Coins and bugs

HeyBaylor

B) Happy caching everyone!

So, with geocoins and TB's...

I understand that they have goals and you can retrieve them from one cache and drop them in another cache, but I'm not sure I quite understand the "grabbing" or "discovering." Also, I get the feeling there's a bit more culture involved, especially w/ coins. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

B)

Grabbing is typically when you are taking handoff from another person rather than Retrieving it from a cache.

Discover is when you 'log' the traveler but don't take it with you, like after seeing someone's coin collection at an event. You still get the stat and or icon but you don't move it to another location.

If another cacher hands you a travel bug, you GRAB to get it from them and into your account.

If you see a travel bug in a cache but don't want to move it along, you can DISCOVER it so it will show in your profile and the owner knows it's still in the cache.

If you see a travel bug in a cache and want to move it along, you RETRIEVE it from the cache and then place in another cache. When logging the cache you placed it in, click on it (bottom of the log page) and it will "drop" into the cache.

Coins are the same way as far as logging.

Edited by wesleykey

Thanks!

So, with collecting Geocoins...I guess some are sent out there for people to collect, and some have goals to travel? It just seems weird to collect geocoins instead of moving them along. I guess it would depend on their goals, huh?

Geocoins are both collectibles and travelers. Some folks get them to keep, some get them to use as travelers, many do both.

Sometimes Geocoins are put in caches as FTF prizes. These are "Un-Activated" and you can do whatever you want to with them.

Geocoins that have already been Activated are meant to be moved. You do not "collect" them . . . Although, we have a coin thief here who has stolen (collected) many of them. B)

In the Geocoin Forum, you will learn a lot more about coins. It is a dangerous Forum to visit. B) Everytime I lurk in there, I end up ordering a cool-looking coin. B)

B) Happy caching everyone!

So, with geocoins and TB's...

I understand that they have goals and you can retrieve them from one cache and drop them in another cache, but I'm not sure I quite understand the "grabbing" or "discovering." Also, I get the feeling there's a bit more culture involved, especially w/ coins. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

B)

Don't worry - I have been doing this well over 5 years and still don't get the "discover" option. Seems silly to just say "I saw it!" I didn't touch it or move it but I saw it. Even weirder are those folks that send out a lamented photo copy of a coin for folks to log. I've seen that many times as well.

There are those that live and die for geocoins. There are those that just see thme as another travel bug. There are those that just don't "get" what all the fuss is about.

Thanks!

So, with collecting Geocoins...I guess some are sent out there for people to collect, and some have goals to travel? It just seems weird to collect geocoins instead of moving them along. I guess it would depend on their goals, huh?

Most of the geocoins you will find in a cache are meant to travel rather than be kept. Most collectors trade and/or buy directly from each other.

The only geocoins you would find in a cache that you should collect would be untrackable ones or trackable ones that are un-activated.

Regarding GRABBING:

Sooner or later you will find a TB or geocoin in a cache, but it isn't listed on the cache page. When you look up the number, you'll find it logged to another cache or cacher. Maybe they forgot which cache they left it in, or maybe they just didn't know what to do with it. In such a case, you will GRAB the TB or geocoin to mark it in your possession.

Oh, BYW, virtually EVERY TB and geocoin you find are the property of someone else, and are meant to be moved along. It is really rare to find one meant for you to keep.

Thanks!

:) I do not know how to log when I have passed along a geocoin into another cache. It has remained in my account inventory eventho I have moved it.

I do not know how to log when I have passed along a geocoin into another cache. It has remained in my account inventory eventho I have moved it.

When you logged the find of the cache, at the bottom of the screen you should have seen a list of all the TBs and geocoins in your inventory. You should highlight the one you dropped, and then when you submit the cache log, the item will be transferred from your inventory to the cache's.

At this point, you can go back to the cache page and "write a note", and then highlight the geocoin in the list at the bottom of the page.