Why am I being asked to validate my account

junglehair

I logged into my geocaching account this evening and received the following message:

You need to validate your account. If you have the validation code from the email we sent you, visit the validation page, otherwise you can send a validation email.

I haven't changed my email address or anything recently. In fact, after receiving that message, I checked my profile to make sure someone hadn't hacked in and tried to change the email address or something. My email address appears to be correct, but I never received an email regarding the validation.

Anyone else seen this?

From time to time, e-mails sent out by the website bounce back as undeliverable. This could be because the e-mail address is dead, or because of a short term problem like throttling by your ISP, or your e-mail server being down.

Periodically Geocaching.com sends out validation requests to accounts with a record of bouncing e-mails. Those who revalidate are back in business, which is what you should do. Those who do not revalidate will not receive further e-mails, thus reducing wear and tear on the hamster wheels at the Groundspeak e-mail farm.

There's nothing to be alarmed about. Even site volunteers have to go through this process sometimes. :laughing:

I'm an and continue to be a Gmail (Google Inc) user and have it forward (POP3) to my main personal account

and have not had to re-validate/experience problems at all for years but

I also have all the contact... noreply... at ...geocaching ...Groundspeak emails listed as

Contacts

(https://gmail.google.com: Main Page > (lower left) Contacts )

and I regularly patrol my personal spam folder/settings to

make sure I don't erroneously mark anything as spam leading to possible "block-listing" problems...

(knock on wood... :) )

I did run my email invalidator tool yesterday as bounces have been getting out of control lately, and there are always a few false-positives that get caught.

However, I was very surprised by the Gmail reports in this thread as I don't think I've ever seen a delivery issue to Gmail. I checked and can confirm this is a Groundspeak problem. One of the machines that sends out notifications is generating very strange and erroneous bounces when it tries to pass the email off to our main mail server.

In any case, I'll work to track this down and fix it as its a larger and more serious issue than just invalidating a few extra accounts. But I do apologize to those Gmail users whose accounts were erroneously invalidated.

:) Elias

Chalk me up as another Gmail user who had to validate my account. I wondered why I wasn't receiving any coords when I clicked on local caches. Took a few moments to find out. All is good now, although I'm only running at 4% of my account capacity at G-mail, so I'd have to go Hhhmmmm! as to why e-mails might have bounced.

Hhhmmmm.......

Chalk me up as another Gmail user who had to validate my account. I wondered why I wasn't receiving any coords when I clicked on local caches. Took a few moments to find out. All is good now, although I'm only running at 4% of my account capacity at G-mail, so I'd have to go Hhhmmmm! as to why e-mails might have bounced.

Its a Groundspeak problem, emails weren't bouncing from Gmail.

:o Elias

Its a Groundspeak problem, emails weren't bouncing from Gmail.

:( Elias

See......the people I work with say that I have problems, but that's another story.

Thanks for the response Elias! :o

I realize this is a Groundspeak issue and that Elias is working on it.

Just wanted to add that I too am a Gmail user and I had to validate my account early this morning and just now (10pm Eastern time) to find that again my account was screwed up and needed to be validated.

Apparently there were a slew of new caches in my area and I got no emails pertaining to them, but it obviously messed up my account.

Hopefully a fix is around the corner. :o

I recently had to validate my Geocaching account also. My mail is received on my LHollo777@comcast.net account and forwarded to my aol.com email address. I thought all was well after validating until I just noticed that none of my Friday pocket queries have arrived. Investigating that issue I have now discovered that all my pocket query request have been deleted, wiped out, gone, zip, zero, nada!!! Oh well, back to square one!

I recently had to validate my Geocaching account also. <snip> I thought all was well after validating until I just noticed that none of my Friday pocket queries have arrived. Investigating that issue I have now discovered that all my pocket query request have been deleted, wiped out, gone, zip, zero, nada!!! Oh well, back to square one!

This is very strange. I haven't checked your account, but I can tell you that we have no process in place to delete PQ records. Are you sure you're logged in to the correct account?

B) Elias

How about this - in the course of researching this, I found that I invalidated one of Jeremy's Gmail accounts too.... :(

;) Elias

It was probably one of his sock puppets. :)

JungleHair - see, if you hadn't have moved from beautiful Rochester, NY to the frozen tundra this probably wouldn't have happened. (and yes, I have been drinking, so it's ok to use "beautiful" and "Rochester" together)

I feel like I've been validated. :lol: Actually I got the now infamous invalidation e-mail two days ago. I use mediacom and have had trouble not getting mail from other important sources as well.

When I saw it come up I thought, "Oh no! Now all my 70+ geocache webpages are either gone or will be once I 'start over' with a new account." Or so I thought. Fearing the worst I used an old alias , which I had to validate again, and copied the source code of each webpage. I feel better having all the HTML on "paper" anyway. Now if a terrorist somehow destroys my data I have record of all that I typed in. I use HTML a lot and do NOT want to go through typing all that in again.

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom

I clicked on the validate account link and am waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the validation to come through. How long should I wait before I decide that it isn't going to come through? What can I do if it never does?

Last night it worked right away for my alias. Maybe the system is bogged down right now or maybe someone is currently working on the problem.

It's done and for now I'm on the move again. :lol:

Edited by Iowa Tom

But you guessed wrong. :huh:

Since the forums are on a separate server, the OP's updated member information hasn't passed from the website to the forums. That is, the OP is listed as a basic member on the GC.com profile page, while still being a Premium Member in the forums.

My recommendation, if the registration process is not working, is for the OP to write to the contact @ geocaching.com e-mail address with full details about the renewal payment. One of the helpful customer service reps will see your message when their work week starts on Monday morning.

EDIT to add: This is an entirely separate issue from the e-mail validation problem that is the topic of this thread.

Edited by The Leprechauns