Altruism Vs. Egoism Contest.

dorkfish

I would have to nominate Fluttershy and UOtrackers due to thier great generosity when I first started in these forums. They really made me (and I am sure others) feel welcome! Thanks Ladies!

The next would be Tsun and BrokenW. They are truly giving people! When someone is down they are there to help in anyway they can. Thanks!

I will add more later as I think of what to say!

I'm having such a fun time reading through here. It is so great to know that there are selfless people out there doing wonderful acts of kindness :D Sometimes we encounter people who appear to do "good deeds" but in actuality it was just for personal gain. Reading through this thread makes me believe that there are truly more kindhearted people in the world that we sometimes think.

I just got an email from someone demonstrating altruism. They have offered to donate some additional coins to be randomly given away to these deserving people, some pretty darn neat coins too. They have asked to remain anonymous so they shall :D Thank you so much, you know how you are!!!!!

Ok for some more nominations:

Summerandnana - you are such a truly kind and generous person. I really love the handmade dorkfish fishies & bowl that you made me. Everytime I look at them I feel so happy.

Damenace - you have been such a wonderful friend. I love the Harry Potter coin you sent me just because. That was so sweet! Thanks for all your great help with our Idaho event too.

007BigD - I think if altruism had a picture next to it's definition, it would be yours. You have gone above & beyond for so many people. You have the biggest heart in the world!

Tsun - you give me such great advice & are always pointing me in the right direction. your designs are so beautiful and you make this hobby so much fun by all of your giveaways. I look forward to when we get to meet in person, I can already tell you exude goodness :D

Shop99er - Debbie is just the most wonderful person. I love your personality. Thank you for all the help you've given me over the last couple of months. :D

CachingCoins - Sandy, you are such a sweet person. You believed in me at a time when I felt like nobody else did. I feel like I am a better person because of you and the impact you've had on my life.

Lots more folks to name. I was thinking of shortening this contest, but I think I will keep it at a month. It gives me, and hopefully others, more time to acknowledge those who are so deserving and mean so much to us. Thanks everyone :D

I’d like to add to my list of nominations by putting forth the Tank Hounds. Mrs. TH didn’t know us but from emails yet she opened up her home and invited us to stop by when we were in her area (cachers really are good-hearted people!) We got to exchange coins and she was above and beyond generous. I also got to see her awesome pathtag collection and was immediately hooked. Most important though are the hounds. I didn’t realize till we met her that she and her husband rescue the dogs. The dogs you see on their coins have all been saved by them. The kids got to meet and play with all the dogs and see the generosity of others at work. What better lesson for the kids! We were hard pressed to take our leave and say good bye. They are wonderful animals who have been given selfless love and a safe home. Tank Hounds have hearts of gold and they don’t even get to be together due to Mr. TH’s commitment to the army! One day Mr. TH will be set free but for know they live apart and give their hearts to animals that cannot save themselves. ;)

Think I'll post a couple before I hit the hay.

The Amigos~ Peggy you have gone above and beyond what I could have ever have hoped when placing the 'Bear' petroglyph. You researched, you grilled me (lol), and then got everything set up. I know that took you and the family awhile to do. Just wanted to let you know I appreciate all your effort. I'm sure you've gone above and beyond in others ways too :D

PJPeters~ Another silent do-gooder :D Went out of his way to do a little something special for the geocaching community, I won't say what it is but it's really wonderful!

Mousekakat~ I just really love the way you have jumped into the community and started engaging. I know you can't afford a bunch of coins and just because you can't give physical things to the community, doesn't really matter. You give of yourself by encourgaement and cheering on, that's worth alot in my book.

Atlanta Gal~ Someone who gives to the community and goes unrecognized for alot of things. Thanks!

Avroair~ For an English guy, you're pretty funny. Funny lookin' :D You just make me laugh, one of my favorite things to do ;) I'm bringing my "outfit" to GW6 ;)

rivercity~ SO NICE, you're always so stinkin' nice :D Thanks for being 'nice.' If you say nice a few times in a row, it starts to sound funny. Kinda like lice but with an 'n'.

