76CSX Routes?

mo_town_man

Anyone use routes on the 76CSX or compairable garman unit?

I tried to use one last night and was very disappointed. I thought routes worked the same as when the GPS automatically figured out the route, cept instead of it picking the route, you picked it on the PC.

However, it kept beeping and saying stuff like you are comming upon this point and that (even though it was straight) and it didn't even tell me some of the turns to make. Behaved completely different then when i tell it to go somewhere....

Any help or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

--danny

I tried to use one last night and was very disappointed. I thought routes worked the same as when the GPS automatically figured out the route, cept instead of it picking the route, you picked it on the PC.

However, it kept beeping and saying stuff like you are comming upon this point and that (even though it was straight) and it didn't even tell me some of the turns to make. Behaved completely different then when i tell it to go somewhere....

--danny

All you need to do is push the "find" button and pick a point to navigate to -- just one point -- and then choose the "follow roads" navigation option. Then it will tell you where to turn in the guidance text. If you're using a route you picked out yourself, it will just say "approaching via point", but in the turn preview page, you get a graphic display of the turn you need to make.

--danny

All you need to do is push the "find" button and pick a point to navigate to -- just one point -- and then choose the "follow roads" navigation option. Then it will tell you where to turn in the guidance text. If you're using a route you picked out yourself, it will just say "approaching via point", but in the turn preview page, you get a graphic display of the turn you need to make.

Well, i agree this is the way it works. But sucks. LOL.. The turn preview page don't do me much good when i'm driving. I thought routes was a way to override the way it decided i should go from point A to point B.

Guess i expected way too much from routes and have to settle for whatever way it decides i should go. Or deliberately miss turns so it has to re-calculate.

--danny

Guess i expected way too much from routes and have to settle for whatever way it decides i should go. Or deliberately miss turns so it has to re-calculate.

--danny

You can fine-tune route calculation by going "Main Menu", "Setup", "Routing", and tweaking the options to your preferences.

Edited by DENelson83

--danny

You can fine-tune route calculation by going "Main Menu", "Setup", "Routing", and tweaking the options to your preferences.

Yea, I know the advoid U turn, advoid highway, etc.. Which is nice when it automatically creates a route for you.

But if routes (you create on the puter) can't be followed on the road, (without a bunch of crap saying u are at this via point, and not even telling you to turn), then what good is the route creation tool and routes in general?

--danny

Yea, I know the advoid U turn, advoid highway, etc.. Which is nice when it automatically creates a route for you.

But if routes (you create on the puter) can't be followed on the road, (without a bunch of crap saying u are at this via point, and not even telling you to turn), then what good is the route creation tool and routes in general?

Just a suggestion, but it seems to work for me: Put your vias on the stretches of road between the turns rather than at the turns. It will force the GPS to get on that particular road, and you will still get your turn-by-turns at the proper spots.

--danny

Just a suggestion, but it seems to work for me: Put your vias on the stretches of road between the turns rather than at the turns. It will force the GPS to get on that particular road, and you will still get your turn-by-turns at the proper spots.

Sounds good, will try that.. I didn't really do vias so much, i highlighted the entire route with the route selection tool. In other words, the entire road was highlighted...

Next, i will try to just put via's in for it to connect, away from the turns. Hopefully, that will be more productive...

Thanks...

--danny

--danny

Sounds good, will try that.. I didn't really do vias so much, i highlighted the entire route with the route selection tool. In other words, the entire road was highlighted...

Next, i will try to just put via's in for it to connect, away from the turns. Hopefully, that will be more productive...

Thanks...

--danny

Okay, then I am probably giving you the wrong kind of advice B) . If you are creating routes in MapSource and then uploading them, all you are really uploading is the Start and Ending points, and any specific via points you created along the way. It will create routes differently because the unit and MapSource use a slightly different set of assumptions when creating a route. A trick that I have used fairly successfully (when I am fairly certain the GPS will produce a different route than the GPS I will drop a couple of vias (while I am still in MapSource) so that when I start navigating the route, it will force the GPS to follow MY route.

--danny

From your message, it's not obvious what you're doing, but it is obvious that you're doing it wrong.

If you're trying to plot a map on your GPS, then watch it on your PC, that's not going to work. If you want to use your laptop for directions, you need to use the nRoute program, and create the route within it, not the GPS. It will ignore any route your GPS is following.

You can't create a route, and sent it to your GPS. All you're going to get it the starting and ending points, not the full route. The GPS will determine its own route for itself. You can include intermediate waypoints, if you need to force it to a certain way.

Lets say that you already have the Starting and Ending points in Mapsource:

* In Mapsource select the Arrow button that is to the left of the Ruler button at the top of the screen.

* Now Right click right on the Route Line, and select the route, the route line will turn yellow.

* Now select Insert Route Section, then drag and drop this new via point on a section of the road you want the GPS to follow.

* Now you can repeat this for areas you need the GPS to adhere to, like whenever there is a cache you want to go past, then drop a via point this way on the road nearest the cache. You can do this for each Geocache, Stop, or picture opportunity, if you needed.

EDIT: Lots of crashing of the server it seems, so had alot of trouble with this post

Edited by GOT GPS?