Found a benchmark - How do I logit?

Itasca2

While visiting Yellowstone park I looked over the rock I was sitting on and a benchmark. What numbeer do I use to find the logsheet? It has the numbers 7134.589 and 09 over 1923.

Thanks

Itasca2,

Many benchmark disks you might find are not in the Geocaching.com database. For an explanation, see the benchmark FAQ.

Did you get the latitude/longitude of your disk, or can you estimate it? Probably the easiest way to check this out is to plug the coordinates into the Geocaching.com advanced search page and see if that mark pops up. Caution: the stamping on the disk may not corresponded to the name (designation), which might be U 34 or JONES, and it will not correspond to the so-called PID, which is two letters followed by a four-digit number, like JN4813.

From the stamping you gave, it sounds like this "7134.589" is probably the elevation, and my guess is that it is a U.S. Geological Survey disk, which often have the elevation stamped on the disk. The (vast?) majority of USGS disks are NOT in the Geocaching.com database, which is based on the National Geodetic Survey database. (The two federal agencies, USGS and NGS, are in different depeartments and do different things, though both of them have set disks and keep records on those disks.)

Hope this helps! Feel free to follow up with more questions (though this sort of query is probably better in the general benchmark hunting forum, which gets a lot more traffic than this one does).

-ArtMan-

Edited by ArtMan