"Homeless" geocoins

StarryEyeGuy

Today I swapped a newly-minted TB of mine for a nice geocoin. When I got home to log the find, I discovered that somebody had scratched out the tracking number!! :anicute:

Why would somebody want to do this, and what should I do with this "Kilted Cacher" coin?

TTFN

Obviously this coin has been damaged and defaced. Its value has dropped considerably in your eyes.

I would be glad to take it off your hands. You could mail it to me.

Does it have a minting number (I'm not sure if that's the name, but it's what number the coin is - ie - #1, #2, #3)? I don't think Kilted Cacher coins have that, though. :)

In that case, unless someone logs it on the cache page as having dropped it, there's really no way to tell which coin it is, so I guess you could just keep it. You could put it in another cache, but it may confuse someone else unless you put it in a bag with a descriptive note. But you could also put a TB on it and make it trackable that way. Lots of choices.

Today I swapped a newly-minted TB of mine for a nice geocoin. When I got home to log the find, I discovered that somebody had scratched out the tracking number!! :)

Why would somebody want to do this, and what should I do with this "Kilted Cacher" coin?

TTFN

He is a local cacher here who is currently serving in Iraq, I would guess there was some duplicates

Kilted Cacher , if I believe is correct, had some bad coins with incorrect tracking numbers and released and traded and maybe even sold a few with tracking numbers scratched off back in 2005. These coins in my opinion should have been scrapped so issues like this confusion from happening. I think the same thing has happened with some other coins also. Anyone else remember this?

I do remember something about that coin and I found this with a quick search.....

Ok, seems like quite a bit of interest. I have received several emails as well. To cover packing and shipping and such, let's say $12 for the trackable coins and $5 for the non-trackable. If you have already sent an email, just send another one saying if you want one or not. Payment info will be sent once emails arrive. Only 24 trackable coins available then they are all gone, and several non-trackable available.

As a note, the non-trackable are identical to the trackable, but the codes were messed up by the coin manufacturer and they re-made the coins for me and said that I could keep the ones that were messed up. So I removed the erroneous codes from the bad batch of coins with my Dremel.

Edited by Team Shydog

I bought a kilted cacher that had the number scrated off from kilted cacher Depending on the log for the cache it could be swag ? Its a nice coin. Hope this helps.

I had a mintng issue wuth my Dreamcatcher and ended up with 900 that just had tracking numbers but no text "trackable at geocaching.com" The mint remade the coins with the text and the same tracking numbers. I use the first batch as swag and scrach the tracking number off. I usually don't put a note to such but might in the future.

Today I swapped a newly-minted TB of mine for a nice geocoin. When I got home to log the find, I discovered that somebody had scratched out the tracking number!! :)

TTFN

I dropped that Kilted Cacher coin that you picked up. It's trade swag, not a traveler. When Greg originally made his geocoins, some of them had incorrect tracking numbers on them. The bad numbers were scratched out, and they were given away as gifts. Besides, who trades for travelers? :D They are traveling items, and should be picked up regardless of having one to leave.

Sorry for the confusion, I guess you should drop it back into a cache :)

TMA

I dropped that Kilted Cacher coin that you picked up. It's trade swag, not a traveler. When Greg originally made his geocoins, some of them had incorrect tracking numbers on them. The bad numbers were scratched out, and they were given away as gifts. Besides, who trades for travelers? :) They are traveling items, and should be picked up regardless of having one to leave.

Sorry for the confusion, I guess you should drop it back into a cache :)

TMA

Thanks, TMA! I checked out your trackable profile and figured that you must have put it in the cache. I'll use it as an FTF prize for the next cache I'm planning.

I guess I never realized how collectible these things are! I've moved several of them along, but have never officially "owned" one... :D

Thanks for clearing this up so quickly!

TTFN,

Glad you got the answer you needed :D Some people don't log when they drop "swag" geocoins, so others don't come behind and sweep them up. I was leaving non-trackable Kilted Cacher coins all weekend, along with lots of pathtags and other geocoin style items. I wasn't so much worried about anyone from your area, but it's just habit for me to not mention it in my log :D

Kilted Cacher , if I believe is correct, had some bad coins with incorrect tracking numbers and released and traded and maybe even sold a few with tracking numbers scratched off back in 2005. These coins in my opinion should have been scrapped so issues like this confusion from happening. I think the same thing has happened with some other coins also. Anyone else remember this?

That's what I recall.

He asked what he should do with them. Most said "release them!" and so he did.

As has been said. It's now swag.