Failure to Receive e-Mail Notifications

The Reformed Druids

Can anyone suggest a reason why I do not receive e-mail notifications for watched sites or trackable items (travel bugs or geocoins). I DO receive weekly geocache activity e-mails, and there is no indication that the geocache.com domain is blocked by my ISP (Mindspring). Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

thank you - thank you - thank you! i am currently having that same problem. someone at Groundspeak is looking into it - i'll mention this post to them.

'neko

It is not uncommon for some ISPs to throttle the rate at which they will accept email from Groundspeak servers. This can dramatically slow the emails sent to you.

In addtion, many ISPs, business and home networks are protected by some form of anti-spam technology. It is possible that something is marking the log emails as Junk and preventing them form arriving at your inbox. Check with them about this problem.

Also, many of the security suites that you may have installed on your own computer will flag, delete or move certain emails. Look closely at any updates these programs may have installed.

Finally, you may have accidently created a "rule" in your email software that is doing something to your emails. Check the documentation for hints.

It is not uncommon for some ISPs to throttle the rate at which they will accept email from Groundspeak servers. This can dramatically slow the emails sent to you.

In addtion, many ISPs, business and home networks are protected by some form of anti-spam technology. It is possible that something is marking the log emails as Junk and preventing them form arriving at your inbox. Check with them about this problem.

Also, many of the security suites that you may have installed on your own computer will flag, delete or move certain emails. Look closely at any updates these programs may have installed.

Finally, you may have accidently created a "rule" in your email software that is doing something to your emails. Check the documentation for hints.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will check all of them. I am confused, however, by the fact that I receive weekly cache updates without any problems. For the present, I have modified the spam filter to hold, rather than delete, any messages so that I can see if anything from geocaching.com is being flagged. Is there any other domain besides the above that I should be checking for?

Check Groundspeak.com and Waymarking.com. My ISP blocked all the email from all the Groundspeak domains so I changed my GC.com email address to gmail.com, which I then forward to my email client. I haven't had a problem . . . until today . . .

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

miragee@myISP.com

Technical details of permanent failure:

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 13): 550 5.7.1 <miragee@MyISP.com>... Relaying denied

Guess I have to contact my ISP and find out what they are up to this time . . . ;)

We haven't received any watchlist notifications since 12:34 am 9/6/07.

Looks like servers need to be resest again.

This problem happens periodically and its cause is usually from GC and their servers. Hopefully we don't loose all the emails like has sometimes happened in the past.

I wonder why this affects some people and not others (assuming these aren't problems caused by the user's ISP)? I've received 10 notifications, from a combination of my Watchlist and a couple of bookmark lists, in the past 12 hours, which is pretty typical for me. The latest one arrived just 10 minutes ago.

--Larry

We've never received a watchlist email (or an insta-notify) one (only been premium members for a month). But the weekly update gets through perfectly.

Is there anything I can/should do about this?

It looks like we sent you 2 watchlist emails yesterday around noon Pacific Time (GMT -8). Did you not receive those?

:o Elias

Check Groundspeak.com and Waymarking.com. My ISP blocked all the email from all the Groundspeak domains so I changed my GC.com email address to gmail.com, which I then forward to my email client. I haven't had a problem . . . until today . . .

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

miragee@myISP.com

Technical details of permanent failure:

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 13): 550 5.7.1 <miragee@MyISP.com>... Relaying denied

Guess I have to contact my ISP and find out what they are up to this time . . . :huh:

I spoke with the Mindspring tech support desk and at first they told me that they do not deny e-mail delivery unless I report a site as spam. I reminded the rep that the statement was untrue since they have a "known spam" list that is in effect whether I blacklist someone or not. The rep finally admitted that they do have an "abuse" process whereby a domain can be blacklisted. I will contact that group at Mindspring and see if I can't get the domains unblocked.

In the interim, I have created a GMail account and notifications work just fine. However, as someone noted above, I cannot forward those e-mails to my Mindspring e-mail account (although I do not the the 'relay rejected' notification. They just never show up.

I'm receiving SOME watchlist and notify emails, but I'm definitely missing more than I'm receiving. My received volume on these has been very low (especially watchlist).

Although I'm getting some, I've been able to identify both notifies and watchlist emails that I did not receive.

I'm receiving SOME watchlist and notify emails, but I'm definitely missing more than I'm receiving. My received volume on these has been very low (especially watchlist).

Although I'm getting some, I've been able to identify both notifies and watchlist emails that I did not receive.

I agree with this! Are we having more email issues? I was looking through my list of placed caches when I noticed that one of them got found yesterday.....I never got the email!

I have an opposite problem that's happened the last couple days. A couple months ago I changed my email address on gc.com from a yahoo mail account to a gmail account. Yesterday and today I received 2 found log notices in my yahoo account. But all the rest of the found logs and newly published logs came to my gmail account. What's up with that??

Can anyone suggest a reason why I do not receive e-mail notifications for watched sites or trackable items (travel bugs or geocoins). I DO receive weekly geocache activity e-mails, and there is no indication that the geocache.com domain is blocked by my ISP (Mindspring). Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I am having the same problem... no good answer from the Geocache problem solvers... have you found a solution as yet??