Ok, more to come, I think I can get just about the whole geocoin community in by the end of September :D

Hahaha ~tsun

We would like to nominate Cheesy Pigs (Mrs CP in particular - no offence Mr CP!!!). Why? Because although she is the local geocoin addict and is very attached to her pretty, shiny pieces of metal, she is kind enough to share all her coins with us (allowing us to put grubby fingerprints on them and scatter them across the dinner table!), and gives different cachers ones that she thinks they would particularly like.

Mind you, now that I have just succumbed to ordering my first coins off the web, I am begining to wonder if I really should thank her for starting a possible addiction . . .

Oh, and I should add that the CPs also contribute to the local caching community by acting as responsible citizens (!!) and booking venues, organising events, organising geocoin missions and all those things that people like us think that we should do, but don't quite get around to!!!

OK Heres my chance to go Egotericistical on ya!!! ;) ...Yep thats a word~I just made it!

First off as far as the Altruism vs Egoism...I think they go hand in hand, cause it sure feels good to hear the appreciation of those you have touched, and id say that builds the ego a bit...But for it to be unintentional I guess would make that an altruistic action at the same time. Just feels good to do good onto others is all!...Just wait till im rich!!!

For Nominations...Geeze where do I start???

Team Chelmo- This guy named Mark has gone back and forth with me for literally weeks on end, we got to know each others likes and dislikes, how our jobs are doin and all things that friends talk about, not just that he took the time to be a real friend with all the lenghty emails back and forth. But the NZ carepackage he sent me with all of his local goodies and squaking Kiwis N stuff was a definate awesome gift package that I was surprized to get. Then I got a LE Chelmo, then a Resident Copper Chelmo when I was hit by a thief and he fell for my poor me routine!!! ;) He has made my day shine several times...Thanks Mark..... Oh and he took my Cali coin on an amazing trip through NZ backcountry, pics and all!

GET THIS...Speaking of Altruism...Just this morning I noticed an email from Ebay..."I havent bought anything on ebay" :D ...It was a freakin Payment acceptance notice from Moscow32 sayin it was from "Geocoin friends"!!! After a little 007 investigations I found out there was a cointest..."Community cointest"...(?) where the winners were CoreyandJoey..Well I guess they had ol Moscow ebay the coins and the winnings to go to me!!!...????...It was freakin 50.00!!!! And was to go toward the little geo-Bun in the oven!!!...How cool is that! Whats really Altruistic is that I have never even traded or became friends with them...IT WAS A TOTAL RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS!!! Its still a mystery to me how this came about, but very cool...Very cool indeed! :D

Castleman...Need I say more! This guy is the opitamy of Altruism I tell ya right now!!! Done deal give him the coin! :D ...Oh wait its a drawing...put him down for one ticket from BigD! :D

SummerandNana...For sure by far the best Mission statements around, you should see the coins you get from her in a mission and the hand made goodies are the best! I got an egg and a 4th of july bowl made by her all personalized out to me. Very thoughtfull and cannot go unrecognized here!...And yep- I still owe ya one!

Dorkfish...Your a given, keep a coin for your self for once! :D

More to come!

I Gotta go with Jug and Roon here as well...Team sagefox, although most of you know nothing of this guy, he is Hardcore! I mean he is consistantly keeping the newbies in line and makin sure the caching world is straight wherever he is at! His logs are abundant and informative and he takes the time to help ya out or offer advice for any caching reason possible...He also is excited to be the first to log a Geocoin! He would be thrilled and very deserving if he were to get a coin from nominations of a forum he rarely visits!

Rasj...Big Time!!! This guy here loves to give me coins! ;) OK maybe not, but he did gift me a Silver Sketti when I missed out! Then I get an email from Cornerstone the other day saying that the last 5 Bikedog coins were payed for and he needs my address!....WHAT???...It was Rasj again and he freakin gifted them to me as well!!! Now we cant let good deeds go unthanked now can we???...Thanks Rasj!!!

