San Diego / Mexico Request

sirrooker

:):)

HI I've got a request for someone out there. I am from New hampshire and heading to San Diego in November for the Thanksgiving Holiday.I would love to do a few Cache's but would Love to be able to jump the border and be able to do 1 or 2 in Mexico as well while I am that close. I noticed that there are non in Mexico in that area. :):D

I would really really appriciate it. thank you soo much.

:D:)

HI I've got a request for someone out there. I am from New hampshire and heading to San Diego in November for the Thanksgiving Holiday.I would love to do a few Cache's but would Love to be able to jump the border and be able to do 1 or 2 in Mexico as well while I am that close. I noticed that there are non in Mexico in that area. :D:D

You are welcome to check out the "San Diego Cache Events" in the West and Southwest forums. We are always lookin for an excuse to go caching. There are some caches about 35 miles into Mexico (GC142WD) that I am trying to plan a trip to grab. Maybe that would work for a Mexico expedition but it would be an all day trip. Anyway, post something in the San Diego Cache Event page and I am positive we'll get a group together to go somewhere just watch out for anything that is related to MTRP... :):)

:):)

HI I've got a request for someone out there. I am from New hampshire and heading to San Diego in November for the Thanksgiving Holiday.I would love to do a few Cache's but would Love to be able to jump the border and be able to do 1 or 2 in Mexico as well while I am that close. I noticed that there are non in Mexico in that area. :):D

Hide a Cache in TJ?!?!? Man that is scary. There are a few close to the boarder but you will have to go out a ways an enter from another crossing. Besides you don't want to go to TJ, bad mojo.

We will only be out there for a couple of days so i was don't think we could do a full day trip, but it would be kinda cool. what is MTRP?

:)

HI I've got a request for someone out there. I am from New hampshire and heading to San Diego in November for the Thanksgiving Holiday.I would love to do a few Cache's but would Love to be able to jump the border and be able to do 1 or 2 in Mexico as well while I am that close. I noticed that there are non in Mexico in that area. :D:D

You are welcome to check out the "San Diego Cache Events" in the West and Southwest forums. We are always lookin for an excuse to go caching. There are some caches about 35 miles into Mexico (GC142WD) that I am trying to plan a trip to grab. Maybe that would work for a Mexico expedition but it would be an all day trip. Anyway, post something in the San Diego Cache Event page and I am positive we'll get a group together to go somewhere just watch out for anything that is related to MTRP... :):D

wow is TJ really that Bad? :D

I heard it was a little scary but figured maybe there could be a semi good spot :)

are there any other areas close by that I could say I did :D one in Mexico not so scary?

Thanks for the help.

HI I've got a request for someone out there. I am from New hampshire and heading to San Diego in November for the Thanksgiving Holiday.I would love to do a few Cache's but would Love to be able to jump the border and be able to do 1 or 2 in Mexico as well while I am that close. I noticed that there are non in Mexico in that area. :D:)

You are welcome to check out the "San Diego Cache Events" in the West and Southwest forums. We are always lookin for an excuse to go caching. There are some caches about 35 miles into Mexico (GC142WD) that I am trying to plan a trip to grab. Maybe that would work for a Mexico expedition but it would be an all day trip. Anyway, post something in the San Diego Cache Event page and I am positive we'll get a group together to go somewhere just watch out for anything that is related to MTRP... :D:D

MTRP = Mission Trails Regional Park. It is probebly the best spot in San Diego to do some memerable caches as well as getting a lot of finds. There are about 200 caches in the park. I am still working on clearing the entire thing. Its a wonderful place.

TJ is pretty bad, I have been over there about 6 times in my life and it only gets worse each time. The worst part is police are corrupt, my little brother got all his cash and jewlery taken from one of the police officers over there for "public intoxication"

MTRP = Mission Trails Regional Park. It is probebly the best spot in San Diego to do some memerable caches as well as getting a lot of finds. There are about 200 caches in the park. I am still working on clearing the entire thing. Its a wonderful place.

