Advice Needed

Rubarbb

After lots of ums and ahs I have finally bought a PDA, gone for the Palm Tungsten E2. What do I need to do now? Whats the best software for the PDA and syncing between my PC and PDA?

It should have come with some software on CD - failing that, I believe the Palm website allows you to download the basic synchronization software...

I assume that you will be using it for caching, effectively as an offline database of caches? In which case, I use cachemate, which works well on the palm (missing some of the funtionality of the PPC version). Combined with GSAK, which can export to Cachemate (see one of the export options), it works very well! Basically, once you've got the relevent sync software in place, GSAK will export a file of whatever caches you want, and then load up you Palm sync software without you doing anything!

Once thats all working smoothly, you can use cachemate to mark your finds and then load them BACK into GSAK - but that might be for another day!

I use CacheMate on my Palm M515 and find it very easy & quick to use. You can have multiple databases with as many waypoints as the memory will allow.

I use GSAK to load it as it does a nice job of personalising the data to suit my way of thinking (amending waypoint names/codes). It will also feed the file directly to HotSync ready for the Palm next time you connect.

The database itself allows you to add information as you go (just tap where you want to add/amend and type what you want) This is very useful on Multis or on a long day/holiday when you need to keep note of TB movements. I also always note the TB code straight on the cache I pick it up from so I should never miss the code when I drop it again.

Another tip is that you can categorise each cache. I always add a new category 'ToDo' which I move all the caches for the day to. Then once i've done them I change them to the 'Found' category and amend the name of the cache to #01 - This Cache, #02 - That cache so I can log them in the correct order when I get home.

There are many other things it can do (Searching for nearest from coords etc) but I don't use them often.

Blimey Bambography, that whole post should be in the top tips thread. :anicute:

I've been using cachemate for some months now and I never realised you could just tap and write notes as needed within cachemate. That will make my life so much more simpler. I've been using the palm memo pad and it's a major pain to go out of cachemate into that and then back to cachemate again. Particularly as I run cachemate from the sd card for greater memory capacity. That's a superb tip, and one I'm sure I'll take advantage of.

Thanks.

Blimey Bambography, that whole post should be in the top tips thread. :anicute:

I've been using cachemate for some months now and I never realised you could just tap and write notes as needed within cachemate. That will make my life so much more simpler. I've been using the palm memo pad and it's a major pain to go out of cachemate into that and then back to cachemate again. Particularly as I run cachemate from the sd card for greater memory capacity. That's a superb tip, and one I'm sure I'll take advantage of.

Thanks.

Then when you've written your logs in Cachmate you can then export them to Memo Pad where they end up on the PC at the next Hot Sync. Great stuff :blink:

And when using cachemate, if you stamp the time when you click the Found box, then when you export them out, they are in time sequence (well they are on my computer!) so I know which I order I found the caches.

Easy pips!

(Edited to include important words like in, of and they because in my excitement typing, I didn't put them in first time round!)

Edited by scottpa100