Jeep TB Hoarders

Phatfish16

What's the etiquette or proper respect that cachers should have in regards to trackable items that aren't owned by anyone in particular? Are there any hard and fast laws in place? Should there be? Should we be able to "tattle" to Groundspeak on a fellow cacher for hoarding items or not playing by our well-known rules? Should a player be banned from caching? Or at least the website? Or is there a polite way to simply tell someone that they're not playing fairly?

I'm about to email a cacher who has really irritated me, yet I wanted a few opinions first. Team Smoke had picked up a Red Jeep TB that I dropped off at the start of this years contest and had never dropped it off anywhere. I have since noticed that this cacher hoards NOT 1, BUT 2 of every year’s Jeep TBs without dropping them off. This cacher is like quicksand for jeeps...they go in but never come out. How should I approach this email without seeming too threatening? (Although I'd like to, as this kind of practice may discontinue Jeep from participating next year or years thereafter.) Is it even my place to say anything, as some view this game as their own and a cacher would referee him/herself, unlike team sports or true contests.

Thanks for any advice as this really razzes me!!!

Check out this GCZ7ZA, a micro archived in April, 07. There are four red jeeps there.

The above quote comes from another entry in this forum that has been closed. This entry points out a cache that contains 4 RJTB in an archived micro.

I don't know what can be done to influence folks like this, that their behavior is outside of the intent, or at least the intent of most cachers who participate in the Jeep TB movement.

Any of the red jeeps in southern Minnesota are quickly retrieved by a prolific cacher that lives about 20 miles from us. They have snagged and bagged 73 red jeeps to date. If they want to bust a gut to get to them as soon as they are placed that is their choice / privilege / right... Just wish they didn't hold on to so many...they currently have 23 in their possession. :(

What I am curious about is that they are giving the red jeeps a new paint job, monster tires, etc. after they get them. They have many pictures posted in their gallery of their artwork. For example, check out the mods on this jeep that were completed in mid-July. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...f9-c63fa3822af7

Is this common elsewhere in the US?

What's the etiquette or proper respect that cachers should have in regards to trackable items that aren't owned by anyone in particular? Don't sweat the small stuff Are there any hard and fast laws in place? No Should there be? We try to avoid too many rules and regulations, it takes the fun out of the game Should we be able to "tattle" to Groundspeak on a fellow cacher for hoarding items or not playing by our well-known rules? Not unless it's your bug, and then Groundspeak, and it's volunteers and employees are not cache police. Should a player be banned from caching? No one gets banned unless they have seriously broken a guideline, or done something wrong so many times, they refuse to play along with the guidelines that are in place Or at least the website? repeat my last sentence Or is there a polite way to simply tell someone that they're not playing fairly? there is ALWAYS a polite way.

I'm about to email a cacher who has really irritated me, yet I wanted a few opinions first. <Individual name removed by moderator> had picked up a Red Jeep TB that I dropped off at the start of this years contest and had never dropped it off anywhere. they are far from being the only one, we can't ban them all I have since noticed that this cacher hoards NOT 1, BUT 2 of every year’s Jeep TBs without dropping them off. This cacher is like quicksand for jeeps...they go in but never come out. How should I approach this email without seeming too threatening? by walking away, it is not your bug, and you are not the cache police either (Although I'd like to, as this kind of practice may discontinue Jeep from participating next year or years thereafter.) Not really, any advertising is good advertising if it gets their name out there Is it even my place to say anything, No, I'm sorry, as much as it pains us to see someone not play fairly, we cannot control the situation as some view this game as their own and a cacher would referee him/herself, unlike team sports or true contests. EXACTLY!

Thanks for any advice as this really razzes me!!! Tell me about it!

My replies to you are all in blue.

Maybe the names of the offending jeep theives :) :) :D could be posted here on the forums and we could all mass mail them to shame them into putting the jeeps back into circulation as they were intended to be. At the very least, maybe they would get tired of being harassed about it and quit altogether. After all, their activities of hoarding are ruining the game for the rest of us who play by the rules. :D

TB hoarding is not just reserved for the Jeep TB's. There are cachers in other states that go around, grab TB's, then don't release them again, or "lose" them.