He also held that Auction for Skye that touched me, really makes ya think about things and what we appreciate in life...so thanks for that as well! Still think of her often.

This is basically a copy of my post in the "nominate a friend" thread" with a few add-ons (yes, I know that is lazy of me, but I am back to work, so I just don't have as much time!)...

TMOCM – for always looking out for me and the girls - making sure that we get way more coins than we need, for your supreme picnic planning skills, and for your generosity (you made a lot of kids happy with those TAKG geotags)

iTrax & Foxtail – Monday is not Monday without a Podcacher fix! The time that you spend to do this is amazing!

Mama Cache – for putting up with all of my questions during the MWGB duckie/frog coin ordering process…and your dedication to help us make it so.

Pghlooking – for those sweet geojellies, local legendary events, puzzles that fry my brain, and making sure that my girls ingest way more sugar than they should...oh, and that awesome geojellies auction

Anthus – for many trades and commiserating with me over our girls’ Poke-talk…I don’t think that we would’ve survived GW5 without you and your girls…Brenda cannot wait to see you guys again!

YemonYime – for our awesome geocoin design, all of those other coins and icons that you designed, plus some wicked cache hides

D@nim@l – for the moonpies, micro-events, trades, and putting up with us as your poker run backseat drivers (lol)

Pengo Family – you have been very generous to my girls too! Chat would not be chat (for me) without you there!

GlennK721 – for the trades, online “talks” and those awesome geocoin pictures

57chevy – for all the cool sig item trades

The Moop Along – for the Poker tourneys

Nielsenc – for being such a nice guy...thanks for all the trades with my girls!

Parents of SAM - for all your hard work with the "chick" pojects

All of the mystery coin folks – for the smiles that you've brought to so many people!

Tsun - you ARE the cointest queen!

3D's & a Pokey - our caching buddies...Pokey is always there for me...whether is is caching-related or not

Avroair - for the Around the World geocoin race...we've had a blast with this

All the mission organizers - Just gotta love those secret missions (Cheesy Pigs, Tank Hounds, Scaw, UOTrackers, Geosmufz, Fluttershy, & Damenace/for the upcoming white elephant). I hope I got everyone

All the geocoin chat folks - Too many folks to list (plus I am afraid that I would leave someone out) So many of you bring a smile to my face in the evening...you guys are ploe-tastic!

Great idea for a cointest - I'll toss in a couple names ...

TSun - I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. I'm just another person she has touched with her kindness.

Minz - a person whom I've only met through the site, but someone who was generous enough to help out this stranger.

WVHunter - a person who does a lot to help caching in our area remain fun and enjoyable.

Tank hounds - Gave me some great ideas for caches in the Colorado area and helped me get one of their coins for a friend of mine who had recently lost one of the bloodhounds.

MouseWiz and Scout Boy- They have done a tremendous amount of work over the past few years to help get geocaching into the scouting program. This has included training at Philmont, the last National Jamboree, and the recent World Jamboree in the UK.

Brawny Bear - I defy anyone to go caching with this guy and not have a great time.

AtlantaGal - I know ... a WVU person shouldn't say good things about a Penn State person ;) , but I have to. She does a lot for the community and it wouldn't the same without her.

I don't know a lot of you people, but I have to say that almost everyone here is a level or two above super! The few people that I've dealt with here have been friendly, helpful, and already seem like old friends. Thank you all!

All my nominations from the forum have already been mentioned, but I don't think you can ever say too much good about people. GlennK721, thanks for your kindness; you didn't have to send that coin, and with my limited collection, I can't repay you (you've got everything I have), but I still owe you one!

Dorkfish (I know, you can't win!), thanks for helping me with my "project." You helped make it special, and brought smiles to more than one person already!

