Lowrance GlobalMap 100 (Worth getting as a starter unit?)

driver695

Hello All B)

This is my first ever post. I was wondering if the 'Lowrance GlobalMap 100' GPS unit was worth buying second hand as a starter unit?

I might be able to lay my hands on one at a price that wont make my other half (Georgina) go off her head B) - Well I hope so....... B)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

How much do you think you will have to pay for it? At any rate I'd shop around and make sure you can't get a newer unit for the same.

Will it come with maps? While they will be obsolete it was one of the first units to offer mapping. As an old unit it will be more difficult to cache with, but may do just fine. If you get a good deal on it, it will get you started, and make a good backup for if you get a newer one.

Here is a review: Link

Thanks for responding so promptly B)

I hope to be able to lay my hands on it for under £25 - and seeing as the cheapest unit here in the UK is around £100+ so I think I might give it a go.

Dunno about the situation about maps - but seems they are downloadable (?).

PS. This is a real NOOB question - But I am hoping to move to New Zealand soon - I take it the unit will function there OK?

Andy

It's an old unit but it will work fine. Lowrance makes great units. Don't spend too much for it though. I wouldn't spend more than around $25 USD for it.

It will work anywhere in the world. You just may not have maps for that area, but the GPS will still point the way.

A pointer's all I need at this stage.

Ideally I'd love one of those Garmin units that fit on a bike with cadence and HR functions......but hey B)

As for $25 (USD) - That's around £12.50 at the moment! - If I could get a GPS for that I'd be BEAMING B)

Hello All B)

This is my first ever post. I was wondering if the 'Lowrance GlobalMap 100' GPS unit was worth buying second hand as a starter unit?

I might be able to lay my hands on one at a price that wont make my other half (Georgina) go off her head B) - Well I hope so....... B)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andy

I had an Eagle MapGuide Pro which was made by Lowrance, and I think it is the equal gps to the GlobalMap 100. It was a great little gps as far as being accurate and holding a satellite lock. The only downside was it only had two 1 meg partitions for loading maps. I gave it to my son when I bought my iFinder Hunt and he sill has it.

Well I don't want to shell out a fortune on something I may not use. |I also have my eye on a Garmin GPS 72 this mentions that it is WAAS-enabled?

So can anyone gimme an idea of a fair price to pay for the following:

* Garmin GPS 38

* Garmin GPS 72

* Magellan GPS 300

Many thanks - a soon to be seeking GC-er :anitongue:

Well I don't want to shell out a fortune on something I may not use. |I also have my eye on a Garmin GPS 72 this mentions that it is WAAS-enabled?

So can anyone gimme an idea of a fair price to pay for the following:

* Garmin GPS 38

* Garmin GPS 72

* Magellan GPS 300

Many thanks - a soon to be seeking GC-er :anitongue:

Where are you looking , in a GPS museum? All of the above will work, but if someone is asking more than $20(USD) for the GPS 300, or GPS 38 I'd walk away. Both units have been discontinued for years.

The GPS 72 is actually still in Garmin's current line, so I'd say $40 to $70 (USD) would be fair for a used unit and $90 to $100 for a new one.

Thanks Brian :anitongue:

Well the Lowrance went for £32 / $64, & the Garmin 38 looks like it will reach £25 / $50......So gonna try for the 72 unit. Maybe I need to look on US eBay....? (Or maybe all you Amercans should try selling your old gear on eBay.co.uk! - as the seller of the 72 is asking £10 / $20 postage...and the unit is here in England!).

Thanks Brian :D

Well the Lowrance went for £32 / $64, & the Garmin 38 looks like it will reach £25 / $50......So gonna try for the 72 unit. Maybe I need to look on US eBay....? (Or maybe all you Amercans should try selling your old gear on eBay.co.uk! - as the seller of the 72 is asking £10 / $20 postage...and the unit is here in England!).

UPDATE:

The Garmin 72 went for £41.00 - with £10 postage = £51.00 - so over US$100.00!

http://www.gps4less.co.uk/shop001/product.php/19001378/0 Had a new UK one for £59.57!

Well........wish me luck with my search for a sub-£30 GPS...... :D

I have been looking at GPS units on ebay and was startled to see that many of those used units sell for more than what a person can buy "new".

I started out with a Garmin 45 and have upgraded to a Lowrance GlobalNav 200 (bought 2 years ago for about 20 dollars... lol). The Garmin 45 worked fine but was slow due to the fact that it was working on 8 sequential channels. I built a pc and power cable for it myself for a few dollars and sold it for about 3 times the price I paid for it.

The GlobalNav 200 works on 12 parallel channels and came with cables.