Our problem with e-mail is with the Notifications of new caches. There are several instances where not all cachers in the area receive the notification at the same time (or at least close). One case today showed the notice was received by one cacher at 5:42 pm. and another cacher didn't receive their notification until 8:33 pm. So much for a level playing field. Note: We do have different ISPs. We all do get the notices, just not at the same time.

Our problem with e-mail is with the Notifications of new caches. There are several instances where not all cachers in the area receive the notification at the same time (or at least close). One case today showed the notice was received by one cacher at 5:42 pm. and another cacher didn't receive their notification until 8:33 pm. So much for a level playing field. Note: We do have different ISPs. We all do get the notices, just not at the same time.

Wow, neat... I just got an "instant" notification of a cache placed on September 12th (It came through on the 24th at 8:34 pm). :P

Wow, neat... I just got an "instant" notification of a cache placed on September 12th (It came through on the 24th at 8:34 pm). :P

Hey, I got one from the 12th at about that time, as well. :P

Less than 30 minutes later, I got a new notification of a cache that was actually newly published.

It seems that most of my notifications come right away, with random hiccoughs in the system.

Hey, I got one from the 12th at about that time, as well. :P

Less than 30 minutes later, I got a new notification of a cache that was actually newly published.

It seems that most of my notifications come right away, with random hiccoughs in the system.

Actually mine was followed by two 'real' notifications that came through at 10:30 and 11:00pm. I wonder if the first one just needed a little push :P .

I don't know if this is related, but this evening I received notification of my own logs on someone else's cache that I'm watching. I posted these logs on Sept 12. Shortly after I received the two-week-late notifications, the owner emailed me about my logs. I haven't confirmed yet, but it seems that this was the first notice they got. It's also worth noting that the cache was not on my watchlist until after I posted my logs.

The cache:

GCMV0K

Edit: Just noticed everyone else is posting about notifications from the 12th. So it probably is related, eh? I'd also add that I know my logs were on the cache page all this time.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I'll add that I also recieved a notifcation today, 9/24 for a cache that was actually listed on 9/12. There seems to be some coming through normally while others are not. I know of atleast two currently that I've found that I've not had a new cache notification email.

I'm using Comcast if that makes any difference. Hope it works out.

I am having the same problem... no good answer from the Geocache problem solvers... have you found a solution as yet??

I have not reached a solution with Mindspring yet, but I have solved the problem by opening a G-mail account. It is a workaround since it is yet another e-mail address, but it does work. However, I cannot forward notification e-mails from the G_mail account to my Mindspring account.

I have not reached a solution with Mindspring yet, but I have solved the problem by opening a G-mail account. It is a workaround since it is yet another e-mail address, but it does work. However, I cannot forward notification e-mails from the G_mail account to my Mindspring account.

Why can't you forward the mail from gmail to your Mindspring account? Alhough I don't have Mindspring as my ISP, I succeeded in forwarding the mail from gmail to my ISP.

Edit to add appropriate quote

Edited by Miragee

Why can't you forward the mail from gmail to your Mindspring account? Alhough I don't have Mindspring as my ISP, I succeeded in forwarding the mail from gmail to my ISP

I see the line of quotes you're referring to, but I've got gmail and they aren't making it that far (sometimes). To get forwarded, they'd first have to make it to my gmail account...

Once I set up the gmail account as my GC.com email address, I don't think I have missed any notifications . . . Are you not getting any mail from GC.com?

I'm getting them now... It might've been a coincidence if you set up your account sometime around/after Sept 12th because it seems that a lot of people with different addresses didn't get notifications near that date.

Is there some kind of SPAM filter that is sending those notifications into another place? When I set up some filters on my ISP webmail site, I had to Whitelist certain email addresses because mail from those Domains went into the Quarantine folder.

No I don't use any filters. Thanks for your reply. The problem cleared today. All at once I started receiving my notifications again today after my post above. I did not receive any of the notification that I should have received yesterday but I did start getting the ones for today.

I am receiving email notifications about posts in the forums and notifications about some items on my Watchlist, but I had a TB move on Sunday, and I did not receive any notification. So, I think notifications are sporadic.

I have NOT been receiving New Published Cache emails but have been receiving Archieve and Out-of-Archive type notifications. I do not have any filters and if I have errored in filtering at my ISP, I would see it in my "Screened Email" folder. I think there is an issue and I sent an email to Groundspeak - now the service is down so I think they are trying to fix it.

I have NOT been receiving New Published Cache emails but have been receiving Archieve and Out-of-Archive type notifications. I do not have any filters and if I have errored in filtering at my ISP, I would see it in my "Screened Email" folder. I think there is an issue and I sent an email to Groundspeak - now the service is down so I think they are trying to fix it.

I saw that 2 of my caches were logged 2 days ago yet I did not receive any emails. My mom watches those caches and she didn't receive any emails. Perhaps there is a problem.

Edited by smithdk