Firefox Access

thedeadpirate

Anyone else having a problem accessing the boards using firefox?

I was posting away and suddenly all I could get was the first post in the thread with the last post's # and then a listing of posts in the thread.

Very weird. I didn't change anything. Just the next time I hit reply, this is what popped up.

forums.jpg.gif

And I get that for every post everywhere. I tried loading up IE and I got in.

I'm thinking something is wrong in my firefox, althought GC is the only site having problems. I'm fixing to go clear cache and turn of all plugins, etc. I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing this before I do anything drastic.

Near the upper right hand corner there is a button for "options." This is directly below the "Add Reply" and "New Topic" buttons. Click it and a drop down menu while reveal some "Display Modes." It looks like you somehow selected "Switch to: Outline." (It probably just says "Outline" right now.)

Next time it happens select "Switch to: Standard" and you should be good to go.

Edited by CoyoteRed

I use Firefox and I have noticed that myself every now and then. The 1st time it happened, I thought I must have done it accidentally somehow. But it is happened at least 3 other times and I am sure I didn't do it on them. This just started in the last few days, too.

Same here. It changed one day and I thought I had accidently bumped the setting.

And just to point this out once more since several people have reminded me of the mode options which I was already aware of. If you accidentally change modes, that will not cause the first post to show the post number of the last post in the thread. In this case the post # showing is 23451 but should have been #1. That is what immediately caught my attention.

My main concern though is that for the last week the boards have been extremely flaky. In several threads I have participated in I have noticed numerous double posts and occasionally even triple posts.

I've experienced 5 to 10 minute spans of time that the boards would not load and I can't even remember how many times while posting that I've either had the boards time out or I received cgi errors.

So, when this happened, my first thought was that it was related to the issues that I've experienced for the last week. Once I logged in with IE and everything seemed ok, I figured it was time to start clearing firefox. I just didn't want to start messing with settings if it was a board issue.

I would be interested in finding out if anyone else has experienced or observed these same issues over the last week.

The occasional double post is normal, but I've seen a lot of people double posting, which usually happens when it takes a long time for your post to post. I've learned to copy my post then click once and just wait for it either post, to time out or error out. I then reload the page if it errors out and check to see if my post actually got posted. If not, then I paste in my post and try again.

This has been really bad the last week.

I'm guessing though that since no one has mentioned similar issues, that it must be specific to my browser and cleaning everything last night will hopefully fix it.

But if you've noticed the same problems, please post them here.

Thanks.

I use Firefox and I have noticed that myself every now and then. The 1st time it happened, I thought I must have done it accidentally somehow. But it is happened at least 3 other times and I am sure I didn't do it on them. This just started in the last few days, too.

Have you also noticed problems with posting? Have you experienced an unusual amount of timeouts when trying to post or have you experienced cgi errors while posting?

Do you leave yourself logged in to the forums or do you log out and then back in each time?

Logging out of Geocaching.com does NOT log you out of the forums.

If you leave yourself logged in then someone else might be changing your settings.

Same here. It changed one day and I thought I had accidently bumped the setting.

Do either of you use any addons like greasemonkey?

I'm trying to determine if there may be an issue with a greasemonkey script I use.

Do you leave yourself logged in to the forums or do you log out and then back in each time?

Logging out of Geocaching.com does NOT log you out of the forums.

If you leave yourself logged in then someone else might be changing your settings.

I stayed logged in at all times. I am in the forums on an almost constant basis. No one else uses my computer and no one has changed my settings.

When this happened last night I was actually in the midst of a fast moving thread and was posting as fast as I could read replies. Then suddenly when I hit the reply button, I experienced the issue above.

Again, the weird thing about it is that not only did the mode change, but the post showing was the first post in the thread but the post number was for the last post in the thread. And that was the only post in that thread that would show. Assuming it was a simple mode change I should still have been able to go to subsequent posts in the thread. That was not possible.

The only thing that worked was deleting cookies.

I don't have the greasemonkey add-on and I don't always log out of the forums, but I am the only here that could use the computer. I have noticed a time-out issue when I try to post at times.

Then that probably rules out a script issue. Do you have other addons?

I have AdBlock Plus and the dictionary.

Just doing some testing and found that about half the time that you switch to outline mode it will exhibit what I found last night. That is that once you are in outline mode, you can only navigate to the first post in the thread no matter what page you choose and that the first post will show the number of the last post in the thread.

The other half of the time it works as it should. That being you may navigate within the thread by clicking on posts and you can choose to move to other pages. The post numbers also show incorrectly.

I just tried a few threads and if I click on a multipaged thread, I see the first post with the post number of the last post in the thread. For instance, in Cheers you will see the first post but it will have #9501 by it. If I then click >> to go to the last page in that thread I then get the first post then shows with the #1 by it.

What is really weird is in LPS in Off Topic, if you click on the last few pages you get the following error message:

forums.gif

At least now I am able to move between modes without a problem. But there is definitely something wrong with outline mode.