Garmin Hcx Map Source

countypals

I just bought a Garmin Legend Hcx mostly for geocaching, which comes with MapSource downloadable maps. I'm confuse as to how to download the maps. If I see a map on the screen, how do I select it to download to my device? I can download waypomts which include a basemap but can anyone tell me how to download a map that I can follow turn by turn???

Edited by countypals

I just bought a Garmin Legend Hcx mostly for geocaching, which comes with MapSource downloadable maps. I'm confuse as to how to download the maps. If I see a map on the screen, how do I select it to download to my device? I can download waypomts which include a basemap but can anyone tell me how to download a map that I can follow turn by turn???

You need to use the "Map Tool" in MapSource, which allows you to select map segments from the main window. The Map Tool can be selected by selecting Map from the Tools menu (Tools-->Map), or you can make sure the Tools toolbar is showing (View-->Show Toolbars-->Tools), and then select the Map Tool from the Tools toolbar.

Now you can choose the map segments that you wish to load into the GPS. The map segments you select will be highlighted in the main window, and the map segment's name and size will be under the Maps tab window on the left side of the screen.

Actually Mapsource is just the base program that everything else runs from. You cannot download Mapsource maps to your GPS and will need either City Navigator or Metroguide (with the work around program) if you want to download maps or auto route. There is mountains of reading on these programs here, just scan through the last few days of posts and I'm sure you will find the answers you need.

You need to use the "Map Tool" in MapSource, which allows you to select map segments from the main window. The Map Tool can be selected by selecting Map from the Tools menu (Tools-->Map), or you can make sure the Tools toolbar is showing (View-->Show Toolbars-->Tools), and then select the Map Tool from the Tools toolbar.

Now you can choose the map segments that you wish to load into the GPS. The map segments you select will be highlighted in the main window, and the map segment's name and size will be under the Maps tab window on the left side of the screen.

Thanks for replying. As I found out from another helpful soul, I need to buy "City Navigator" then I can download maps. I was trying to download maps from the base maps that came with the unit. That doesn't work. Thanks again!