What did we find?

tightcoyote

These U.S. Engineers Department disks were probably meant to be bench mark disks (since they come stamped "ELEV"), but you found them being used as cadastral marks. Cadastral surveying is not the same as geodetic surveying and the purpose of cadastral surveying is to demarcate boundaries. The arms (like clock hands) indicate the general angle of the property border at the cadastral mark.

As BDT noted, you found a property marker--specifically a corner. This marker happens to be set at the SW corner of the NW quarter of the SE quarter of the NE quarter of the NW quarter of Section 24, Township 7 South, Range 6 East.

You could pinpoint on a map where you were by reading the description backwards and narrowing down your location, starting by finding the correct township & range in whatever state you were in. Does this look like the area? It's amazing what you can find on the internet.

Here are links to a couple of decent explanations of the township and range system:

http://www.outfitters.com/genealogy/land/twprangemap.html

http://www.lib.washington.edu/maps/township2.htm

Thank you both for your replies! Andylphoto, that is indeed the area we were in. Our house is in McBride. I admit you kind of blew my brain how you figured that out. Thanks again, this geocaching stuff is awesome!

LOL It took a tiny bit of guesswork, but your profile says you're from OK, so I started with the assumption that the marker you found was there, and googled something like "Township Range Oklahoma" and came up with this site.

From there, I just narrowed it down, based on the township and range listed on the marker you found. Went first to the link for Southeast OK (under the "Indian Meridian" heading,) then found the map for T7S R6E under the Marshall County link. When I saw the "Tex" on the edge of the map (the full "Texoma" is on the map for T7S R7E) that confirmed I had guessed correctly. ;)