Jump to content

caching in Cathedral


Followers 2

Recommended Posts

We are going camping at Cathedral peak this weekend if anybody is interested i know it's short notice but if you can make it please feel free to come and join us. So far its ourselves, Rhino and Hedgehog and Wazzat. I need to maintain my two caches there and Rhino has a cache up his sleeve to place. We will be leaving for the summit of the peak at sun up which is about 06:05.

The more the merrier

Link to comment

Let me at em at least before they get removed geez.....

 

See you Friday night. Must let me know where we are staying. Don't know If I should call you as it is late. Completely forgot to call you back earlier, sorry bud, was really busy.

Edited by Wazat
Link to comment

Groan................. Ohhh Ahhhhh, Einaaaaaaa. But frigging hell it was worth it. Thanks for the weekend guys. Finally get to do a cache that I cannot park my Corsa Lite 4x4 nearby. 10 Grueling hours of playing catch up with Bats and Rhino. Sorry guys I realized that I am not fit enough for these kind of hikes. Believe me the first kilo had me wanting to turn round but I am glad I set my mind on the goal. Almost a 20 kilo round trip to find a new cache that was placed mere minutes before I reached the top. Thanks Rhino my first 5 Star cache, first mountain summit. Killer view bud. Loved it. Caution this one is definitely not for the faint hearted. We had to help a very nervous lady up a rock with a sheer drop right behind us.

Link to comment

Well what a fantastic hike it was enjoyed with two other fantastic people on a long 10 hour return hike that took us to the foot of the peak but sadly i did not make it to the top so waited for them to return from there epic.

The climb is not for the faint hearted it is one serious climb but really rewarding. So thanks for making this journey with me it made it that much better.

Link to comment

That's the spirit. Glad to see that the mountain is calling. I would love to go up again but right now is probably not going to be the best time. The weather up there is probably not going to play with. I have seen it, or rather not seen it the last few days. The clouds were thick round the little berg nevermind the mountain. The gullies could be really hard to get up in the rain. I suggest that you guys really look at what the weather could be like before endangering yourselves. This one certainly ain't Amajuba. What dates are you looking at?

Link to comment

The best times probably will be during the beginning of Autumn round April/May and then again in Spring August/September. The problem with these berg trips is that the weather can and most likely will change in a matter of minutes. It can be hot and sunny and half hour later you are in a snow storm. So you need to be well prepared for anything. Grab a warm jacket, lots of water, a hat, charge that cellphone and take some energy bars, a few oranges and some good company with. You gonna need it for sure. You can count me in for the return trip. I think I forgot to leave my calling card in the cache on top of Cathedral.

Link to comment

No really I can't recall if I left my calling card there. Come to think of it I didn't leave one in Second Prize either. Probably wont fit. Will try it though. If it doesn't fit I guess I will have to return again, with a smaller one.

 

Note to self: Take small ruler with to measure size of second prize cache container should my standard calling card not fit. Also pack small portable printer and laptop should the need arise to print out new calling card. Also take along laminator to laminate new calling card and guillotine to cut new card to size. Don't forget paper and laminate. Also due to battery life on laptop been suspect, take long extension lead, around 9km long to supply power on the mountain to run laptop.

 

Right bring on the mountain........ Eish!!!

Link to comment
Also due to battery life on laptop been suspect, take long extension lead, around 9km long to supply power on the mountain to run laptop.

 

I don't think it is possible to get hold of a 9km long extension lead - it will be far more practical to take a generator up the mountain with you. A 1.5KVA unit should do it...

 

Mmmm true... Is is a diesel driven one? OK now you make it difficult. Guess I have to carry some diesel up there too. OK but you can maybe roll the barrel through the tough sections for me then.... Somewhere between the first river and the spot for lunch. I'll help you get it back down.... :laughing:

Link to comment

Uh my tent poles are made of carbon fiber. Will that conduct electricity. Nope I have another plan. Will take a few little windmills up there and when everyone gets to the top have them put their mouths by the windmill. All the huffing and puffing should be enough to turn the windmills, these can then be connected up to generate electricity. At least that will be environmentally friendly. Will get some of Neville Bailey's fake rocks as a cache container so it looks right and will harm no animals in this mission. Bwhaaa haaa haaa.

Link to comment

Well now that the new year is on us and slowly gathering speed - one needs to look forward and plan some of those far out caches that require a weekend away....

 

What we are thinking is this...

 

What about a weekend with an event cache at the Cathedral Peak Campsite on the Sunday for Brunch. That way if you are up for one of the biggies in the area like Mitre and Twins Cave you can sleep out in Twins cave Saturday night - but if you want to just go for the easyier ones in the area then you are also free to do that.

