San Diego Whiners Thread

"lostguy"

Just visiting from Vancouver checking out some of the caches GCHJHW I visited I noticed this caches strange log.Heres there log what do you all think seems that they didn't log a cache but they want a smiley

and I came here to go P but I dropped the package before we could sign the log. I went down to look where it may have landed but had no luck. Bill and Laurie came down and helped me search but that is when we all got wet....literally! The sprinklers went off!!!

Thanks to me the cache is now missing but I'll replace it soon. Sorry about that!

If you lost a cache how do you get a smiley not sure how that works???

Edited by M.S. thebrain and Pinky
Just visiting from Vancouver checking out some of the caches GCHJHW I visited I noticed this caches strange log.Heres there log what do you all think seems that they didn't log a cache but they want a smiley and I came here to go P but I dropped the package before we could sign the log. I went down to look where it may have landed but had no luck. Bill and Laurie came down and helped me search but that is when we all got wet....literally! The sprinklers went off!!! Thanks to me the cache is now missing but I'll replace it soon. Sorry about that!

It was hard to follow what you wrote, but I agree that people should sign the logbook. I would have logged it after I replaced it and signed the log. Chalk it up to newbie enthusiasm. :blink: Edited by TrailGators
Just visiting from Vancouver checking out some of the caches GCHJHW I visited I noticed this caches strange log.Heres there log what do you all think seems that they didn't log a cache but they want a smiley and I came here to go P but I dropped the package before we could sign the log. I went down to look where it may have landed but had no luck. Bill and Laurie came down and helped me search but that is when we all got wet....literally! The sprinklers went off!!! Thanks to me the cache is now missing but I'll replace it soon. Sorry about that!

It was hard to follow what you wrote, but I agree that people should sign the logbook. I would have logged it after I replaced it and signed the log. Chalk it up to newbie enthusiasm. :)

GCHJHW

Read the log

Cacher had over 2000 finds {or did they}I mean write a note go home replace cache then log your smiley but come on you lost a cache and you want credit even though you never did sign the log !!!!!

It was hard to follow what you wrote, but I agree that people should sign the logbook. I would have logged it after I replaced it and signed the log. Chalk it up to newbie enthusiasm. :)

GCHJHW

Read the log

Cacher had over 2000 finds {or did they}I mean write a note go home replace cache then log your smiley but come on you lost a cache and you want credit even though you never did sign the log !!!!!

Yes, Thunder-4 and company have earned all 2000 + of their caches, make no mistake there.

Although (personally) I wouldn't have posted a "found it" until the cache had been replaced, the San Diego Geocaching Police has determined that no major crime has been committed.

Thank you for your concern and happy caching,

D!

Edited by Duncan!

It was hard to follow what you wrote, but I agree that people should sign the logbook. I would have logged it after I replaced it and signed the log. Chalk it up to newbie enthusiasm. :P

GCHJHW

Read the log

We will have the violators flogged and stoned. :)

Lighten up. They are very nice "people." People is the operative word as in people sometimes make mistakes. Anyhow, they said they would replace it. :D

Maybe you should plan a trip to Wisconsin and attend one of their events.... :D:)

Edited by TrailGators

It was hard to follow what you wrote, but I agree that people should sign the logbook. I would have logged it after I replaced it and signed the log. Chalk it up to newbie enthusiasm. :P

GCHJHW

Read the log

We will have the violators flogged and stoned. :) They said they would replace it. :D Maybe you should plan a trip to Wisconsin and attend one of their events.... :D:)

Don't get me started on event only pocket caches, or iceplant for that matter... :D

OHPLEASE

For Christs sake Jack, would you stop that incessant whining, and don't point out interesting viewpoints when you are driving on roads with 300ft drop-offs. It scares some of us whimps.

<put's on holier than though attitude and whining hat and climbs up on soapbox>

I sure am tired of all of you people that just refuse to use punctuation in your logs! First of all, Jack, there should be a space between OH and Please. Like this . . . OH PLEASE.

And lostguy has absolutely no room to complain about you, since he forgot to put an apostrophe between the t and s of Christ's. Christs is the plural of Christ. Christ's means that it belongs to Christ.

Whine, whine, whine, whine.