TJ is pretty bad, I have been over there about 6 times in my life and it only gets worse each time. The worst part is police are corrupt, my little brother got all his cash and jewlery taken from one of the police officers over there for "public intoxication"

Now don't get me wrong...I am not a fan of TJ...(it is like most border towns...not a good representation of a contry)...I think if you want to go to Mexico...It starts at about Ensanada.

However comma...I have gone to TJ 100's of times...have always driven and have never had a problem...I also do not drink when I am in TJ and act/drive like I do in the states.

I find that most of the people that have problems were

A. Doing some thing they could/would not do in the states.

or

B. Were acting like arrogant, obnoxious Americans and pissed some one off.

or

C. Were just being stupid.

Edited by GoBolts!

I have a multi named La Mona with the published coords (and first waypoint) in Tijuana and the final in the USA side. Both the first and final are close to the Otay Mesa POE. I just scouted an area near the San Ysidro POE and plan on setting up three similar multis in the next two-three weeks. These will all be virtual multis which make it easier for me to maintain as the ruturn time to the states is horrendous, usually an hour by vehicle. Since the published coords are in Mexico, GC gives you credit for an international find.

As GoBolts!, I, too, have driven into Tijuana - since 1982 when I first got my driver's license. I've gotten pulled up a few times for driving infractions and participated in the "mordida", but have never had any other problems. You can purchase a 1-day auto insurance if you want, but most US insurance polices will cover you if you just go in a short distance for a day or two - read your policy.

I have four physical caches in Mexico, all between Rosarito and Ensenada. That's about a 40-minute drive from the border to the first cache. They are all along the biennial Rosarito-Ensenada Bike Ride, which is when I'm able to maintain them as I always ride in this event.

wow I can't wait I hope I can do this one. do you know does it generally take a long time to get over the border? :anitongue: I check this one out and it doesn't look like many people have found it?

I have a multi named La Mona with the published coords (and first waypoint) in Tijuana and the final in the USA side. Both the first and final are close to the Otay Mesa POE. I just scouted an area near the San Ysidro POE and plan on setting up three similar multis in the next two-three weeks. These will all be virtual multis which make it easier for me to maintain as the ruturn time to the states is horrendous, usually an hour by vehicle. Since the published coords are in Mexico, GC gives you credit for an international find.

As GoBolts!, I, too, have driven into Tijuana - since 1982 when I first got my driver's license. I've gotten pulled up a few times for driving infractions and participated in the "mordida", but have never had any other problems. You can purchase a 1-day auto insurance if you want, but most US insurance polices will cover you if you just go in a short distance for a day or two - read your policy.

I have four physical caches in Mexico, all between Rosarito and Ensenada. That's about a 40-minute drive from the border to the first cache. They are all along the biennial Rosarito-Ensenada Bike Ride, which is when I'm able to maintain them as I always ride in this event.

wow I can't wait I hope I can do this one. do you know does it generally take a long time to get over the border? :P I check this one out and it doesn't look like many people have found it?

The wait by vehicle is ridiculously long and getting longer. There are many variables, it's heaviest in the weekday mornings and afternoon, and Friday/Saturday late afternoons. Pedestrian crossings are generally 50-70% quicker. This website gives estimated vehicle waiting periods for all the ports of entry along the Mexico and Canadian border. You want to look up Otay Mesa and San Ysidro. For pedestrian waiting times, call 619-690-8800 and press 8 for San Ysidro. I think it may also give waiting times for Otay. Whatever you do, don't use the SENTRI lanes; they require special passes and you could be fine and sent to the end of the line after waiting half the time of the other lanes.

Now don't get me wrong...I am not a fan of TJ...(it is like most border towns...not a good representation of a contry)...I think if you want to go to Mexico...It starts at about Ensanada.