Tsun, your generousity is unparalelled. You've made people happy, helped people who needed it, and you are an all around good person.

I love these threads - they show that there are still many good people out there, willing to help.

. . . continuing the nominations:

PennyPacker: Who is helpoing me get back to Guatemala. You know what I mean and no we ain't there yet but sure trying :D Thanks.

AuntieNae and TheTapps: They go hand in hand. For all the work they do locally to educate the public in general as well as newcomers with geocaching workshops. Good Job! Also congratz on your engagement.

AccordianGal: What a gal indeed. Giving up your seat at MWGB definitely warrants a nomination ;) Thanks. Hope to see you at the WGA picnic.

3BlindEyes: Mal is a great guy! Haven't talked to Ursula that I know of. Thanks for getting things started for me in OZ. I enjoy our talks and emails and wish you weren't on the other side of the planet because it would be a real treat for me to me you both someday.

Previously mentioned and listed in no particular order:

CinemaBoxers

Vegas Gamblers

Woletrap

LB4T

PengoFamily

Momma Cache

SouthBayDay

Avroair

Flutershy: errrr I mean Fluttershy ;)

Sweetlife

BRoKenW

Tsunrisebey

Tadpole

Parents of Sam

Nolefan9399

UOTracker

DresselDragon

57Chevy

Damenace

GPX Navigators

D@nim@l

Dhenninger

Nielsenc

Nero

M10B

Glenn721

You have all touched me in some way. Thanks!

To Be Continued . . . .

I would like to nominate Eartha. I think her posts are always fair and down to earth ;) I get a chuckle out of some of them also like the one about the geocache america vs american cacher coin. I think she has a thankless job and I for one whould like to say thank you! I apologize to Eartha if you are a guy but I have to say that each time I see that name I think of Aretha--must be the Motown in me! LOL

Now just who IS Eartha?

Being a psychology major myself I was hoping to see this discussion spin off from the contest - maybe a new thread will be opened for it?

From the OP:

Basically altruism is giving without regard to reward or the benefits of recognition. It is an unselfish concern for the welfare of others. <snip>

In contrast, egoism is just the opposite. It is the view that people are motivated by rational self-interest. The acts may appear to be altruistic in nature, but an underlying self-interest is undeniable. One's self is at the forefront of being.

Based on what I see here, 95% of the giving in this forum falls under the latter category. Mind you that is not a negative statement and should not be taken as such (although I'm sure some will). Almsot every contest or giveway is heavily promoted by the person who is running it or doing it, thus ensuring that they get the credit for doing something wonderful.

The folks who are doing things as true altruists are doing so without every coming in here to talk about it (for the most part). While some are in here anonymously (GeoCoin Fairy, Santa, etc.) most just go about their business adding extras into trades, leaving cahces better than they found them without looking for the pat on teh back.

Heck, I'll be the first to say that I put coins out for egotistical purposes. I love to get posts on traveling coins that say things like "Beautiful coin, thanks for sharing!" - or reading a log in a cache where I've left an unactivated coin as swag and the next finder is happy (knowing that I was the cause of it). It feeds the ego and I can accept that and state it openly.

I'd love to continue this discussion in a civilized way in a new thread so I don't hijack your thread Dorkfish - since this one seems to be focused on the contest.

Being a psychology major myself I was hoping to see this discussion spin off from the contest - maybe a new thread will be opened for it?

From the OP:

Basically altruism is giving without regard to reward or the benefits of recognition. It is an unselfish concern for the welfare of others. <snip>

In contrast, egoism is just the opposite. It is the view that people are motivated by rational self-interest. The acts may appear to be altruistic in nature, but an underlying self-interest is undeniable. One's self is at the forefront of being.

Based on what I see here, 95% of the giving in this forum falls under the latter category. Mind you that is not a negative statement and should not be taken as such (although I'm sure some will). Almsot every contest or giveway is heavily promoted by the person who is running it or doing it, thus ensuring that they get the credit for doing something wonderful.

