Poison Ivy

Jedi Cacher

I contracted a bad case of poison ivy or possibly poison oak on a recent visit and caching trip to Kansas. I've had it for about a week and instead of getting better it is getting worse. :huh: I've tried Calamine, Benydral, Cortisone 10 and Ivy dry.

Are there any cachers out there that have any suggestions for a good remedy?

I contracted a bad case of poison ivy or possibly poison oak on a recent visit and caching trip to Kansas. I've had it for about a week and instead of getting better it is getting worse. :huh: I've tried Calamine, Benydral, Cortisone 10 and Ivy dry.

At this point, I would suggest going to your doctor for a Z-pack. Aveeno is a good solution when cases are mild. Another good preventative/early solution is Technu. I used to work outside doing fiber optics and the company provided us with Technu and I find it works extremely well for me in preventing it. It can help after it is too late also.

I would take Geoscooter's suggestion and see a doctor. After a week it should be getting better, at least not worse, even if you hadn't done anything about it. You do know, of course, that the remedies that you already have tried may need to be used for a few days before they have any affect. Good luck!

You're sure it's PI and not chiggers? A bad case of chiggers can look and feel like PI and can last for weeks. Here's a test: Run scalding hot water over the affected area. If it feels good, it's PI. If it just burns, it's chiggers. BTW, if it's chiggers the bugs are already gone by the time it starts itching.

If it is getting worse and not better, then the inflammatory oil is probably still on something like your clothes and boots or walking stick and you are repeating your exposure to it. You shoulld thoroughly wash anything that you had with you on the day of contact. Anything that can't be washed should be at least wiped down with alcohol.

This article may help:

Cacheopedia article on poison Ivy

I've also had several bad cases of poison ivy from geocaching in the spring before the leaves were out on the PI; but all parts of the plant can give you the rash: roots, stems, and dried leaves. If you've had symptoms for a week and are getting worse, you should call your doctor right away. You may be given RX steroid pills, as I was, and possibly an antibiotic to prevent infection. My doctor also prescribed taking Benadryl to help with the itch, and soaking my arms and hands ( where I had the rash) in a solution made with "Dombro" powder; it may be available at some pharmacies.

A good web site for information on poisonous plants is http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/medicine.html

there is a plant known as toad flax or or touch me not it grows about waist height and bears yellow or orange flowers the seed pods look like minature bananas if you touch the seed pods when they are ripe they explode hence the name touch me not the flowers look similer to a snapdragon but much smaller, grows wild pretty much every where. the stem is quite crisp and when broken produces a white latex wich spread on the poision produces instant relief.

I just got into some this weekend.

My trick is to immediately wash all of my affected clothes with some diluted bleach added to the wash and wipe down any of my gear that the bleach won't destroy. I do this before I wash myself so I don't to get more of it on me later. Then I get in the shower and wipe myself down with bleach everywhere except the face and sensitive parts then bath as normal. Bleach breaks down the oil that causes the reaction. I'm sure some experts out there won't like this idea but it works for me.

I also have some 20 year old prescription salve that still works really good called Lindex cream if blisters pop up. I think they banned it. Brain damage in monkeys or something. It is some kind of bleaching agent as well. It'll fade a good tan.

Good luck.

Happy Hunting!

I found a product called "Super Ivy Dry" and keep it with me when I go out caching. I once ended up thigh deep in a patch of PI, and had to wade 0.2 miles through it (and back), wearing shorts. When I got back to my truck, I swabbed both legs down with this stuff, and not one itchy place ever showed up. The label indicates it is for the treatment of poison ivy, but I use it as a preventative immediately after exposure and so far it is working.

You're sure it's PI and not chiggers? A bad case of chiggers can look and feel like PI and can last for weeks. Here's a test: Run scalding hot water over the affected area. If it feels good, it's PI. If it just burns, it's chiggers. BTW, if it's chiggers the bugs are already gone by the time it starts itching.

Awesome! It worked, but now I have third degree burns. Oh well, lesser of two evils I guess.

An old country farm remedy is to use Turpentine....yes, I know, it sounds strange but it really does work.

I had contracted PI from secondary contact with the ex...got it in some places we don't want to ever have PI... :rolleyes: After buying at least one of every remedy the drugstore had, I finally ran into someone who got me to try the turps.

We're not talking paint thinner here, but good old fashioned turpentine.

