Garmin Trip & Waypoint Manager on Windows 98

BelchFire

Please, PLEASE tell me that there is a version, fix, patch, whatever that will allow Garmin's Trip & Waypoint Manager to run on Windows 98. Nothing I read had any system requirements before I purchased. NOw I can't run the software.

And if that's not bad enough, I have Topo US 2008 on order. Do I need to cancel that order before it ships?

Do I have any options? Pleeeeze?

If Topo 2008 comes with the newere version of Mapsource (XP and Vista only), you might try this link:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3313

It is Mapsource for Legacy Operating systems such as 98 SE.

If you want a good waypoint manager, try GSAK (http://gsak.net/)

It's not free but as a Windows app, it can't be beat! I THINK it works on 98.

Steve

Please, PLEASE tell me that there is a version, fix, patch, whatever that will allow Garmin's Trip & Waypoint Manager to run on Windows 98. Nothing I read had any system requirements before I purchased. NOw I can't run the software.

And if that's not bad enough, I have Topo US 2008 on order. Do I need to cancel that order before it ships?

Do I have any options? Pleeeeze?

Well, Garmin finally returned my email and sent me the same link you did. And the problem doesn't seem to be solved, although I haven't tried the install yet. The Legacy System download page specifically says "WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product." Well, DUH! I own it, but I can't get it off of the CD, so how will it know I own it? There seems to be a major faux pas is their logic.

edited for digitus largus erronius.

Edited by BelchFire

Well, Garmin finally returned my email and sent me the same link you did. And the problem doesn't seem to be solved, although I haven't tried the install yet. The Legacy System download page specifically says "WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product." Well, DUH! I own it, but I can't get it off of the CD, so how will it know I own it? There seems to be a major faux pas is their logic.

Instead of emailing them, give them a call, they are a lot more responsive on the phone. They should be able to tell you how to install the update even though you don't have a previous version installed. There is a simple registry edit that can be made to do it.

What they're saying is that MapSource alone doesn't really do anything by itself (except up/download waypoints, etc.). It's the interface for manipulating map data. So in addition to MapSource, you also need to own map data to really use it.

What they're saying is that MapSource alone doesn't really do anything by itself (except up/download waypoints, etc.). It's the interface for manipulating map data. So in addition to MapSource, you also need to own map data to really use it.

He will have map data, he ordered US Topo 2008. The problem is that the version of mapsource that comes with his copy of Trip & Waypoint manager and the version that will be on US Topo 2008 won't run on Win98. He can download the version of mapsource for legacy op systems that will run on Win98 but since it is an update it checks the registry to see if a previous version is installed, if it doesn't detect that a version of mapsource is installed then the update won't install. To get around the catch 22 you have to manually add the registry key that the mapsource update is looking for, then you can install the mapsource "update" without having to install a "shipped" version of mapsource.