It's not any different.

I get one Jeep each year, I drop and grab it a few (or more) times, then either let it go or trade someone for theirs. And, I'll discover a few here and there of other cachers at events, etc.

After getting flamed on this board for holding onto one or two, I decided to let them go and let others get flamed for it. (harassment?)

Besides, they weigh down my TB bag. So, when I've dropped them, I usually tell them good luck and walk away.

Maybe the names of the offending jeep theives :anitongue:<_<<_< could be posted here on the forums and we could all mass mail them to shame them into putting the jeeps back into circulation as they were intended to be. At the very least, maybe they would get tired of being harassed about it and quit altogether. After all, their activities of hoarding are ruining the game for the rest of us who play by the rules. <_<

Perfect! If you want your account banned. Don't do it.

I admit I have a RJTB that I have held for a little while, but am holding on to it to drop it at an upcoming event cache. This is the third one I have found, the others I sent on their way. I think that hoarding any of the travel bugs or coins comes down to either not understanding the way these things work or not caring. Who can the hoarders show their "stash" off to? Most any cacher they showed the TBs would be disgusted at them.

Who can the hoarders show their "stash" off to? Most any cacher they showed the TBs would be disgusted at them.

Why would "any cacher" be "disgusted at" the TBs?

That's not what he meant, he meant someone would be disgusted with a TB hoarder. I think disgusted is a harsh word, and perhaps "disappointed" or "displeased" would have been more polite. Travel Bugs are meant to travel, or they wouldn't be named so. And some people don't like to see other cachers hold on to TB's. Unfortunately, people often accuse the innocent of hoarding Bugs, when they do not know the whole story. There is always more to the story than meets the eye.

Edited by Eartha
Who can the hoarders show their "stash" off to? Most any cacher they showed the TBs would be disgusted at them.

Why would "any cacher" be "disgusted at" the TBs?

That's not what he meant, he meant someone would be disgusted with a TB hoarder. I think disgusted is a harsh word, and perhaps "disappointed" or "displeased" would have been more polite. Travel Bugs are meant to travel, or they wouldn't be named so. And some people don't like to see other cachers hold on to TB's. Unfortunately, people often accuse the innocent of hoarding Bugs, when they do not know the whole story. There is always more to the story than meets the eye.

Thanks for the translation. :D

I am more shocked (disgusted?) by people who decide they can repaint or supe-up Jeep TBs.

---

The children broke some eggs so we whipped them. :o

Edited by UncleJimbo

There will always be a small group of cachers who get their enjoyment by having icons on their cache page. These folks will claim discoveries on TBs that they have never seen for reasons only known to theirselves. Will they be disgusted when a hoarder shares their stash, No. They will see it as an opportunity to increase their icon counts. These sub-groups of cachers are not alone in displaying behavior deemed inappropriate by most of society. Daily in the news, we hear of groups who are arrested for various types of behavior which has been deemed as 'against the law'. The difference with TB hoarders is that there is no law. Although I would like to see a law that forces the movement of TBs, I don't really want that law because once we start pushing laws, then we loose many of our other freedoms. It's a gradual slide, but once started, it's downhill all the ways.

Here's a question for Eartha. As the moderator who is watching this part of the forums, perhaps you can answer when does contacting a cacher through GC mail become harrassment? One message, two? Or do you have to have a copy of the original email, verified that it hasn't been tampered with, and the content of the message in your or some other monitor's opinion, could be considered as harrassment by a majority of folks?

I was alway lead to believe that when the contest for that year of Jeep was up, you could do what you please with them. The Jeep corp. don't care, they got their advertisement out of them.

I would have to disagree with this. Although the contest may be over, cachers can still find the JTBs and gain a unique icon on their cache page.

I have posted very few times and I really don't won't my account banned, but my question is to Eartha. I have already said that a cacher has 4 red jeeps in an archived cache, micro. Did anybody e-mail her to find out why she is keeping them "safe"?

No, we are not Travel Bug Police. The Jeeps were marked missing. If I were to monitor all travel bugs and try to email everyone holding onto a TB, I would spend the rest of my life looking at TB pages. I might get fired from my real job.