However comma...I have gone to TJ 100's of times...have always driven and have never had a problem...I also do not drink when I am in TJ and act/drive like I do in the states.

I find that most of the people that have problems were

A. Doing some thing they could/would not do in the states.

or

B. Were acting like arrogant, obnoxious Americans and pissed some one off.

or

C. Were just being stupid.

I'll have to agree with Gobolts

A B C

are what get most people in trouble south of the border

Didn't you read about the 2 cars of surfers heading South for waves on Labor Day Weekend? Got pulled over by a gang using the "police" blue lights at 4 AM where they stole everything. Sure would ruin a trip and they had been traveling South for years. I would suggest doing Chuy's multi and getting back as soon as possible. After all TJ is a Narco state. PS You could also grab "None More Southwesterly" for the most Southwesterly cache in the US, tho it will now cost park addmission.

Edited by fisnjack
Didn't you read about the 2 cars of surfers heading South for waves on Labor Day Weekend? Got pulled over by a gang using the "police" blue lights at 4 AM where they stole everything. Sure would ruin a trip and they had been traveling South for years. I would suggest doing Chuy's multi and getting back as soon as possible. After all TJ is a Narco state. PS You could also grab "None More Southwesterly" for the most Southwesterly cache in the US, tho it will now cost park addmission.
This is why I would never take anything of value down there. If for some reason, something did happen then I wouldn't lose too much.

We have a couple of plants down there. There have been some kidnappings of executives. One of the people I work with had a boulder thrown through the windsheild of their car while driving to one of the plants. I've never had any issues except Montezuma's revenge once. There are some nicer areas in downtown, but you can have the rest of it. It's really dirty. :)

There was also that one guy that got into a car accident down there a few years back. He was in critical condition and they wouldn't let him out of the country for special medical care until a ~$12,000 fine was paid. By the time, they got the money, it was too late and the guy died.

A funny story just happened to some buddies of my youngest son. They were going down to see a concert at Coors and somehow drove by it (I have no idea how they missed it). Anyhow, they realized that they missed it when they hit the Otay border crossing. So they figured they would just go through the border and turn around. :huh::( Big mistake! It took them four hours to get back because three of them didn't have any IDs/passports with them. So they missed the concert! :(

Edited by TrailGators

So they figured they would just go through the border and turn around. :(:huh: Big mistake! It took them four hours to get back because three of them didn't have any IDs/passports with them. So they missed the concert! :(

I have done that before when I was about 19.... Ended up driving around TJ in my parents car for about 2 hours... Nothing happened but still..........

We have a couple of plants down there. There have been some kidnappings of executives. One of the people I work with had a boulder thrown through the windsheild of their car while driving to one of the plants. I've never had any issues except Montezuma's revenge once. There are some nicer areas in downtown, but you can have the rest of it. It's really dirty. :huh:

There was also that one guy that got into a car accident down there a few years back. He was in critical condition and they wouldn't let him out of the country for special medical care until a ~$12,000 fine was paid. By the time, they got the money, it was too late and the guy died.

A funny story just happened to some buddies of my youngest son. They were going down to see a concert at Coors and somehow drove by it (I have no idea how they missed it). Anyhow, they realized that they missed it when they hit the Otay border crossing. So they figured they would just go through the border and turn around. :(:( Big mistake! It took them four hours to get back because three of them didn't have any IDs/passports with them. So they missed the concert! :)

And I'm riding 50 miles to Ensenada on Saturday?!

No doubt crime happens in Mexico - it happens in all major cities, and Tijuana is no exception. But you have to put things in perspective. There are certain crimes in Mexico that out pace the U.S. and vice versa. The murder and kidnapping rate is higher in Mexico. But murder by firearm is higher in the U.S. as are aggravated assualts, rape, and auto theft. The media is to blame for sensationalizing the worse cases, and U.S. citizens deserve some blame for taking careless risks and not becoming informed of the different laws/regulations.