</put's on holier than though attitude and whining hat and climbs up on soapbox>

Don't get me started on event only pocket caches, or iceplant for that matter... ;)

What's wrong with iceplant?

I'm glad you asked. It's a non-native, invasive weed. I suppose it's okay for your front/back yard or the side of the interstate, but it gets into our canyons and starts killing off native plants. I guess the only good thing about it is that it can't survive heavy frosts, so you usually only find it in the costal areas. Iceplant really should be eradicated in all of SD's natural areas (Tecolote canyon is especially infested), so don't feel bad if you trample some on your way to a cache. Didn't I warn you not to get me started??

D!

Edited by Duncan!

Don't get me started on event only pocket caches, or iceplant for that matter... ;)

What's wrong with iceplant?

I'm glad you asked. It's a non-native, invasive weed. I suppose it's okay for your front/back yard or the side of the interstate, but it gets into our canyons and starts killing off native plants. I guess the only good thing about it is that it can't survive heavy frosts, so you usually only find it in the costal areas. Iceplant really should be eradicated in all of SD's natural areas (Tecolote canyon is especially infested), so don't feel bad if you trample some on your way to a cache. Didn't I warn you not to get me started??

D!

Ice Plant, Sea Fig

Carpobrotus chilensis

Where is it from?

Iceplant (sea fig) is native to South Africa.

It was brought to this country for bank stabilization and quickly became a popular landscaping plant.

What makes it a "BAD" plant?

It excludes native dunemat vegetation.

It displaces three (CNPS List 1B) sensitive plant species: beach layia (Layia carnosa) [also federally listed as endangered], Wolf's evening primrose (Oenothera wolfii) and pink sand verbena (Abronia umbellata ssp. brevifolia).

It stabilizes sand, preventing its natural movement which most native dune species need to survive.

Iceplant/sea fig has the capability of growing over entire beaches.

How do you get rid of it?

Iceplant is easy to pull out of the sand.

Roots must be removed and all parts of the plant must be taken from the site to prevent resprouting.

CAUTION: Do not remove ice plant without permission in writing or direction from the private land owner, manager or, if on public lands, an agency official. Much of the area where ice plant occurs is actual or potential habitat for sensitive species that iceplant threatens. Controlling iceplant and restoring habitat are worthy goals, but the immediate protection of sensitive species, especially when they are reproducing, always takes precedence, as is required under the Endangered Species Act.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/redw/iceplant.htm

Last Update: June 12, 2001

OK, now you've got me going...let me introduce you to my "favorite" non-native species...

Andean Pampas Grass

e.g. Jubata Grass

Cortaderia jubata

Grass family

Where is it from?

Pampas grass is native to South America.

Where are you likely to find it?

• It is used as an ornamental in landscaping.
  • There are two species, Cortaderia selloana and Cortaderia jubata. Cortaderia selloana (true Pampas grass) can be a problem along the central and southern California coast. Cortaderia jubata (Jubata grass or Andean Pampas grass) is highly invasive throughout coastal California.
  • Andean Pampas/Jubata grass colonizes bare and disturbed ground. It invades roadsides, cutbanks, dunes, coastal bluffs, rock outcrops, landslides and logged lands.

What makes it a "BAD" plant?

• Andean Pampas/Jubata grass is a large, conspicuous plant that distracts from the unique visual landscapes of the area.
  • Plants produces millions of seeds that develop without pollination.
  • It is an aggressive colonizer that competes with native vegetation. It can displace native coastal dune, shrub, and estuarine vegetation, and it slows early forest re-growth on logged lands.
  • Its large, showy plumes distract from appreciation of the natural landscapes and native flora that inspired establishing the redwood parks.
  • Andean Pampas/Jubata grass is a threat to the integrity of coastal dune, shrub and estuarine ecosystems.
  • It causes geocachers to bleed.
  • It causes severe sinus distress to LLOT and Ms. LLOT when it pollinates every BLEEPING August!

How do you get rid of it?

