for the start of the school year) that was placed near a Catholic girls high school, and encouraged finders to go at dismissal time! I couldn't make this one up, it really happened. It got by the reviewers, but was archived after a week or so due to complaints. I do believe however, that all the complaints were anonymous.

I'm a 22 yr. military guy (retired), and I thought the Military Police line was slightly over the top, but I'm not ridicuously offended or anything. :rolleyes:

Sometimes self-policing is necessary. There was a cache published a few weeks ago (in time for the start of the school year) that was placed near a Catholic girls high school, and encouraged finders to go at dismissal time! I couldn't make this one up, it really happened. It got by the reviewers, but was archived after a week or so due to complaints. I do believe however, that all the complaints were anonymous.

I'm a 22 yr. military guy (retired), and I thought the Military Police line was slightly over the top, but I'm not ridicuously offended or anything. :rolleyes:

I find it just a tad disturbing that any action would be taken based upon anonymous statements.

I'm a 22 yr. military guy (retired), and I thought the Military Police line was slightly over the top, but I'm not ridicuously offended or anything. :huh:

I find it just a tad disturbing that any action would be taken based upon anonymous statements.

In this case there had to be reports to the reviewer by people under their player accounts, not really "anonymous", as I said previously. There are no public SBA's (unless they've been deleted, which is quite possible). From what is visible to me on the cache page (and I didn't see it until after archival) is just the reviewer showing up after a week or so, and deeming the cache description "inappropriate". :rolleyes:

...The owner acknowledges yet refuses to do the proper maintenance. In my opinion, it's garbage right now and needs to be CITOed.

Refusing is a bit much even for my low standards. The least they could do is say they will get around to it when they are damned good and ready. :huh:

That's exactly what this owner is saying. This way of thinking may be fine with some aspects of life but the owner did just like the rest of us cache owners and checked the box saying that he read and understood the guidelines when he submitted the cache. Those guidelines incorporate this paragraph:

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

This paragraph seems very straightforward and to the point. The cache needs maintenance and the owner is making lame excuses for not doing that maintenance. It's obvious that this cache needs to be taken out of it's misery! :rolleyes:

Is it just me or has this thread been entirely hijacked by the Indiana cache offered as an "example of proper use of 'needs maintenance'?"

Wasn't the topic "geocaching police" in CA?

From the looks of the OP cache in question, it has been about a month since the owner acknowledged the problem. Lep indicated the OP deleted the "offensive" log so we don't really know what we are commenting on. I also suspect the cache page has been edited too.

Since the "geocaching police" is actually the local reviewer, this thread seems to be a bit of much ado about nothing (apologies to the Bard).

I'm going to second the sentiments of the wise oriental feline. I'll also applaud Bushlight for one of the most successful thread hijackings of all time. :huh:

So can we forget about the Indiana cache, and get back to discussing the cache that the OP has a problem with?

Or should we discuss ice cream flavors again? I imagine the OP has plenty of time to enjoy that treat with his broken ankle. I'm in the mood for some Edy's French Silk right now. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear of your injury.

I understand that this has been interpreted as disparaging towards the armed forces and law enforcement :rolleyes: . I have the utmost respect for those professions (even if I do tease in my logs! :huh: ) But as for the original thread, what about it? What geocacher has the right to move another's cache? B) I talked to a cacher in Nashville who had "fellow" cacher entirely remove hers and distribute the TBs without consulting her or the local reviewer. I've also heard of instances in IL where the cache was removed without the owner's knowledge, or reported to a reviewer without first privately consulting the owner. Perhaps the CA cache had some issues, but I've heard of more than a few instances in more than one state where "geopolice" have assumed responsibility of "policing" the caches and cachers. Emphasis: :D I am not belittling those who serve and protect us in the real world, but where did the "geopolice" get their training? :D

Edited to reflect the fact that the thread had been hijacked, and the whole business about the soggy log was referring to another cahce, NOT the OP's cache.

Never mind.

Edited by TeamEcuador

I think we all should be policing ourselves. That includes removing inappropriate items and even...gasp...criticizing poor caches. While I do not think that moving a cache to a "better" location is within the realm of what folks should do, I have moved one cache from where I found it.

I found the container completely exposed due to recent weed trimming. I moved it about 3 feet and immediately wrote to the owner to advise her of the situation. I sent her pics of the before and aftera and offered to return and place the cache as I'd found it. This was part of a series of hers and a number had been having muggle problems recently and I was pretty sure she'd appreciate the anti-muggle precaution I took. She did and all was good.

This was a rare case and not something I would do lightly. If coords appear to be off, I simply note that in my log so the owner can determine if it is where it should be. Of course, if a cache has been muggled or ani-muggled, I try to put it back together as best as I can and place where I think it was supposed to go. Then I'd write the owner after posting a NM log.

I have found a number of caches that I don't think follow every aspect of the guidelines. Usually, I make a decision as to whether or not to either finish my search or to actually retreive if I do find it. If I think it is really a problem, I'll write to the owner with my concerns. Only if it is especially egregious will I either log an SBA to alert the reviewer.

Well, I guess I should go buy a badge, since I seem to fit two out of three othe OPs criteria for "Cache Police of CA".

Yes, if there is a problem with your cache, I will "criticize" it! Things like "No Trespassing" signs and a bison tube cache with no container size listed are things I have felt appropriate to mention in my logs. I also tend to send emails to cache owners pointing out issues. Poorly placed caches and misleading logs reduce other folks enjoyment of the hobby--I think that a cache owner should be prepared to her about any issues with their cache.

Yes, if there is an inappropriate item I will remove it (even if I don't have a trade)! I have removed fireworks, matches, pocket knives, and even a single-serving bottle of vodka. There are definate standards and guidelines of what is not appropriate.

Instead of making remarks about those who protect and serve, maybe the OP should learn to take criticism in stride, and make sure that their caches meet community standards...

Dave_W6DPS

See the Vigilante Guideline Enforcement thread. Interestingly, that thread was also started by someone in California.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=172080