Swab it on with either cotton pads or something else disposable. It will feel very cold at first...after about 15 minutes if it is uncomfortably warm it can be wiped off. Repeat 3 or 4 times a day.

My PI was dry within 48 hours after suffering for at least 10 days trying all those nice things that didn't work.

It's not my first choice of perfume but it sure worked.

When I was a Girl Scout in the 70s (actually I still am a GS leader) we would wash the affected skin area ASAP with Fels Naptha soap. Fels Naptha It is kinda like a laundry soap, but comes in a bar.

I remember also using jewel weed Jewel Weed on the bumps. It grows near water like rivers and small streams.

I agree that a visit to the doctor is a good idea.

Good luck.

I used to use Ivy Dry all the time. I bought a product called "tecnu" at a local drug store. It's an outdoor skin cleanser. You can use it as a lotion and also diluted for laundry (also on pets) to remove the oils produced by Poison Ivy, oak and sumac. You can use it within 2 hours of exposure to keep from getting the rash. If you get the nasty rash using this will help promote the healing.

I've had it real bad years ago and did have to go to the hospital for treatment. So, I've learned to recognize it and do what I can to prevent it.

So, to all you cache hiders. Please don't hide caches in these plants

Well finally a topic I think I can claim to be an expert on. I get PI very, very, very bad and very easily. I have had my eye almost swell shut, my face swell up (seperate ocassion) and have it so bad below my knees on both legs it was like I had PI chaps on.

With that being said I have tried Benedryl, Calamine, etc, Oatmeal, Bleach, and various other things.

This summer I finally broke down and bought Technu when I had gotten in it and started breaking out. It took the itch/irritation away immediately, did not weep, and went away quicker then normal. On top of that to test Technu's effectiveness (yes I am that stupid at times) I purposely got PI on me again in the same place that had broken out. Went home and used the Technu and got no new break outs of PI. I will forever be a Technu user and has made for much less miserable times.

For what it is worth I did not seem to get any relief from Benedryl (topical or oral) but did have less itching with taking allergy medicine (can only take 1-3X daily on the ones I have seen) and anti-infammatories (Ibuprofen). Have not needed to take this approach since finding Technu. Worth every penny of the $6-7 per bottle.

Boy I am glad I am immune to PI! Both me and my Dad are immune tho my Mom is not.

Be careful with this immune idea. I had exposed myself enough times I figured I must be immune, until I broke out on both legs this summer.

Hot showers, followed by a layer of benadryl cream (covered lightly with a gauze pad at night or when wearing long pants) seemed to help. The benadryl spray was also good for during the day.

Well finally a topic I think I can claim to be an expert on. I get PI very, very, very bad and very easily. I have had my eye almost swell shut, my face swell up (seperate ocassion) and have it so bad below my knees on both legs it was like I had PI chaps on.

With that being said I have tried Benedryl, Calamine, etc, Oatmeal, Bleach, and various other things.

This summer I finally broke down and bought Technu when I had gotten in it and started breaking out. It took the itch/irritation away immediately, did not weep, and went away quicker then normal. On top of that to test Technu's effectiveness (yes I am that stupid at times) I purposely got PI on me again in the same place that had broken out. Went home and used the Technu and got no new break outs of PI. I will forever be a Technu user and has made for much less miserable times.

For what it is worth I did not seem to get any relief from Benedryl (topical or oral) but did have less itching with taking allergy medicine (can only take 1-3X daily on the ones I have seen) and anti-infammatories (Ibuprofen). Have not needed to take this approach since finding Technu. Worth every penny of the $6-7 per bottle.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. ;) Going on 8 days now and is not getting any better. A coworker of mine also recommended Technu and am heading to the drugstore to give it a try. My coworker told me he contracted poison ivy from burning a slash pile on his property a few years back. By inhaling the smoke he got the rash on the inside of his nostrils and mouth, and most of his body. :huh: Ouch!

I know I'm late to the discussion, and am seconding (thirding) the advice to see a physician, but I had a son who was very sensitive to the poison plants (as was my dad). Even if he cleaned thoroughly and promptly, it would continue to worsen for a week and eventually erupt everywhere. Since it's contact dermatitis, it's counterintuitive that he would break out evenly all over when we had been pretty diligent in our cleanup. Eventually we learned to go for shots and a prednisone or prednisolone (Medrol) oral course. We did have to be a little forward to have it taken seriously, but ten days of misery over something that could be alleviated easily doesn't make sense.

I will, though, look into the technu that others have suggested as an addition to our caching bags.

Best of luck,

ms south

I finally became allergic this year. I had to do the steroids. UGH. I don't EVER want to have to do those again.

After my last BIG exposure I had no reaction at all. I have no idea which one did the trick, but I:

1. Covered myself in Buji Block before.

2. Showered with Fels Naptha afterwards

3. Scrubbed with Zanfel after the shower.

No reaction at all! I don't know which one did it, but something worked!

there is a plant known as toad flax or or touch me not it grows about waist height and bears yellow or orange flowers the seed pods look like minature bananas if you touch the seed pods when they are ripe they explode hence the name touch me not the flowers look similer to a snapdragon but much smaller, grows wild pretty much every where. the stem is quite crisp and when broken produces a white latex wich spread on the poision produces instant relief.

I believe this touch me not plant is also called Jewel Weed and is suspose to work very well at preventing PI out break initially - my brother saw it demo'd once with amazing results. It grows in wet areas near creeks and is quite common. put it on if you think you have been exposed and you will smell like a weed. Idon't know if it works after the rash has broken out.

Boy I am glad I am immune to PI! Both me and my Dad are immune tho my Mom is not.

Just stay the heck away from other people and anything they might touch if you have the oil on your clothes. I also know from past experience that the day your Mom gets poison oak from doing the laundry is the day you start doing your own. :huh:

Just another thought while on the subject - Avon has a product similar to Sunsreen that prevents getting PI and can be applied before caching. Maybe someone out there has tried it and can comment on how effective IT is.

I've heard it's pretty good, but your gear and clothes will still be untouchable until you wash them well.

Who me? Paranoid?

I cast my vote for 'Technu'. It's produced by Oak-n-Ivy Brand. When the Mrs gets PI it's serious. Last time, she ended up in the hospital. Me, I could practically roll around in it without much trouble. It has two parts, the first is your standard clear calamine lotion, the other (the best part) is the Technu. It removes the irritating oils before they can mess you up. Works on skin, clothes, dogs, ect. You can find it at most any pharmacy.

I contracted a bad case of poison ivy or possibly poison oak on a recent visit and caching trip to Kansas. I've had it for about a week and instead of getting better it is getting worse. :rolleyes: I've tried Calamine, Benydral, Cortisone 10 and Ivy dry.

:anitongue: Little bleach in your bath water

Edited by Noonski

I got PO while clearing it from our property before my daughters wedding. I tried bleach and calodryl. neither worked. After it blistered up, I switched to technu and calodryl. Although it did lessen the itching, it took about 3 weeks to run its course. I was a small patch on my forearm, but it was stubborn. Technu works best if you can catch it right away and wash off the oils before they really sink in. I keep a tube in the shower now and scrub up really good with it if I know I have been around the stuff. I am always careful to avoid it now, but you just never know where this sport will take you.

What about Ivy Block, a lotion you use before you go out to help prevent PI. I've heard that it works well. Anyone have any practical experience with it?

Just remember the oils from the plants stick to your clothes and shoes as well not just your skin. So, protecting your skin with the lotion can help. But, when you get home and take off you clothes and throw them in the laundry basket you potentially effect the rest of the clothes.

I've gotten it from petting my dog who has walked through poison ivy. The oil transfer from his fur to my skin. The lotions can only do so much.

My son and I are immune, hubby and step-daughter are not.

We found the best treatment is to soak a washcloth with Rubbing Alcohol (75% or 91% either will work fine). Wipe your entire body with the cloth. This breaks down the urushoils from the plant. If you just take a shower you end up spreading the oils to other areas. Also you can wipe your boots, gps, walking stick and pack with rubbing alcohol without ill-effect like staining or deterioration like bleach can cause.

Wash your clothes in hot water with 1/4 cup of bleach.

Remember to wash your sheets with the bleach solution and then wear long socks and long sleeping pants and a long sleeve shirt to sleep in and chance your pajamas every night for 4-5 nights as to not contaminate anything else.

Hubby also found this great product at Rite Aid/Walgreens called Zanfeld. It is a pumice scrub that kills/breaks down the urushoils. It cleared his poison ivy up in 3 days and left a slight redness for a total of 6 days. Unfortunately it costs $40, but Rite Aid now has the generic brand name for $22.

Hope you find some relief soon!

Take Care,

TDPR&C