The folks who are doing things as true altruists are doing so without every coming in here to talk about it (for the most part). While some are in here anonymously (GeoCoin Fairy, Santa, etc.) most just go about their business adding extras into trades, leaving cahces better than they found them without looking for the pat on teh back.

Heck, I'll be the first to say that I put coins out for egotistical purposes. I love to get posts on traveling coins that say things like "Beautiful coin, thanks for sharing!" - or reading a log in a cache where I've left an unactivated coin as swag and the next finder is happy (knowing that I was the cause of it). It feeds the ego and I can accept that and state it openly.

I'd love to continue this discussion in a civilized way in a new thread so I don't hijack your thread Dorkfish - since this one seems to be focused on the contest.

I think Joey and Phoebe had this debate on Friends. LOL

According to Joey, there are no true acts of selflessness, because if you feel good for doing it, then you got something out of it! :laughing: But of course, it is well deserved!

I think Joey and Phoebe had this debate on Friends. LOL

According to Joey, there are no true acts of selflessness, because if you feel good for doing it, then you got something out of it! :laughing: But of course, it is well deserved!

I remember that episode fondly. Sigh....I miss that show.

...According to Joey, there are no true acts of selflessness, because if you feel good for doing it, then you got something out of it! :laughing: But of course, it is well deserved!

Joey thinks like I do. It's not bad, it just is. There is a lot of degrees to it though. Those who lean more towards the altruist side are not caught doing their Random Acts of Kindness often. They just do them.

To illistrate the point.

Two guys who each have some money decide to give it to a struggeling college student to help them through school. One runs a scholarship promotion, the winner has proven they are worthy, the press picks up the Photo Op and everyone is happy. The other overhears a kid on a payphone arranging a bus ticket with their parents. The job doesn't cover the bills and the college bills are too much, it's time to go home. He stops on the spot, asks the kid his name and writes a check saying nothing more than, "someday maybe you can do the same thing for someone else."

The former did a good thing, the latter did a better thing.

Its about announcing that anonymous check writer, letting the people know that this person is a true Altruist, rather than letting the "Egotists" being the only ones recognized (which I doubt is there point at all)

I never expected my name to come up, but it did make me feel good to know that my contributions to someone made their day...and that feeds my Ego as much as it wasnt meant to...Its a Triple whammy~You made their day which made your day...Then when the chance comes about to gloat about the Random acts you have recieved, you get to state that "someone thought of me and made me happy" and gives that person a chance to reflect on the good that someone has done for them...Which in turn, makes them happy~Its a Win Win situation

As far as the Egotism vs Altruism...Like I said they go hand in hand only the egotism can be seen as personal egotism, rather than a "Im gonna look real good on this one" guess it can go both ways.

Id say were right on topic!

Call it what ya want, analyze it; egotistical or altruistic doesn't really matter to me as far as these forums are concerned :ph34r: If a person wants to consider a contest a form of egoism, well then guess I fit the mold but with having said that, I'm going to continue being an egoist because it makes me happy when I get to put a smile on someone else's face whether the general public is aware of it or not. That's just my personal style.

One could argue that just by posting on these threads we are all egoists :laughing:

So, having said all that to garner some attention for myself, allow me to nominate someone very special;

kealia: For just being you :D Hope you'll be at GW6 because my ego wants to meet your ego :D We probably won't be able to fit through the door at the same time :ph34r:

~tsun

Edit to add: If you win this contest, you can thank me publicly :ph34r: Just having some fun ya'll.

Edited by tsunrisebey
One could argue that just by posting on these threads we are all egoists :D

So, having said all that to garner some attention for myself, allow me to nominate someone very special;

kealia: For just being you :ph34r: Hope you'll be at GW6 because my ego wants to meet your ego :laughing: We probably won't be able to fit through the door at the same time :D

~tsun

Edit to add: If you win this contest, you can thank me publicly :ph34r: Just having some fun ya'll.

Don't worry, I don't think I'm in the running :ph34r: .