• Pulling or digging out the plants while small is best. Small ones are easily pulled by hand when the soil is moist. Winter and spring are good seasons. A pulaski and shovel are useful when a plant is too large to pull safely by hand.
  • The mature plants are very difficult to remove by hand. It is possible to undercut and remove one using a combination of pulaski and shovel, but it takes a long time. The easiest way is to place a choker cable around the plant's base and pull it out with a winch. If the choker slips off the plant, dig around the base for a better grip and try again. The soil must be moist. Winter and spring are good seasons. After removal, turn the plant upside down so that the roots no longer touch the ground. Re-check every few months for contact.
  • Unless able to take root again, the plant will die.
  • Cutting the plumes off and placing them in bags helps to prevent further seed dispersal. The plumes cannot be cut and left on bare ground. The seeds will sprout.

What can you do to help?

• Discourage people from picking the plumes and waving them around, transporting them in vehicles or attaching them to their radio antenna. These plumes are full of viable seeds which will be dispersed everywhere!
  • To get even more involved in control of exotic species, sign up as a Volunteer in Parks (VIP).
  • Shout "Death to all pampas grass!" when ever you see one.

CAUTION: Do not remove plants without permission in writing or direction from the land owner, manager or, if on public lands, an agency official (unless, course, there's no one looking...)

http://www.nps.gov/redw/pampas.htm

Death to all pampas grass!

OHPLEASE

For Christs sake Jack, would you stop that incessant whining, and don't point out interesting viewpoints when you are driving on roads with 300ft drop-offs. It scares some of us whimps.

<put's on holier than though attitude and whining hat and climbs up on soapbox>

I sure am tired of all of you people that just refuse to use punctuation in your logs! First of all, Jack, there should be a space between OH and Please. Like this . . . OH PLEASE.

And lostguy has absolutely no room to complain about you, since he forgot to put an apostrophe between the t and s of Christ's. Christs is the plural of Christ. Christ's means that it belongs to Christ.

Whine, whine, whine, whine.

</put's on holier than though attitude and whining hat and climbs up on soapbox>

Do you mean to tell me there is only one Christ. I thought that there must be at least 6 or 8 so I left off the apostrophe. That and I suck at grammar, punctuation, spelling, finding caches and puzzles. There are more but they escape me at the moment.

OK, now you've got me going...let me introduce you to my "favorite" non-native species...Death to all pampas grass!

OK, now you've got me going...let me introduce you to my "favorite" non-native species and it's not from Bermuda....

Bermuda Grass

Common Names: Bahama Grass, Devil's Grass, Couch Grass, Wire Grass, Indian Doab

Genus: Cynodon

Species: dactylon

Parts Used: the stems and the leaves

bermuda_grass.jpg

Bermuda grass originally came from the savannas of Africa and is the common name for all the East African species of Cynodon. It grows in open areas where there are frequent disturbances such as grazing, flooding, and fire.

Although most of these species have remained in Africa, today Cynodon dactylon is found in warm climates all over the world between 45° south and 45° north latitude. It can be found growing in pastures and the understories of open woodlands and orchards. It is called bermuda grass in the United States because it was introduced from the Bermuda Island.

Bermuda grass is a creeping grass, and will creeps along the ground and root where ever a node touches the ground, forming a dense mat. It also reproduces from roots under the ground. It has a deep root system, and in drought situations the root system can grow 47 to 59 inches (120-150 cm) deep. Most of the root mass lies 24 inches (60 cm) under the surface.

Bermuda grass is considered a very invasive and competitive weed. Few herbicides are effective against it. Before mechanized farm machinery, bermuda grass was the farmer's worst weed.

Why it is bad: Once it gets in your yard you are hosed. :unsure:

Death to all Bermuda grass!

Edited by TrailGators
What do you call those thingies that dig into your socks/ankles when you get within 100' of any San Diego canyon...? Foxtails, wethink...? (Caching company excluded, of course!!)
I hate foxtails! You might as well throw away your socks if you go through a thick patch of foxtail grass. Foxtail grass can also be very bad for geodogs. Edited by TrailGators

Just visiting from Vancouver checking out some of the caches GCHJHW I visited I noticed this caches strange log.Heres there log what do you all think seems that they didn't log a cache but they want a smiley

and I came here to go P but I dropped the package before we could sign the log. I went down to look where it may have landed but had no luck. Bill and Laurie came down and helped me search but that is when we all got wet....literally! The sprinklers went off!!!

