What in-car satnav can I use to cache?

VicHager

I have a Nuvi 200 and it can accept coordinates. If you download POI Loader from Garmin (it's free) you can use it to import a .loc file (from GSAK) and load up your coordinates. There are some drawbacks, it lists the caches by GC#, but you can push them and then it'll give their name. (Or just use GC # - like I do.)

There are some good topics on how to use POI Loader and those are what I used to figure the process out.

The 200 is considerably cheaper than the higher end models and it suffices for me. The only drawback is that it does not SPEAK the name of the street, but the street name does show up on the screen. It does give verbal instructions, i.e. "In point two miles turn left", "Turn left now".

Yes, the Nuvi can actually be taken out of the car (it has an internal battery), but I really wouldn't recommend it to be used outdoors. It's not waterproof and I don't think it's touch screen would take much abuse out in the wild. But it is great in the car!

I think they usually run about $250, but I'm sure with some savvy shopping you could find it cheaper.

In my opinion, if you don't want to spend much, then a combination like a Nüvi 200 and a Geko 201 is better than trying to use the in-car unit in the bushes.

I normally use the Zumo 550 for directions to the nearest parking place, then continue with the GPSmap 60 CSx to the cache. But that's not the cheapest combination on earth.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to use the in-car satnav to actually find a cache, but I would like to have an alarm when one is in range, then I can get my iFinder Go2 out and use that on foot.

Vic

I haven't used all of the available in-car units, but the only one I know of that will allow downloading of waypoints from GSAK (or gpsbabel) and do proximity alarms is TomTom. I generally have over 9000 geocache waypoints loaded into my TomTom and it's nice to set the proximity alarm to 0.5 miles for when you are driving around town. I also put my caches that need maintenance in a different POI category and have a different alarm sound for those.

--Marky

Would someone mind spelling out the procedure for coordinating both a handheld and car-unit with GCs?

If, for example, you have a Garmin 60 CSx and a Garmin Nuvi 610, is this right?:

Fill up the 60CSx with your usual favourite software, like Mapsource, with GCs

Save the file used for filling up as a .loc file

Use POIloader to load the .loc file up to the car-unit.

Is there a simpler way, e.g., using memory cards or something, rather than having separate bits of software?

Thanks for any ideas.

Oh, I hope I can describe this right. (It'd be a heck of a lot easier to show you, but I'll try!)

I use GSAK, Cachemate, and POI Loader all running on Windows XP. (POI loader is a free download from Garmin.)

I have GSAK set up in databases. I have a default list of those caches around my home area. (The ones I am always 'working on'.) I set up other databases for any regions I may be traveling to.

So, let's pretend that I'm getting ready to head out to an event (which I am btw). I'll run a PQ for caches near the event (or on the way - whatever). I'll make a separate database for that in GSAK. For the sake of argument, let's call that database "Event".

I'll toss the PQ into my newly created "Event" database in GSAK (assuming you know how to do that already). I always go through those listings after GSAK has imported it. I'll weed out any that I don't think I really want. (For whatever reason, maybe it's a multi and I know I won't have time. Maybe it's a puzzle and I don't think I'll get it solved before I leave.) I don't want to junk up my GPSr and Palm with Caches that I may, inadvertently, try to find that aren't really at the coordinates posted.

If my newly created "Event" database is more than 50 caches (common), I'll end up having to make more event folders because the Nuvi can only hold 50 waypoints per database (including child waypoints). It's so easy to have multiple databases in GSAK. (Easy to add, easy to remove.) So, let's pretend that the PQ has 90 cache listings in it.

I'll make two databases in GSAK and Call them Event1 and Event2. (It sounds a little Dr. Suessish, doesn't it?) I sort the original Event database by distance. (You can do it alphabetically - your preference.) I go through and 'user check' the first 45 cache listings. Filter the list by "User Checked" so only those 45 show up. Copy those waypoints into Default1. Go back to original Event database. Uncheck those first 45 and check the bottom 45. Rinse and repeat except copy them into Event2.

I have a folder created in "My Documents called" (and this is original) "Nuvi". I export Default1 & Default2 as a gpx/loc file (again, using GSAK) and have it saved into that Nuvi folder.

Open POI Loader. You're given the option of installing those waypoints on the Nuvi itself or the SD card. I always use the card because I read on the forums that if you put them on the Nuvi itself, it's a pain to get them back off. (They have to be deleted one by one.) You can delete them in mass if they're on the card. As you're following the POI Loader instructions, it will have you find the folder where that exported gpx/loc file is sitting. I click my Nuvi folder and POI Loader loads them on the Nuvi for me. (Now this part is a bit dated, imo, it sort of reminds me of windows 3.1 when opening folders and such.) You won't see your actual file under a folder (like the newer versions of windows). But, if you've put the file in there, it WILL load just fine.

Okay, the Nuvi is loaded!

Loading the 60CSX is a much simpler animal! I just send over the original Event database to the 60CSX.

Okay, the 60CSX and the Nuvi are all ready to go.

I go into my Palm and make a database under cachemate called...you guessed it...Event. (Trust me on this, it's easier to have that database BEFORE I try to import that file!)

I go back to GSAK and back to the original Event database. Use the Export to Cachemate option. Sync the Palm. After syncing is done, I open cachemate. As soon as I open Cachemate, it will be asking me what to do with the "Event" database it just imported. I just select "Event" from the drop down list (because I had already made it.) Now all my caches near the event are patiently sitting on the Palm.

I know this sounds like a lot. You don't have to have multiple databases, but I'm anal like that. I hate to be scrolling through 500 waypoints trying to find something. It's easier for me to sort them. (But that's just me.)

Now, I'm ready to go!

Again, I know it sounds like a lot, but I can get all of this done in about 20 minutes. Maybe even less. The first time, it took longer, but you get accustomed to it.

Afterwards, I can back to GSAK and delete databases Event1 & Event2. They were only made for the purpose of loading the Nuvi. After the Event, when I've logged my finds into GSAK, I move the found caches over to my (you guessed it) "Found" database. And then, I'll probably delete the Event database. The next time I'm in that area, I'd probably want a new PQ anyway with new information.

I hope, hope, hope this makes sense!

Do any of the car nav systems let you manually enter waypoints using coordinates?

Cacheola Crew Mom

Yes, a Nuvi allows you to input coordinates. You select "Where to" and one of the options is coordinates. It will have automatically filled in your present coordinates, but you just use the back arrow to erase and press the numbers. Yes, it's even set up like a KEYPAD on the screen. Very nice!

Yes, a Nuvi allows you to input coordinates. You select "Where to" and one of the options is coordinates. It will have automatically filled in your present coordinates, but you just use the back arrow to erase and press the numbers. Yes, it's even set up like a KEYPAD on the screen. Very nice!

Thanks Jenischemeni.

Anyone with the TomTom know if the POI's for the Tom Tom show the address and phone number of the location? I've been reading many reviews but there is conflicting info out there. I'm thinking maybe that is because some of the reviews are old and maybe this was an update?

Cacheola Crew Mom