Ask the audience

Alibags

Here's the scenario:

A cache of mine was logged by somebody. Reading the log, it seems that they did not actually find the cache, but were convinced that it was missing and so left a replacement cache, signing that and claiming the find. This cacher has my phone number, but did not ring me to ask what I thought about this. Subsequently, a couple more cachers have come along and signed the replacement cache and logged their finds. Today, on checking the cache, I found first the replacement cache and then 20 seconds later, the original cache, still in place.

So, I thought I would ask the audience what I should do. Should I go log zapping, and if so, all the logs or just the first one (the others found it in good faith), or should I just ignore it and get on with my life, it's just a hunt for a lunchbox after all?

Yeah, zap the first one. Sounds a bloomin' cheek to me!

Unless your original one was a particularly unusual container and part of the challenge is to identify an object as being the cache in which case delete all subsequent logs and contact them to explain why

Mark

If it's the one Geoff replaced, blame him! ;)

Seriously, if it's one I couldn't find the other night, we didn't call because we were both satisfied it'd gone, and it was almost midnight- A bit late for a PAF. I'm not sure if "Reading the log, it seems that they did not actually find the cache" really paints an accurate picture. It was clearly stated in my log what I'd done and why. I suspect others have done the same thing- The difference being 'it seems' the original micro was still in place, and was just unfound in the dark, by a past finder and another 'experienced cacher', despite a very thorough search and the last log being a DNF from two weeks before... Perhaps a clearer clue may have helped, or past finders returning it to its original position. Geoff was sure it'd moved before we were sure it'd gone. Sorry if this act of charity was misplaced, but it seemed like the best thing to do in the situation at the time.

Anyway, I'd be happy to change my find to a DNF but I suggest you let the other logs stand as they found it in good faith, as you say.

If it's another cache all together, I suggest you contact the 'finder' directly, and explain the problem. I imagine they'd be just as happy to change their log to a DNF as I would be :D

Edit: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8c-e79047a6a303 - No need to email any explanation when you can put it to a public vote ;) It's also worth noting the cache is a 1 star for difficulty, which suggests it should have been easier than it was...

Edited by Simply Paul

It seems that Paul has decided to out himself! ;)

I have no doubt at all that you replaced it in good faith, but as the original was there, you can understand my dilemma, I am sure. I suspect that having Geoff there 'helping' you rather served to convince you that the original was missing, as he had previously found it. Caches do move about, that's just in their nature, so expecting it to be in exactly the same place as when it was previously found was a bit optimistic... although you would probably be amused to know that the original was less than 6" from where you put the replacement, and neither of them are where I originally hid the cache! ;)

Now, if you do the decent thing and change your log to a DNF, as you suggest, then I would let the other logs stand. Apologies that it means you will have to drag yourself out to the cache again at some point in the future. At least it's not too far from home AND you will be very pleased to learn, the cache is now a small, as after a caching trip into the ivy covered trees lately I have learned to hate micros this way!, so it should be a doddle to find on your return trip! Leave it a while and I will probably put out some more of the series!

Edited by Alibags

I didn't do it! It wasn't me! You can't prove anything! ;)

Well, maybe.

I was convinced the cache had gone - and when Paul asked if I had a replacement micro I was only too happy to oblige. We probably should have phoned - sorry Ali - I'll remember you for all those late-night PAFs in the future!! :D

So at the end of this - SP has to refind the cache, and I'm a 35mm container down. ;)

But what's a micro between friends - you can keep it and redeploy it elsewhere! :D

It's also worth noting the cache is a 1 star for difficulty, which suggests it should have been easier than it was...
Hmm, several logs describing at as an easy find and the previous dnf due to muggling risk?
A micro in ivy, easy? Only if you're lucky! Geoff and I spent over half an hour looking for it and still DNF'd it. Now it's a small box hopefully the clue will match its location and the one-star difficulty rating will be more accurate (in my opinion).

Now, if you do the decent thing and change your log to a DNF, as you suggest, then I would let the other logs stand.
It seems you didn't notice I'd amended my log 40 minutes before you posted this. :laughing:

Just to make it clear, having conducted a fingertip search of the ivy for a micro, I was reasonably sure it'd gone and Geoff can take no blame for that. I was also far from pointing a mobile finger of blame at Sensei or any past finder; a micro in ivy is bound to move about a bit. I saw you'd upgraded the cache, and I hope that'll help me find it when I have another go!

Hi there, not too bothered about the in and outs of this cache but in the past I have left replacement caches usually where there have been several dnfs and the owner obviously not in a position to replace. I always follow the log with an email to the owner explaining and requesting permission from the owner. To this end I have had several thank you follow ups.

It would appear that this helpfull approach is frowned upon by some.... best to have caches missing rather than available has always been my thought....

Now, if you do the decent thing and change your log to a DNF, as you suggest, then I would let the other logs stand.
It seems you didn't notice I'd amended my log 40 minutes before you posted this. :laughing:

[This entry was edited by Simply Paul on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 at 7:12:02 AM.]

Errr... isn't that 15:12:02 BST and therefore rather after 01:45 PM when this thread started?

It was certainly still a 'found it' when I posted my maint log and then started this topic. Anyhow, as SP has fallen upon his sword and done the decent thing, and the audience told me what I suspected they would (no need for 50/50), I think this thread can probably be closed, as I never intended to name names, and there is a danger that it will become personal.