I'll be at GW6 - ego and all :D .

And I think that if this discussion is going to continue people need to realize the difference between what we lay people refer to as an ego, and the psychological definition. There's a way to talk about somebody's ego (the latter) without being offensive and having the other person think that it means their (former version) ego.

Very hard to distinguish that in writing in the forums. Simple things get misread in text, so I'm not sure how this would go over.

Good evening,

After reading and thinking, there are two names that come to my mind as deserving a nomination.

1-Tank Hounds because Mrs. Tankhound has been very active in organizing coin events for us to be involved in. Generating the idea is easy, putting the idea into place and making it work is a gift to the coin comminity. My hat off to you!

2-Deafhunt-just be cause reading his logs makes me smile. Hats off to you for "speaking up" in the coin community. Geocaching has taught me lessons, what is actually a 1 terrain, and the second to not be so judgemental. The best package comes in an unusual wrapper. The lesson Deafhunt has taught me is related to how a deaf person has a challenge with typos. I admire his willingness to educate me while he takes the heat for posts. Rambling on, I appreciate his posts.

Accordiongal

The names I don't see that I want to add:

Nashville Joe and Abbysgrammy. They give a lot to people they don't even know, just because they can.

PEPPER. Need I say more????

Don't you think every reviewer should be on here? Sure, they get something back from volunteering, but considering the amount of :laughing: they have to put up with, there's GOT to be some altruism in there, too. :ph34r:

JoeGPS. Always has a helping hand or an open ear when needed.

There are so many ... let me look over the names again and think on it ...

Happy Trails! Geocachers are THE BEST.

Candy

Seems like I am hogging this thread, perhaps for my own ego. LOL :)

Next I would like to nominate:

Parents of Sam : Stephanie is a very kind and generous person. We have fun chatting about her children and my daughter. She has been very generous in our trades as well, sending extras for PengoBeky and arranging trades at GW5 through another cacher so that we can get her girls' micro set. She also helps promote geocaching and helped put together the 'peeps' and did the 'duckie' group too for MWGB. She's great!! :)

I second this nomination!

Hmmm... interesting thread because the moment I thought of it names started rolling through my head at high speed. There are a lot of people who have gone the extra mile. For us personally, I'd like to nominate a few standouts that make a difference in more ways than they realize (mostly by inspiring others).

Cachegame (loads of dedication that never ends)

Go Jaybee & Damenace (inspiring others to give without receiving)

RichinNEPA & Zhanna (for putting out caches that will change lives and inspire greatness)

Avroair (for all the things you know about and more for the things you never hear)

Briansnat (for caches, advice, moderation and just good, plain generosity of character)

and of course Dorkfish (for showing us the true meaning of caching spirit)

There are so many more, but these folks always come to mind again and again. They deserve the attention even if they're not looking for it. :)

There have been so many nominated that I agree with so I'm going to mention a few in the local community that is not on the list.

D-Force/ I nominate this guy because he is a great guy and always willing to help out a fellow geocacher.

CacheUman/ Another great cacher I have meet since moving to NC and he is always willing to help out.

ATC06/ This cacher and his family has helped me and my family feel and home and show us the ropes.

Medic208/ for answering the phone a friend calls and for hiding all the caches I need to phone him for.

CacheGuru/ for coming to the events and always volunteering to take the pictures. This is a great cacher always willing to lend a hand.

N8turgrl/ for being there for anyone who needs her and always helping plan the events.

icydreamer/ also for always giving a helping hand to the geocachers in the area.

I know there are more and when I think of them I will post again.

I would like to nominate the following people (in no particular order, some spelled wrong)

Avroair

AtlantaGal

GOTCHA!

