Recommendations needed for NC, TN & KY

cyberberry

Hey there!

We'll be in the States end of October, beginning of November. And we will have plenty of time for caching on

our little tour through NC, TN and KY. :D

Does anybody have recommendations for great caches to find? So far, the planned tour looks like this:

Statesville NC - Gatlinburgh TN - Nashville TN - Memphis TN - Bowling Green KY - Bardstown KY -

Prestonburgh KY - Corbin KY - Statesville NC

As we will spend 1 week touring and 2 weeks in lovely Statesville NC, maybe there's a possibility to meet

American cachers? :D Would be great to talk about the differences between geocaching in the US and

in Germany and maybe find a cache together?!

Looking forward to your replies... Thanks a lot in advance!!! :D

Summerly greetings from Stuttgart, Germany

Lilly & Stefan

If you're going Nashville to Memphis, I assume you'll be coming down I-40. You'll pass right through Jackson which has a TON of caches of all shapes and sizes. I'd recommend Cache Raider, but it's a little off I-40...

GC13MFQ

There's a group of us around the Jackson area and we have a forum, if you'd like to join. Just tell 'em I sent ya. :-)

http://jag.eamped.com/

Jim

We will get a few great caches together for you all. And would love the chance to meet some fellow cachers from over-seas. We are in the Tri-cites(Johnson city- Bristol area of TN) however make runs down to and through Statesville, NC about once a month. Keep in touch.

Cool! Jippie! What shall I say more... The less days 'till vacation, the more excited I am.

We've been on a pretty "hilly" tour yesterday. Caches are so different. Even between south of Germany and

north of Germany or in Switzerland, you can tell they're different. I am so excited!!!!

I've got another question for your Southeast-Cachers. I haven't thought of any animals sneaking around in

the woods of the 3 States. Here in Germany, all we've ever met was mice, frogs, snails, foxes and deer.

How does it look like in NC, TN and KY? Do we have to be afraid of bears or snakes or so?

Lilly

Do we have to be afraid of bears or snakes or so?

Lilly

IF you see a bear, you will be (probably) lucky. Treat them as a large unknown dog, giving them lots of room and they will probably walk away.

More likley is snakes. Keep your eyes open and watch where you step and reach and you should be fine.

Insects are a bigger reality. Ticks, Chiggers and Spiders are a problem in the south. Also Poison Ivy, and to a smaller degree, Poison Oak and others.

I don't know how you are planning your routing, but Nemo's Tomb GCHMBH is one of my all time favorites. Just a great place.

If you will be in the area check it out.

PP4X4

Heh I just came back from finding some caches in Switzerland, France, and Germany. Your woods don't look too different than ours, but our squirrels are grey not red. You will probably see and hear deer, but they pose no threat.

Nittany Dave already linked you to the best of NC.

And has already been pointed out, you should learn what poison ivy and oak look like. Otherwise your trip could be very itchy and uncomfortable. You should find a good resource via google with pics to help you avoid it. "Leaves of three, let it be" is a good reminder.

A bit north/northeast of Nashville, (Goodlettsville, Hendersonville and Gallatin), there are enough geocaches of varying sizes, difficulties, etc. to keep you busy for days. Check out the site across from Bill Golden's house (15 Miles Per Hour), No Good Joker Did It Again (in Gallatin), Steeple Corner (Hendersonville), "x" Crossing Guard (H'Ville), and 40 Love and Casper's Ghost (in Goodlettsville). And there's enough microcaches to fill up the rest of your time.

Have a great trip!!!!

Hey there!

We'll be in the States end of October, beginning of November. And we will have plenty of time for caching on

our little tour through NC, TN and KY. :)

Does anybody have recommendations for great caches to find? So far, the planned tour looks like this:

Statesville NC - Gatlinburgh TN - Nashville TN - Memphis TN - Bowling Green KY - Bardstown KY -

Prestonburgh KY - Corbin KY - Statesville NC

As we will spend 1 week touring and 2 weeks in lovely Statesville NC, maybe there's a possibility to meet

American cachers? :) Would be great to talk about the differences between geocaching in the US and

in Germany and maybe find a cache together?!

Looking forward to your replies... Thanks a lot in advance!!! :)

Summerly greetings from Stuttgart, Germany

Lilly & Stefan

Guten Morgen:

I would be happy to go caching with you when you are in North Carolina. I live about 160 kilometers east of Statesville so I am not currently all that familiar with the best caches in the area, but I'll look around. Also, I am not an "American Cacher", I am an expat European. Is that OK? :)