I think the guy you're referring to in the 1999 Mexico car accident is Don Kraft. He was at fault in that accident and as a result of being charged with a felony crime, he had to pay a bond to be released. He was eventually released on $2700 bond, but passed away a few days after arriving in the U.S. He was making making a recovery when he passed away. He did not have Mexican auto insurance some of which includes bond coverage. U.S. doctors reported his death was not a result of time delays to obtain medical aid in the U.S.

As for your son's buddies, what were they doing when they approached the border? There's gates, immigrantes and those funky green and red lights that read "pase" or "no pase". That's too bad they missed the concert.

We have a couple of plants down there. There have been some kidnappings of executives. One of the people I work with had a boulder thrown through the windshield of their car while driving to one of the plants. I've never had any issues except Montezuma's revenge once. There are some nicer areas in downtown, but you can have the rest of it. It's really dirty. :D

A funny story just happened to some buddies of my youngest son. They were going down to see a concert at Coors and somehow drove by it (I have no idea how they missed it). Anyhow, they realized that they missed it when they hit the Otay border crossing. So they figured they would just go through the border and turn around. :D:huh: Big mistake! It took them four hours to get back because three of them didn't have any IDs/passports with them. So they missed the concert! ;)

And I'm riding 50 miles to Ensenada on Saturday?!

No doubt crime happens in Mexico - it happens in all major cities, and Tijuana is no exception. But you have to put things in perspective. There are certain crimes in Mexico that out pace the U.S. and vice versa. The murder and kidnapping rate is higher in Mexico. But murder by firearm is higher in the U.S. as are aggravated assualts, rape, and auto theft. The media is to blame for sensationalizing the worse cases, and U.S. citizens deserve some blame for taking careless risks and not becoming informed of the different laws/regulations.

I think the guy you're referring to in the 1999 Mexico car accident is Don Kraft. He was at fault in that accident and as a result of being charged with a felony crime, he had to pay a bond to be released. He was eventually released on $2700 bond, but passed away a few days after arriving in the U.S. He was making making a recovery when he passed away. He did not have Mexican auto insurance some of which includes bond coverage. U.S. doctors reported his death was not a result of time delays to obtain medical aid in the U.S.

As for your son's buddies, what were they doing when they approached the border? There's gates, immigrantes and those funky green and red lights that read "pase" or "no pase". That's too bad they missed the concert.

I agree with most of what you said. I think that is the guy. He was held in Mexico for 18 hours when he needed trauma care. I knew he was at fault, but it's ridiculous to not let him or anyone get treatment because they have a car wreck. Hopefully we worked something out with Mexico so that never happens again.

Anyhow, we all know where to stay away from to avoid most of the crime in the US. I think that knowledge or crime sense gets less clear when you are in TJ. Those gals that I worked with that had the boulder thrown through the windshield thought they were in an OK part of town. I can say that the kidnappings are very real. We now have bodyguards that transport all employees to and from our plants in TJ, Mexicali and Nuevo Laredo. I haven't heard about any more corporate kidnappings since every company started doing that.

I think the boys were probably screwing around and thought it would be fun to say they were in Mexico. There is no way to drive across the border into Mexico without knowing it. It is impossible to cross the border back into the US without knowing it. Did the passport requirement kick back in yet? I know it was delayed because the passport office couldn't keep up with the demand.

The last thing I want to say is that I'm not trying to knock Mexico as much as I am trying to educate the OP a little bit. Mexico is a beautiful country. I was watching Man Vs. Wild and saw Copper Canyon for the first time. I would love to go there someday:

Image1.jpgMCC_sig.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
My three new ones in Tijuana got published but they show as being in California unlike my La Mona cache. The Mexico reviewer said he changed it 'cause the hide is in CA.

A Dirty River Runs through it

Reloq Monumental

La Frontera

:D I'm game. I'll post a note in the events for some weekend morning walk to nab the 3 sets of coords. We can even park north and take the trolley for a short walk.