Marking them missing should send a message that they are being watched.

Maybe the names of the offending jeep theives :rolleyes:<_<:lol: could be posted here on the forums and we could all mass mail them to shame them into putting the jeeps back into circulation as they were intended to be. At the very least, maybe they would get tired of being harassed about it and quit altogether. After all, their activities of hoarding are ruining the game for the rest of us who play by the rules. :lol:

I 100% agree and am willing to help with the mail thing.MONTERRY

Maybe the names of the offending jeep theives :rolleyes:<_<:lol: could be posted here on the forums and we could all mass mail them to shame them into putting the jeeps back into circulation as they were intended to be. At the very least, maybe they would get tired of being harassed about it and quit altogether. After all, their activities of hoarding are ruining the game for the rest of us who play by the rules. :lol:

I 100% agree and am willing to help with the mail thing.MONTERRY

Take my advice, Do Not harass a cacher via email.

It is not just a suggestion. It will get you banned from this site.

OK?

Edited by BlueDeuce

Anyone who is even thinking about harrassing any other cacher, especially via the geocaching.com mail system should please read the Terms Of Use for this website.

Particularly Section 4 which states, and I quote:

4. Use of Publishing Tools and Forums

The Groundspeak Forums, accessible through the “Discuss Geocaching” link in the Site’s navigation bar as well as through other links, are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, post in the Groundspeak Forums area.

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(a) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity.

(b ) Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity.

(c ) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationship.

(d) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or proprietary rights of any person, including without limitation under any privacy or publicity rights.

(e) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation.

(f) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that contains viruses or any other computer code, files or programs which interrupt, destroy, limit the functionality of, or cause damage to the Site or any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.

(g) Disrupt the normal flow of dialogue or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users' ability to engage in real time exchanges.

(h) Interfere with or disrupt the Site or servers or networks connected to the Site, or fail to comply with any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Site.

(i) Violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.

(j) "Stalk," harass, or otherwise harm another Site user.

(k) Collect or store personal data about other Site users.

(l) Promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities, promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual.

Failure to comply could result in your account and any subsequent accounts you may sign up being banned from the site for good. I do not mean you will be banned from the forums, I mean you will be banned from the www.geocaching.com website.

Don't do it.

Anyone who is even thinking about harrassing any other cacher, especially via the geocaching.com mail system should please read the Terms Of Use for this website.

The Groundspeak Forums, accessible through the “Discuss Geocaching” link in the Site’s navigation bar as well as through other links, are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, post in the Groundspeak Forums area.

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(a) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity.

(b ) Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity.

(c ) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationship.

(d) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or proprietary rights of any person, including without limitation under any privacy or publicity rights.

(e) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation.

(f) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that contains viruses or any other computer code, files or programs which interrupt, destroy, limit the functionality of, or cause damage to the Site or any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.

(g) Disrupt the normal flow of dialogue or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users' ability to engage in real time exchanges.

(h) Interfere with or disrupt the Site or servers or networks connected to the Site, or fail to comply with any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Site.

(l) Promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities, promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual.

Failure to comply could result in your account and any subsequent accounts you may sign up being banned from the site for good. I do not mean you will be banned from the forums, I mean you will be banned from the www.geocaching.com website.

Don't do it.

What's the etiquette or proper respect that cachers should have in regards to trackable items that aren't owned by anyone in particular? Are there any hard and fast laws in place? Should there be? Should we be able to "tattle" to Groundspeak on a fellow cacher for hoarding items or not playing by our well-known rules? Should a player be banned from caching? Or at least the website? Or is there a polite way to simply tell someone that they're not playing fairly?

I'm about to email a cacher who has really irritated me, yet I wanted a few opinions first. Team Smoke had picked up a Red Jeep TB that I dropped off at the start of this years contest and had never dropped it off anywhere. I have since noticed that this cacher hoards NOT 1, BUT 2 of every year’s Jeep TBs without dropping them off. This cacher is like quicksand for jeeps...they go in but never come out. How should I approach this email without seeming too threatening? (Although I'd like to, as this kind of practice may discontinue Jeep from participating next year or years thereafter.) Is it even my place to say anything, as some view this game as their own and a cacher would referee him/herself, unlike team sports or true contests.