Thanks to me the cache is now missing but I'll replace it soon. Sorry about that!

Pinky Brain,

You're not loosing any sleep over this, are you?

To clear up the air with my SD geofriends, I spoke with Spyder (cache owner) via email about the incident and told him I'd replace the cache and he thanked me. If he asked me to change my log, I would have done so in a heartbeat.

Carpe Diem!!!!!

Pinky Brain,

You're not loosing any sleep over this, are you?

To clear up the air with my SD geofriends, I spoke with Spyder (cache owner) via email about the incident and told him I'd replace the cache and he thanked me. If he asked me to change my log, I would have done so in a heartbeat.

Carpe Diem!!!!!

Amen Randy. Words used against others' good intentions would be better spent towards writing more (positively) to cache logs. Alot of work is put into their placement... Seize the day indeed!... That's all I got to say about that...

Edited by wewilldo7
That and I suck at grammar, punctuation, spelling, finding caches and puzzles. There are more but they escape me at the moment.

Good whine!

I cannot spell. Why does it take me twice as long to type something because I have to go to dictionary.com to find out if I spelled something wrong? The California public school system failed me :unsure: Why can't this forum have a spell checker?

What do you call those thingies that dig into your socks/ankles when you get within 100' of any San Diego canyon...? Foxtails, wethink...? (Caching company excluded, of course!!)
I hate foxtails! You might as well throw away your socks if you go through a thick patch of foxtail grass. Foxtail grass can also be very bad for geodogs.

A few dogs, including Golden Retrievers, have webbed feet that can easily pick up and trap foxtails between the toes :unsure: Trimming the hair around and between the toes makes them easier to spot and remove.

We've both thrown out socks and even tennis shoes that have gotten so infested with foxtails that we couldn't get them all out. This is why, sometimes, fire is a good thing. :unsure:

[*]It causes geocachers to bleed.

Death to all pampas grass!

I couldn't agree more. I hate the stuff and it always trys to shred me to pieces.

DIE PAMPAS GRASS!!! :unsure::unsure:

:blink: But it is so pretty.......

Death I say! Its Pretty in the same way an A-Bomb is pretty. Sure I like to watch it, but do I want to go near it? No way!! which reminds me of the horrors of a certain cache.

Not For the Delicate

ROCKS ,Big ones, small ones, all colors. There are just to many rocks in S.D. County.

Cachers like to hide things in them, BAD. Some rock piles aren't so bad, mainly the ones in the desert.

Then there's those dang fake rocks hidden in a rock pile.

Get rid of all ROCKS 0002006A.gif

Edited by SKILLET
I'm not one to be tellin' tales outta school, but someone by the initials of "T.T." is in town.

Watch for P-bombs.

D!

:DOMG Wasn't anyone watching the borders? OMG

There are reliable indications that TT has been in Sorrento Valley earlier today... :D

(Well, OK, technically as of this hour, it was "yesterday" but it's still "today" for all intents and purposes...)

No whining in two days? What's that all about?? What gives? Huh?

Must be a record.

D!

OK here's a whine: Somebody deleted 3 of my cache finds today and I have no clue who did it.

Splashman was looking at our find count after you mentioned it. Ours has two different totals depending on where you check :) I think we were docked between 10 & 20..........we can't remember how many we had :P

Hope it's some kind of 'upgrade?' or something!

The Splashes :P:D

Must be a record.

D!

OK here's a whine: Somebody deleted 3 of my cache finds today and I have no clue who did it.

Splashman was looking at our find count after you mentioned it. Ours has two different totals depending on where you check :D I think we were docked between 10 & 20..........we can't remember how many we had :P

The Splashes :P:D

I looked at it some more and my banner is showing 4 less caches than my stats page now. I forgot about logging one cache so I am actually missing 4....sort of. I really don't care because they can't erase all the fun that I had with the site upgrades. :)

Must be a record.

D!

Splashman was looking at our find count after you mentioned it. Ours has two different totals depending on where you check :D I think we were docked between 10 & 20..........we can't remember how many we had :P

The Splashes :P:)

Hey, maybe they are now automatically getting rid of duplicate finds and/or finds of your own cache (ducking and running :D )
OK, now you've got me going...let me introduce you to my "favorite" non-native species...Death to all pampas grass!