 

It all really depends on who is up for what when.

 

Post your thoughts if you are up for it and we can start the plans a rolling.

Link to comment

You know I can be counted in on that one. March/April sounds good. Any later and we start getting too cold. I guess it would become a day hike for the big caches? Or are we going to hit the cave for the night? There are 4 we can do for now, 7 for the rest. But it will then have to be a two day thing. Unless we have someone willing to drive Mikes Pass and give us all a lift. Then again. To be fair we might still have to make it 2 days for maintenance purposes and dropping one or two.

Link to comment

Well now that the new year is on us and slowly gathering speed - one needs to look forward and plan some of those far out caches that require a weekend away....

 

What we are thinking is this...

 

What about a weekend with an event cache at the Cathedral Peak Campsite on the Sunday for Brunch. That way if you are up for one of the biggies in the area like Mitre and Twins Cave you can sleep out in Twins cave Saturday night - but if you want to just go for the easyier ones in the area then you are also free to do that.

 

It all really depends on who is up for what when.

 

Post your thoughts if you are up for it and we can start the plans a rolling.

 

We are also keen, but rather earlier that later since later might be more difficult for Sunet and the "very young Geocacher" in "training" :huh::D . Sleeping over in the cave might be out for us.?

Link to comment

Ysbeer, would be great if you can join us but a word of caution. these are serious hikes that we will be attempting. Don't know if you want to take young children up. We are talking of high altitude hikes that will take you up to around 3000m above sea level. With sheer drops and dizzying heights to contend with. There are however shorter day hikes that can be done with a cache or two to find. I think that Rhino has already got a cache or two made up for placement. Who knows, maybe it will be a easy hike to it. Then again, maybe not.

Link to comment

Ysbeer, would be great if you can join us but a word of caution. these are serious hikes that we will be attempting. Don't know if you want to take young children up. We are talking of high altitude hikes that will take you up to around 3000m above sea level. With sheer drops and dizzying heights to contend with. There are however shorter day hikes that can be done with a cache or two to find. I think that Rhino has already got a cache or two made up for placement. Who knows, maybe it will be a easy hike to it. Then again, maybe not.

 

Hi Wazat. You misunderstood me a little there, my wife is now only 17 weeks pregnant. That's why we would prefer it earlier than later. She's not that happy with my idea to open a geocaching account for the unborn yet... wonder why...??? :ph34r:

Link to comment

Ok the year started with a bang. Cant even get time to look at the forum. We will be there if you plan it aroun the holidays. My wife is a techer so we are bound to that. Will help you with planning if you need help and will help in driving you up mikes pass if you need to. I know that aria of the berg well so would love to help.

Link to comment

First off, congratulations to Mr and Mrs Ysbeer on their future bundle of furriness. I know what it is like with kids in the berg. But with pregnant wives it is a lot different. I dragged mine into a hike that really took forever to do. So we understand. Now the time for the event is all up to Rhino. April is probably the preferred time weather wise as March we still have a lot of rain. Also accommodating other people is also to be looked at. So ya..... we will have to see.

Link to comment

[quote

 

Hi Wazat. You misunderstood me a little there, my wife is now only 17 weeks pregnant. That's why we would prefer it earlier than later. She's not that happy with my idea to open a geocaching account for the unborn yet... wonder why...??? :(

 

and whats wrong with openng an account so soon i thought she was more into caching than you were, and by the way dont think we passed on our congrats to you guys on getting pregnant

Link to comment

Oh no.... Well we are planning for the 12th of April so hopefully there is no more problems by that time. Otherwise I will have a great excuse not to go back to work if I am up on the mountain and war breaks out. It is quite a bad one if you have a place booked there this weekend though.... Eish!

Link to comment

OK so what do we do - 12 April 2008 looks good for a few now we have local issues - if we can have a quick sho of hands if people are still keen and we have 5 cachers (teams) present then we will make it an event. So please let us know if your still keen to give it a go - or rain check till September...

 

the weekend of the 12th is out for us - i'm working that weekend... eish sorry he...

Link to comment

OK so what do we do - 12 April 2008 looks good for a few now we have local issues - if we can have a quick sho of hands if people are still keen and we have 5 cachers (teams) present then we will make it an event. So please let us know if your still keen to give it a go - or rain check till September...

 

the weekend of the 12th is out for us - i'm working that weekend... eish sorry ne...

Edited by Ysbeer
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 2
×
×
  • Create New...