I hear you.... thanks

Don't do it.

I hear you - thanks

Don't do it.

I hear you.... thanks

Sorry for the repetitive style of mine -just getting used to loving the forum. Great ideas an knowledge aquisition. Thanks to all.

Well everyone, I took your advice to heart and decided to keep my anger vent up and my opinion to myself other than posting to this thread...rather than "harrassing" TB horders. I decided to just let it go. It was comforting to know that I'm not the only one aggravated by the type of mentality/actions shown by TB horders, but alas, I've decided to move on. I even bought my very first geocoin, which will be out there in the geocommunity as soon as I setup a new cache to start it out in. I just hope that it doesn't fall into the hands of a horder! :laughing:

I actually like the Jeeps after they've been modified. There are so many of them I don't see the real harm in it. I think it adds a little extra "flavor" to the game.

Yeah, you'd think so.

It's basically taking something with a specific intent and changing it to suit you own game.

I actually like the Jeeps after they've been modified. There are so many of them I don't see the real harm in it. I think it adds a little extra "flavor" to the game.

Yeah, you'd think so.

It's basically taking something with a specific intent and changing it to suit you own game.

I'd argue the intent of their game is marketing so I think they are still accomplishing that. If they are still involved in their game, I suppose it would be polite to wait until the game is over and they become "regular" travelbugs. I've sent out several travel bugs, including a couple of vehicles. It'd be fun if they were modified along the way but were stilll recognizeable to a certain degree. Hey, I just thought of another travelbug goal idea!

Lemme guess, a morphing TB

Yes and no. I was already thinking of doing a morphing one where it changes completely. Now I think I'll try to get people to simply modify it slightly somehow before moving it on. I need to figure out what object would be easily modifiable.

You could always do something with Leggos or K'Nex. I imagine the pieces might/probably would get lost along the way though

Here's an interesting example of Jeep hoarders and repaints.... !!! ??? :)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Hey,

So, I may get myself into trouble here on the forums...but I think this one deserves a little statement.

I know these cachers and have cached with them on many ocassions...yes, they have a lot of jeeps and other tb's in their account and are repainting jeeps...so let's look at this one at a time.

Repainting Jeeps: They did travel to the Midwest Geobash and had a conversation with Jeremy from Groundspeak...as far as I know, they received permission from Jermey to repaint jeeps. They mentioned that he thought what they were doing was very creative.

Number of Jeeps in their account: Many of the Jeeps they received they have received by hand from other cachers requesting them to modify the jeep...once done, the jeep is sent back to the before mentioned cacher to do as he/she pleases...hopefully try to send back into the wild.

Sure, this may all be second hand knowledge...but I have come to believe that I can trust these cachers. I may or may not like what they are doing (still not sure how I feel about it...), but if they have received the "ok" then I guess to each their own. I still enjoying their friendship and enjoy caching with them as much as possible. It (altered jeep) is still a trackable and I will move it on...as far as I understand it, the jeep contest is by vote anyway...so it is all a matter of public opinion when it comes to who wins and doesn't win.

Now, sure, not all the jeeps in the account were handed or mailed to them by other cachers, but with the ok from Jeremy to modify the jeeps, they are trying their best to get them back out as soon as possible. As far as number of TB's and jeeps in the account...maybe someone that moves as many travel bugs as they do deserves some patience. Before we go about labeling some people, maybe we need to know a little more of the story.

So, as far as letting a jeep or two sit in my account...because I know someone will check my account after reading my post...I have one from 04-yellow, 05-white, 06-green and two from 07-red. There happens to be a couple jeep hoarders in my home area (at least two freely admit to being hoarders)...thus I try to swap jeeps for jeeps at caches and events as much as possible without to many dropped in my home area. With so few 04-yellows around anymore, I share that one with anyone at events and swap it for another yellow when one shows up. Same with the 05-white. The green are becoming as hard to find as the yellow and white in my area as well. One of the red jeeps I have will be given away to anther cacher at an event I am hosting this Thrusday...they other I hope to trade this weekend while caching another event (maybe the yellow, white and green as well if I am lucky). So, I may have a couple in my account at all times...but I make no attempt to hide that...I don't steal jeeps/tb's/coins and report them as "missing"...I move them on as soon as possible.