OK, now you've got me going...let me introduce you to my "favorite" non-native species and it's not from Bermuda....

Bermuda Grass

Common Names: Bahama Grass, Devil's Grass, Couch Grass, Wire Grass, Indian Doab

Genus: Cynodon

Species: dactylon

Parts Used: the stems and the leaves

bermuda_grass.jpg

Bermuda grass originally came from the savannas of Africa and is the common name for all the East African species of Cynodon. It grows in open areas where there are frequent disturbances such as grazing, flooding, and fire.

Although most of these species have remained in Africa, today Cynodon dactylon is found in warm climates all over the world between 45° south and 45° north latitude. It can be found growing in pastures and the understories of open woodlands and orchards. It is called bermuda grass in the United States because it was introduced from the Bermuda Island.

Bermuda grass is a creeping grass, and will creeps along the ground and root where ever a node touches the ground, forming a dense mat. It also reproduces from roots under the ground. It has a deep root system, and in drought situations the root system can grow 47 to 59 inches (120-150 cm) deep. Most of the root mass lies 24 inches (60 cm) under the surface.

Bermuda grass is considered a very invasive and competitive weed. Few herbicides are effective against it. Before mechanized farm machinery, bermuda grass was the farmer's worst weed.

Why it is bad: Once it gets in your yard you are hosed. :shocked:

Death to all Bermuda grass!

Bermuda grass isn't al that bad what do you think powers my Geohorse through MTRP :o

What the heck is it with these people that in their hints they say e-mail me for a hint or maybe later. is that before or after you have looked for it. They don't want us to find them or make 3 trips to find it. I guess that's ok if you are a local, but when you drive 20 miles to GZ it does get kind of frustrateing. I mean the coords get you with in 15 feet if their coords are good, but that is still a 30 foot radius.

Then there are the ones that say stealth required. How the heck do you use stealth when your looking for a Micro with no Hint or a Hint that makes no sense and there are folks sitting at tables in plain view. Stealth my @#% everyone is looking at you wondering what the heck are these crazy people doing . OK that's my rant for today 0002006A.gif

Edited by SKILLET

What the heck is it with these people that in their hints they say e-mail me for a hint or maybe later. is that before or after you have looked for it. They don't want us to find them or make 3 trips to find it. I guess that's ok if you are a local, but when you drive 20 miles to GZ it does get kind of frustrateing. I mean the coords get you with in 15 feet if their coords are good, but that is still a 30 foot radius.

Then there are the ones that say stealth required. How the heck do you use stealth when your looking for a Micro with no Hint or a Hint that makes no sense and there are folks sitting at tables in plain view. Stealth my @#% everyone is looking at you wondering what the heck are these crazy people doing . OK that's my rant for today 0002006A.gif

A quote from that great movie "Ghost". Ditto

Then there are the ones that say stealth required. How the heck do you use stealth when your looking for a Micro with no Hint or a Hint that makes no sense and there are folks sitting at tables in plain view. Stealth my @#% everyone is looking at you wondering what the heck are these crazy people doing .

Any cacher worth his or her salt should be able to walk up to an occupied table and look underneath it without being noticed!

(Oh, wait! Did I forget to turn on the sarcasm flag...? :laughing: )

Then there are the ones that say stealth required. How the heck do you use stealth when your looking for a Micro with no Hint or a Hint that makes no sense and there are folks sitting at tables in plain view. Stealth my @#% everyone is looking at you wondering what the heck are these crazy people doing .

Any cacher worth his or her salt should be able to walk up to an occupied table and look underneath it without being noticed!

Like the cache at the Livingroom yesterday when I had to walk up to a table of young co-eds in skirts and say, "Excuse me, but I need to look under your table for something. Don't mind me..." :wacko:

p.s., I found it a little later on in a tree... :D

(Oh, wait! Did I forget to turn on the sarcasm flag...? :wacko: )

Like the cache at the Livingroom yesterday when I had to walk up to a table of young co-eds in skirts and say, "Excuse me, but I need to look under your table for something. Don't mind me..." :D

p.s., I found it a little later on in a tree... :laughing:

Here's another embarrasing and risky hide, especially for old geezers like, well, you know who I'm talking about.