PoSAM

BrianSnat

GPX Navigators

Tsunriseby

JoeFrog

AlabamaRambler

CT Trampers

Prntr1

D@nim@l

PGHlooking

DresselDragons

LadyBee4T

Rivercity

Prairie Partners

Team ShyDog

Fluttershy

Peconic Bay Sailors

Jug & Roon

Marky

Joani

Neilsenc

Tadpole379

Macatac1961

Squealy

Dorkfish

Go JayBee

I am sure i have forgotten a few people, but it is getting late and I have typed this list 3 times already (stupid forums)

I want to nominate tsunriseby because of her hospitality when I came through her hometown earlier this year. She insisted on buying me dinner and showed me a hotel I could stay in during my stop over in MT on my way to Lexington, Kentucky. All of this could of been done on my own but she wanted to help out and I thought that was nice. I gave her one of my CSR geocoins for being so kind and in return she promised to send me one of her new coins she was making (the Indy Jones theme). She even invited me back to Montana for fishing, bon fires, 4x4ing, hiking, etc. I may come back out to Montana next year after Sturgess with my girlfriend and son and hopefully see tsunriseby again when I'm out fishing or geocaching.

Edited by Cav Scout

I have a comment on the altruism vs egoism aspect but not on the contest. Spending money to make a geocoin that has your name on it and then offering it to other geocachers is egoism, plain and simple. Altruism is a bit harder to pin down but many many people make coins for organizations, for causes and for reasons that have nothing to do with enlarging the circle of people that know who they are or splashing their handle everywhere. Making a coin to trade is thinly veiled commerical transaction, you turn your money into a geocoin and then use it to acquire other geocoins, nothing altruistic or special about this form of currency conversion.

If you have made a bunch of coins that feature you then you are firmly in the egoist camp, even if you give them all away. If you make geocoins and then trade them to get a larger collection, you are in the egoist camp, you are increasing the size of your collection albeit in a roundabout fashion.

Altruists don't have a coin to trade, they have given them away. A coin made by a geocaching altruist features geocaching, not a geocaching handle.

The egoists really want to be viewed as altruists but they are not, they are simply advancing their own self interest. There is nothing that rankles an egoist more than an altruist, the egoist is busy trying to pretend to be an altruist (saying humbly "Aren't I great and giving") while the altruists are just busy giving.

So my vote is for avroair, an admitted egoist who really gives away a lot of stuff and has no trouble admitting that he is an egoist. We have a great altruist in Alberta and I won't mention his name because he wouldn't want that but I think most of the geocoin community knows who I am talking about and I see his name has already popped up in this thread. I suspect that if pressured he would claim he was actually an egoist just so he didn't get tagged with the altruist handle.

And Joey was wrong on Friends, altruism does exist.

When you perform a service you do not enjoy undertaking and you undertake to do it because you know it has to be done then your acting altruistically. Geocaching abounds with quiet heroes, people who love geocaching and do things that may not be enjoyable but need to be done. They dry out wet logbooks, wasting their time so the next seeker has a better experience, they add swag to caches, thinking of the next guy in line rather than their own gain.

Now me, I am an egoist.

I enjoy giving away geocoins, my collection is only around thirty coins or so and I have given away hundreds of new unactivated geocoins. I could claim that I was an altruist and in some regards I suppose I might be, I do what I do to advance geocaching and geocoins but at the end of the day I know I am an egoist and that is where the matter truly is decided, in a person's heart.

I tend to move under the regular geocoin radar because I don't trade coins and the only letters I send out are letters explaining that I don't trade coins and if you want a coin that I have made you have to buy it.

I give away geocoins to CITO events and gatherings all over the world, I do this to advance geocaching and geocoins. I also buy and give away geocoins that catch my eye on a regular basis, I suppose I have never caught the "I have to have that geocoin" bug but I an certain I spend more than many collectors!

Thanks to everyone who makes and sells and especially buys geocoins, I could not give away geocoins without people buying them and creating profits. I take my profits and turn them into geocoins and then I give away new unactivated geocoins.

