magellan crossover gps

Jayman1

Ok, bought a magellan xover gps.

DOES IT DO GEOCACHING?? I can enter waypoints via coordinates... but no program has the crossover listed in it to be able to download into the gps. (eg. EASYGPS, GEOBUDDY)

Also is there any geocaches in northern alberta specifically Grande Prairie and Grande Cache??

WHere can I find geocaches in these areas??

DOES IT DO GEOCACHING?? I can enter waypoints via coordinates... but no program has the crossover listed in it to be able to download into the gps. (eg. EASYGPS, GEOBUDDY)

Also is there any geocaches in northern alberta specifically Grande Prairie and Grande Cache??

Yes you can find caches with it. It comes with a POI File Editor that with convert gpx files to POI files. Then you load them onto your sd card (out of the gps). You are limited to the number of caches in each file. I'm not sure what the limit is, maybe about 500. Go into outdoor mode (topo map) and activate one of your cache files. On the street route side you can load lots more caches into internal memory using Magellan Tools. I don't know the limit there. I have over 1500 caches loaded right now in one file. But I use that for routing to the caches then I use my Explorist to find the cache. The one thing I don't like about the Crossover for caching is that when you get close to your cache or goto the unit will let you know your at your destination then quit searching.

Edited by Warriorrider

Yes you can find caches with it. It comes with a POI File Editor that with convert gpx files to POI files. Then you load them onto your sd card (out of the gps). You are limited to the number of caches in each file. I'm not sure what the limit is, maybe about 500. Go into outdoor mode (topo map) and activate one of your cache files. On the street route side you can load lots more caches into internal memory using Magellan Tools. I don't know the limit there. I have over 1500 caches loaded right now in one file. But I use that for routing to the caches then I use my Explorist to find the cache. The one thing I don't like about the Crossover for caching is that when you get close to your cache or goto the unit will let you know your at your destination then quit searching.

This is my first post hope it goes right.

I too have purchased a crossover. After having my map330 gps which still works great I thought I would upgrade. The crossover does the job (better than my car navigation system) but cannot bulk load waypoint on the hiking portion. Talk to magellan and tech support was clueless. You mention loading one of my cache file but I find no place to do that only one waypoit at a time. There is a new software coming out called VantagePoint from magellan, maybe this is the fix.

Edited by Survey Bob & The Princess

This is my first post hope it goes right.

I too have purchased a crossover. After having my map330 gps which still works great I thought I would upgrade. The crossover does the job (better than my car navigation system) but cannot bulk load waypoint on the hiking portion. Talk to magellan and tech support was clueless. You mention loading one of my cache file but I find no place to do that only one waypoit at a time. There is a new software coming out called VantagePoint from magellan, maybe this is the fix.

You can load files in upt format in bulk. I'm not sure of the limit but I have several files loaded with 300 caches each. You just have to load the files onto your sd while out of the unit. Once the card is loaded into the GPS you can activate the file you want. You have to choose import files from the options then pick the file you want to be active in the outdoor mode.

I just got this unit about 1 week ago. I have been able to sucessfully find caches with it.

First off you can use the GSAK to load to your SD card. Make sure the file name is in all CAPS. Then you can load it. Make sure you also load to firmware 2.14. This seems to help.

The only junk part is that you will have to reload previous destination alot as the unit stops tracking when you are near your destination.

Other than that i really like the unit. I just hope they fix the destination in a future release.