So, that is my 2 cents on this situation...it may not have anything to do directly with the thread, but I felt I needed to respond on this matter.

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Edited by ArcherDragoon

I have posted very few times and I really don't won't my account banned, but my question is to Eartha. I have already said that a cacher has 4 red jeeps in an archived cache, micro. Did anybody e-mail her to find out why she is keeping them "safe"?

This is all I said to her.

Hi,

I noticed that "Little Tomoka River (FL)" Red Jeep Travel Bug has a message reporting it missing by Eartha. I also notice that it is in an archived cache that you own along with several other jeeps and coins. Is all that stuff missing? I just had someone steal one of my geocoins right out of one of my active caches. I archived that cache too and I am a little bit bitter over it. I can't believe someone would steal a 4 dollar coin out of a cache. Oh well, just curious.

Here's an interesting example of Jeep hoarders and repaints.... !!! ??? <_<

Repainting Jeeps: They did travel to the Midwest Geobash and had a conversation with Jeremy from Groundspeak...as far as I know, they received permission from Jermey to repaint jeeps. They mentioned that he thought what they were doing was very creative.

**Snipped for brevity**

Later,

ArcherDragoon

I find that very interesting, since Jeremy didn't make it to Midwest Geobash this year :)

Here's an interesting example of Jeep hoarders and repaints.... !!! ??? :o

**Snipped for brevity**

Later,

ArcherDragoon

I find that very interesting, since Jeremy didn't make it to Midwest Geobash this year :huh:

Hey,

Ok, so I got the name wrong :o at any rate it was someone from Groudspeak (at the very least...hopefully at least I have that correct)...I just assumed it was Jeremy...

As I have said...never assume anything, it only leads to assumptions. My bad!!! I guess I really need to pay attention more often when people are speaking :lol: to me. So, that is all I have to add to that...again, my bad.

At any rate...I guess I never really had a point here except to acknowledge my mistake...thanks Moop for the correction. I guess I will just have to ask again...

If one can't laugh at one's own mistakes...what can one laugh at??? :huh:

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Hey all (again),

So, maybe this will make things better...after talking with the cachers in question...it was not Jeremy (they laughed at me since they know my short term memory sucks)...Brian and Shawna (sorry if I didn't spell anything correct) as well as another name or two (again, sorry short memory sucks).

So, again, thanks Moop for the correction...gotta double check my facts before opening my mouth :huh:

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Hey all (again),

So, maybe this will make things better...after talking with the cachers in question...it was not Jeremy (they laughed at me since they know my short term memory sucks)...Brian and Shawna (sorry if I didn't spell anything correct) as well as another name or two (again, sorry short memory sucks).

So, again, thanks Moop for the correction...gotta double check my facts before opening my mouth :huh:

Later,

ArcherDragoon

That's no worry :lol: I just didn't want you to cause a big stink for your pals, since it indeed was Bryan and Shauna that were there (with Hydee and Raine).

Hey,

Ok, so now that I feel better about sticking my head out for some freinds and (with the help of Moop) correcting my obvious mistake...back to the topic at hand.

As was mentioned before, you certainly don't want to go and do anything that may get yorself kicked off GC.com. As has been stated by many of the posts here, there really is nothing any of us can do to "rescue" jeeps (but travel bugs in general) from those that have already picked them up and added them to their stash. Maybe one could try preventing more jeeps from falling in "wrong hands" by moving them out of the area as soon as one can...but, then again that would be like "punishing" those in the area that don't hoard tb's from ever getting those to move along. Ok, so, that could be tough situation.

Certainly one could always try to talk with the cachers in question...that is if they show up at an event or something like that. I have done that with a couple in the area...just bring up a conversation about travel bugs and such. Just have to remember to keep a calm head and realize you may not be able to change their mind right away.

So, that is my 2 cents for what it is worth...

Later,

ArcherDragoon