I never thought you were an altruist Mark, not once! :huh:

Very good point Wavevector I must say...Very good! I guess I will be an Egotist then...cause I cant wait to get my coin done! Its just so special and cool being able to create your personal coin and have it traveling around the world. Plus its fun! Trading is fun, Collecting is fun, caching is fun, Moving/Discovering coins is fun...So to go out and get your own coin done is very exciting for me, cant wait to get it and start droppin it, tradin it and whatever.

Why else would anyone put anything good in caches???? To make it exciting for the next to find!...Its just dang fun...Call it what you will...and I definatley see your point!

Guess there is an Ego in all of us :huh: We all sit here and write so others can hear us talk...But its fun!

Edited by 007BigD

LOL what a wicked :rolleyes: title for a thread! This really tickles my fancy (personally i don't hink you can actually separate the two; although they appear to be polar opposites I bet the 'behaviour' exists together embedded in our genes at the same locus - I'll have to dig up a link 4 you to the little AI simulation one can play which demonstrates the evolutionary value of altruism.

> http://prisonersdilemma.groenefee.nl - the basic maths

http://www.ethics.ubc.ca/eame/eameweb/Simu...oject/TofC.html - the simplest evolutionary beginnings

http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/nania/examples.html another + 'more complicated' related applets )

The thread already contains a heap of those who'd get my vote of course. This time I'd like to nominate some folk not on the coin forum - anyone who hides a cache! but whittling it down to just a few to keep it sensible (it's a pretty lightweight affair as I'm sure those who are doing the real altruistic yards are unsung ):

Locally Robtas who loves coins and TB's - just moving them - he is always unselfishly hiding caches for everyone's amusement over 100!

Further afield travelingviking for his Hannover TB safehouse and regions of germany coin project

prntr1

and planet of "are you missing a blue plushy TB" thread who would be allergic to winning a coin but perhaps Karma you can auction one and send proceeds to Audubon Society?

Edited by forthferalz

Can't believe how quickly this thread died off :P I still have alot more people to nominate before the end of this month. I'll do that later today but I wanted to post a pic of two more coins that are part of the contest. These were donated by a very nice person who wishes to remain anonymous. Thank you so much for demonstrating that altruism does exist. At least in my mind it does :P

These coins are added to the other coins and will be randomly given away to two of the nominated individuals.

cdc20770-dfae-4c4e-a4e7-305741642ac7.jpg

I am still voting for Avroair, he is always there when I need him, come to think of it he's always there when I don't need him too. Here, there... Avroair

My first shot here... thanks for reminding us of this thread Karma...

tsunrisebey - for being very giving, very caring, very friendly. She has the biggest heart and is there to help others at the drop of a hat

deafhunt - for teaching us tolerance, patience and reminding us that sometime we just need to slow down (or stop) and just listen and understand

Cheesy pigs (Mrs) - Liz, for your patience :P

Team Chelmo - yeah, he is my brother, but he has introduced others to caching and fostered them as they got up and going; always there to help

Marky - for all the efforts I see and hear he and Joani put in to geocaching in so many ways

Joani - see "Marky"

avroair - another one who does so much for geocaching in so many different way

Atwell Family (Mike) - for spearheading an amazing project that enabled so many of us to actually have our own personal geocoins at a fraction for the price

...more to come later...

Thanks for bumping this thread Karma....there are still some people left for me to nominate. :laughing:

keewee: for being so generous! I have gotten to know him through the secret missions and he does so much to help promote caching in New Zealand plus has been very generous to us. Thanks! You're a great guy!

tennessee jed: He's really nice and has been very, very generous in trades.

oshndoc: a first class guy!! Thank you for all our chats! I really enjoy them.

I should throw some names out, since I was reading this thread. :laughing:

• summerandnana - A nicer, more giving person you couldn't find.
  • Mauison - You've always had our back!
  • tsunrisebey - Cointests and so much more.
  • The Nielsen Boys (nielsenc, hjnielsen) - You've always treated us right.
  • avroair - Too much fun to hang out with.
  • dorkfish - Always good karma in my book.

--Marky