Visiting Utah

Crpnter1

Hi,

I will be staying near Zion for 2 weeks this September and of course, I'll be caching as well!

I'm from New England and am wondering if there are any precautions that I may need to take while out there. For example, I won't think twice about fishing around under a rock in my area, but if I do that there will I get stung by a scorpion? Struck by a poisonous snake?

I guess I am wondering what wildlife I may want to look out for while in/near Zion, or any other info that may be helpful to me. Any tips would be appreciated!

We're out West now--We'll be in Utah this weekend.

Carry water--lots of water. Take extra batteries for your GPS. As you suggested, be careful reaching under things. Trails aren't always as pronounced asthey are in the East, so it's easier to get turned around. And water--did I mention water? Seriously, carry as much as you can. Stuff your day pack--you won't regret it.

Edited by imajeep

Hi,

I will be staying near Zion for 2 weeks this September and of course, I'll be caching as well!

I'm from New England and am wondering if there are any precautions that I may need to take while out there. For example, I won't think twice about fishing around under a rock in my area, but if I do that there will I get stung by a scorpion? Struck by a poisonous snake?

I guess I am wondering what wildlife I may want to look out for while in/near Zion, or any other info that may be helpful to me. Any tips would be appreciated!

We were in Moab for a week in May and about the only wildlife we seen were lizards, maybe it was too early in the season for snakes. Like some of the other guys said, I don't stick my hands anywhere I can't see what's in there. I either poke around with a stick or use a mag light to check it out first.

If you haven't been to Zion before, you will be absolutely awestruck by the scenery. If you get a chance, visit the less-visited north section of Zion that is accessed off the I-15. There are some incredible things to see up there away from the crowds of the main canyon.

I highly recommend having a walking stick. They are good to have for walking, but also good for poking into holes. I also use mine in a sweeping motion ahead of me when walking through a brushy area where a snake might be resting. I have a Leki that also serves as a monopod for my camera, but you can get a hiking stick for ten bucks at Wal-Mart.

Although this snake was seen in the California desert (Sunday), you get the idea how well-cammoed they can be.

5f2538be-7762-44bf-bef8-a44c472b90ce.jpg

You're going to have a wonderful time. Utah has some amazing natural wonders. The advice above is good. Use caution when you're in snake and scorpion habitat and be wary of dehydration. It's still going to be hot and dry in September.

Practice principles of Leave No Trace and be especially mindful of cryptobiotic soil when you're tromping around.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_nati...ut/cry_arch.htm

Also, I hope aren't spending the entire two weeks in one place. Zion is great but so is Arches NP, Moab, Bryce Canyon and the mountain passes and valleys on I-70.

Edited by TopangaHiker

You're going to have a wonderful time. Utah has some amazing natural wonders. The advice above is good. Use caution when you're in snake and scorpion habitat and be wary of dehydration. It's still going to be hot and dry in September.

Practice principles of Leave No Trace and be especially mindful of cryptobiotic soil when you're tromping around.

Also, I hope aren't spending the entire two weeks in one place. Zion is great but so is Arches NP, Moab, Bryce Canyon and the mountain passes and valleys on I-70.

Thank you all for your responses, I am looking forward to my trip!! As TopangaHiker mentioned, we are definitely visiting Bryce, Arches and hopefully the Grand Canyon. I'd love to attend an event out there but they all seem so far from where we are staying.

Thank you all for your responses, I am looking forward to my trip!! As TopangaHiker mentioned, we are definitely visiting Bryce, Arches and hopefully the Grand Canyon. I'd love to attend an event out there but they all seem so far from where we are staying.

Hey, I just checked out your gallery and since you look like a normal, fun loving human being I'd like to give you another travel tip. If you get to Arches NP you will undoubtedly be in Moab. Do you like brewpubs? The Moab Brewery brews first rate beer and the food is great too. They hand out wooden nickels that are good for discounts in their over priced gift shop. Anyway, the wooden nickels make great souvenirs and even better trade items for when you're caching. If you ask they'll give you a handful of them to take with you. Are you going with BerkshireHiker?

Arches is awesome!

MOAB214.jpg

Hey, I just checked out your gallery and since you look like a normal, fun loving human being I'd like to give you another travel tip. If you get to Arches NP you will undoubtedly be in Moab. Do you like brewpubs? The Moab Brewery brews first rate beer and the food is great too. They hand out wooden nickels that are good for discounts in their over priced gift shop. Anyway, the wooden nickels make great souvenirs and even better trade items for when you're caching. If you ask they'll give you a handful of them to take with you. Are you going with BerkshireHiker?

Arches is awesome!

MOAB214.jpg

Great recommendations on visiting Delicate Arch and the brewery! One of my favorite overlooks is called Deadhorse Point. It doesn't take very long at all to get to it and the view is awesome! Have fun! ;) Edited by TrailGators

If you decide to make a trip to the Moab area make sure you take the drive on hwy 128. It runs from I-70 to the Moab area and there is also a loop you can make off 128 that takes you through, I think it was called Castle Vally. Then on the I-70 end of 128 it puts you right by the ghost town of Cisco. The hwy 128 drive was one of the most scenic drives we have ever made.

Crpnter1 don't worry about the critters. Just use a little caution and look before you put hands into a hole or crevice.

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon offers some fantastic views and well as the opportunity to see Deer, Turkey, Eagles, Condors, Possibly Elk, Kaibab Squirrels (only known location for them), and a host of smaller critters like rabbits and chipmunks.

We have a number of caches in the area that take you to some seldom visited natural geologic features such as, DEEP Sinkholes, areas of Petrified Wood (legal to collect some at the cache site), Arches, Balanced Rocks, etc.

We know of one cache on the edge (About 100' back from the edge.) of a 1000' sheer cliff face over looking the Hurricane Valley below.

Try not to visit too many places at one time. Remember that driving from Zion to the Grand Canyon will take several hours one way. Things look close on a map and may lead one to believe it is a good idea to try and visit everything in a short 2 week vacation. Check the mileage to each location from your base point and see exactly how far it is and how long it will take for the round trip driving, not including any of the sightseeing along the way or food/fuel stops and then there is the time to do the caching also!

Have fun,

John

PS: Most of the Nat'l Parks are over-rated when compared with many of the cache locations and other natural resources. They're fine for the folks that have trouble deciding where to go and what to see, or for folks that can't make up their own minds on what is awe inspiring. John