Aqua Caches in New Jersey

Jinxdude30

GC15NAF Published yesterday.

GC15FDR Bout 1 week old

GCVR68 Been there for ever-there are two others on the same Green Turtle Pond

GCVT75 Been out awhile.

Probably could do them in a day in the general vicinity of Pompton/Wayne

They constitute what is referred to as the "Goose Grease Series of Caches"

Marketing rules say that you should give the series a catch name to attract customers, I think you will appreciate the name of the series.

There is a paddle cache in Wawayanda, I am told it is a very long multi--I have been saving that for the after Labor Day price change.

There is Splitrock which is a great series on a beautiful lake.

Monksville has some Boot or Boats that I wish to go for some time soon.

There is one in Greenwood Lake, which presents put in logistical issues.

Edited by Packanack

This is a bookmark for some paddle tos in So. Jersey. One is a night cache.

My "Big Bass Cache" was designed to be reached by paddling. Unfortunately, most folks these days seem to just reach it by hiking around the lake. It's a FANTASTIC fishing area if you're out with a boat though.

BrianSnat had a cache near Wayne (I can't remember the name) where it was on an island (and had some other nice challenges) that I recall canoeing for - that was one of my favorite caches for a long time.

Of course, in 5 months with the winter freeze - all the paddle caches can be reached easier!

Too bad we can't do underwater caches here. I did a couple in the adirondacks and they were awesome...basically a nalgene bottle attached to an anchor out in the middle of a lake (not too deep though). I don't think there is anywhere you could legally put them here though, since we aren't technically allowed to swim in our lakes and rivers (except at guarded beaches). I was thinking Split Rock, but I'm sure you aren't really allowed to swim there.

Too bad we can't do underwater caches here. I did a couple in the adirondacks and they were awesome...basically a nalgene bottle attached to an anchor out in the middle of a lake (not too deep though). I don't think there is anywhere you could legally put them here though, since we aren't technically allowed to swim in our lakes and rivers (except at guarded beaches). I was thinking Split Rock, but I'm sure you aren't really allowed to swim there.

I've been trying to come up with a place for a legal underwater cache, or at least one that doesn't have swimming prohibited signs. Sheppards Pond in Ringwood SP and Round Valley Reservoir are ones I was considering, but I'm not sure how to go about it with the lifeguards and all the people there.

Maybe there is some "backcountry" pond that isn't posted for no swimming and is deep enough so

wading isn't necessary.

I've been trying to come up with a place for a legal underwater cache, or at least one that doesn't have swimming prohibited signs. Sheppards Pond in Ringwood SP and Round Valley Reservoir are ones I was considering, but I'm not sure how to go about it with the lifeguards and all the people there.

Maybe there is some "backcountry" pond that isn't posted for no swimming and is deep enough so

wading isn't necessary.

You sick puppy, putting them on top of mountains isn't enough for you... :(

The ones I did weren't very deep...two were only in about 4-5 foot deep water, one of which my boyfriend spotted from his kayak, but I think the water level was down, a third, also in four to five foot water was actually sitting on the bottom of the lake in a bag weighted with rocks - that was pretty hard to find even at that depth because if you stepped on the ground it stirred up debris and you couldn't see anything.

The last one I did was in eight feet of water, and was somewhat more difficult to retrieve and even harder to replace. Some people brought a replacement floater to attach to the anchor and mark the spot. I didn't, and trying to refind the anchor on the bottom of the lake at that depth was harder than I had expected :huh:

Oh, one place that comes to mind is Crater Lake, off of Old Mine Road up by the A.T. I have no idea if you are actually allowed to swim there, but everybody does and there also aren't any lifeguards. The only problem would be keeping it away from the muggles. The opposite side of the lake from the parking area might be good, but I don't know how deep it is and you would have to either paddle across or climb down the somewhat steep slope from the A.T. Hmmm....

I'm pretty sure you ARE allowed to swim there, although I'm not sure why. This might be in the national rec. area though.

Edited by trowel32

I just got myself a kayak, and my first aqua was the Island Hopper Multi, which was a total blast. Closer to school, though, is Ramapo Lake, which I'd like to adventure to soon. As far as I've been able to find, parking is permitted in the first lot on Skyline Drive and you can carry in a non-powered boat along the Blue Trail and paddle around. Is this right? And is access permitted on the large island in the center? If so, expect a cache there in the near future. :)