GPS for a Mountain Bike

jdwest32

Hi

I am looking for a GPS for my Mountain. I already have a 76CSx but it it too big and bulky and i dont want to damage it on the trail. I have been using it but putting it in my camelback. I would like one mounted on my handle bars. Yes I know they make a mount for my 76CSx. I am looking for a small one that i can still upload my track data to my comp and would be campatable with the software I already own (topo2008). So it has to be a garmin and one that can upload maps to. I dont care if it is color but that would be ok too.

thanks

j

:(

I have used my legendC and vistaCX both with a garmin bike mount on my mountain bike. They both get around 30hrs of use on a set of batteries(no backlighting) so I rarely need an extra set of batteries. Only real issue is trying to use the click stick while moving, since it's a directional pad and the enter button all in one, it makes it pretty tough to control if you hit any bumps you end up clicking when you just trying to move though the menus or pan the map. The separate direction pad and enter button on the 60 series is much easier to use while moving.

Since garmin released the legendHCX and VistaHCX I have thought about upgrading, the better chipset in the H models would be nice in the woods.

Edited by hogrod

I ride with a Legend CX on my Stumpjumper and Rockhopper. I have no problems reading the screen even in bright sunlight and its small size is not obtrusive. It has not yet lost a signal but the woods are not that thick around here. I have to agree though, if you are looking at getting a new GPS get one of the "H" models; the high sensitivity chip is definately a plus. My only complaint is that I would prefer to mount my GPS on the stem instead of the handlebar and no one makes a good stem mount.

I would buy either the Edge or a Foretrex / Forerunner. They are as small as a bike counter, so a fall wouldn't damage them.

And the Edge 205 and 305, the Forerunner 205 and 305 have SiRF III.

But none of the current Edge or Forerunner series have the ability to upload maps. The new 705 series will have that ability but is not due out for sometime.

I would buy either the Edge or a Foretrex / Forerunner. They are as small as a bike counter, so a fall wouldn't damage them.

And the Edge 205 and 305, the Forerunner 205 and 305 have SiRF III.

But none of the current Edge or Forerunner series have the ability to upload maps. The new 705 series will have that ability but is not due out for sometime.

do you lave a link for the 705 series?

thanks to everyone for your help