comparing garmins...

MREAGLEWO1

Go with the CSx. It cost a little bit more and the extra benefit will come in handy when you are standing still (i.e. near caches). If you can't get the hang of how to use the electronic compass, then you can always just turn it off. But it is very nice to have it available. Note that the 60CSx has a rebate from Garmin active just now.

I think you should give some consideration to the Vista HCx if you are thinking 60CSx.

Main advantages of VistaHCx

•More compact

•Much brighter screen

•Much better battery life

•Slightly better chip than the SirfStarIII (but not by much)

•Lighter and less mass makes it less prone to mass induce problems like vibrations when mounted on a bike.

Cheaper. $220

Main advantages of 60CSx

Buttons on the front but this is more a preference than an advanage as such.

Can take an external antenna, but who really uses that.

Serial port, but again if you don't need it then it's not an advantage.

Edited by gallet

I owned the 60CS and about wore it out on over a thousand geocache finds. I upgraded to the 60Cx without the "S". The "S" indicates the unit has the electronic compass. I had nothing but frustration for the electronic compass and its need for clear view of the sky calibration each time the batteries were changed. Your mileage may vary, but it's MUCH easier to have a $5 compass in your pocket.

I think you should give some consideration to the Vista HCx if you are thinking 60CSx.

I agree, but I have several concerns with the eTrex line after owning a blue Legend. The rubber edge band glue issue, the display failure (loose ribbon connector) and the joystick failure (also a connector issue, I believe). By following threads here it appears that the glue issue still existed with the C and CX eTrex units. I can't remember if the display issue persisted, but I have emailed Garmin to ask if these issues had been addressed. I am awaiting their reply. They were very prompt about fixing the problem with the glue, but it just came loose again in 6 months. I took the unit apart several times to reconnect the ribbon connector. That, too, is a temporary fix. I admit I use my GPS receivers very often and in rough conditions, but my 76CS has had zero problems in the three+ years I have owned it. None of this may be of concern to the casual eTrex user.