Neighborhood mini-parks often feature a play structure with one or more slides for little kiddies. Often there's a herd of young mommies of the stroller brigade sitting together to whine about the heartbreak of motherhood while their little darlings cavort upon the play structure.

There's actual cases of micro and nano caches that have been placed beneath the lower end of play-structure slides. Now that's a great hunt for old geezers like me, creeping around beneath a play-structure slide while little dears are cavorting topside.

That's a whistle-blower and potentially a fast trip to Donovan State Prison. On the other hand a find is a find, yes?

Note to Geezers: In situations like this never try to explain your intentions by saying "I'm tryin' t' make a quick grab."

Edited by SD Rowdies

Like the cache at the Livingroom yesterday when I had to walk up to a table of young co-eds in skirts and say, "Excuse me, but I need to look under your table for something. Don't mind me..." :D

p.s., I found it a little later on in a tree... :laughing:

Here's another embarrasing and risky hide, especially for old geezers like, well, you know who I'm talking about.

Neighborhood mini-parks often feature a play structure with one or more slides for little kiddies. Often there's a herd of young mommies of the stroller brigade sitting together to whine about the heartbreak of motherhood while their little darlings cavort upon the play structure.

There's actual cases of micro and nano caches that have been placed beneath the lower end of play-structure slides. Now that's a great hunt for old geezers like me, creeping around beneath a play-structure slide while little dears are cavorting topside.

That's a whistle-blower and potentially a fast trip to Donovan State Prison. On the other hand a find is a find, yes?

Note to Geezers: In situations like this never try to explain your intentions by saying "I'm tryin' t' make a quick grab."

You don't have to be a geezer to have this scenario turn out badly... :laughing:

Now this brings to mind one of those absolutely pointless questions: Which would be worse: creeping around the playstructure while the little darlings cavort; or peering under the bench that is currently occupied by the stroller brigade? :laughing:

Now this brings to mind one of those absolutely pointless questions: Which would be worse: creeping around the playstructure while the little darlings cavort; or peering under the bench that is currently occupied by the stroller brigade? :D
Both stink but a stranger getting near the tots is far more likely to raise an immediate red flag.
Now this brings to mind one of those absolutely pointless questions: Which would be worse: creeping around the playstructure while the little darlings cavort; or peering under the bench that is currently occupied by the stroller brigade? :D
Both stink but a stranger getting near the tots is far more likely to raise an immediate red flag.

Now that I think this one over ... I've already been inside Donovan State Prison

numerous times. In fact I've been inside more State and Frederal prisons than any

inmate in the system.

So then how about this one, a magnetic micro attached to the bunk frame of a Level 5

inmate at Pelican Bay State Prison.

The rating could be:

Difficulty 1

Terrain 5 (Special equipment required)

Stealth 5 (Never, ever let a no-human-contact prisoner notice you while makinig a grab)

Edited by SD Rowdies
Now that I think this one over ... I've already been inside Donovan State Prison numerous times. In fact I've been inside more State and Frederal prisons than any inmate in the system.

So then how about this one, a magnetic micro attached to the bunk frame of a Level 5

The rating could be:

Difficulty 1

Stealth 5 (Never, ever let a no-human-contact prisoner notice you while makinig a grab)

Did you have some good single malt tonight Harmon? :laughing::D
Now that I think this one over ... I've already been inside Donovan State Prison numerous times. In fact I've been inside more State and Frederal prisons than any inmate in the system.

The rating could be:

Difficulty 1

Did you have some good single malt tonight Harmon? :laughing::D

No but I'm wasted anyway. Had to drive back to Santee from

Mt. Shasta overnight last night, fifteen hours in the saddle.

Heading back that way in a day or two.

I hate I-5!

Edited by SD Rowdies

The rating could be:

Difficulty 1

Did you have some good single malt tonight Harmon? :D:laughing:

No but I'm wasted anyway. Had to drive back to Santee from

Mt. Shasta overnight last night, fifteen hours in the saddle.

Heading back that way in a day or two.

I hate I-5!

I'm just joking with you Harmon. I bet you have some interesting prison stories. :laughing: