cache hiding places

alma

just recently i hae done some caches and were they have been hidden makes me wonder what the placers were thinking one was a micro just put on the back of a dog poo bin which you could see as you were walking up to it and another it looked as if the owner had just closed there eyes thrown it down and thought thats were ill leave it

i havnt mentioned anything as i dont like to upset people but i thoght id just bring it up on the forums as this i have seen a few times .has anyone else spotted this is it just me

I've noticed a deterioration in the standard of grammar and spelling too!

That reminds me! I went to "The Works - publishers outlet" store in my local high street the other day and they are selling off pocket sized english dictionaries for 37p each :D Bought a couple, bagged em up and Im going to leave one in the next cache I find with a large enough container as a swap :D

That reminds me! I went to "The Works - publishers outlet" store in my local high street the other day and they are selling off pocket sized english dictionaries for 37p each :D Bought a couple, bagged em up and Im going to leave one in the next cache I find with a large enough container as a swap :D

As found on another forum:

is the sutch a fing2 lern wiv? advis and offors fanks. i am first time infusiast.

bin practisin on easy fly sim. wont 2 try a remote control litle 1

Heaven help us!!!

18 Months ago I went for a FTF nearby and found it was a cardboard box (of the sort that OEM Computer spares come in) tied into a plastic carrier bag, hanging from a bush. It looked like a discarded Dog Poop bag! Mind you it blended well into the area as it was a bit of a dumping ground. :D It was a first placing by someone who had only found 1!

Needless to say I told the Mods and it was disabled PDQ.

name='cakemaker' date='Sep 2 2007, 07:52 PM' post='3048503']

name='alma' post='3048459' date='Sep 2 2007, 09:49 AM']

You have now and you might have done!

Why mention it? There are many reasons for spelling and grammar errors, second language and dyslexia to mention just a couple.

If picking others up on such things gives a nice warm feeling...

Your nice warm feeling will almost certainly discourage others from posting.

Edited by Johnmelad

i havnt mentioned anything as i dont like to upset people

this is a caching forum not an english lesson forum i dont remember reading anywere on the forum rules that says you have to be good at grammer to come on the forums

Why mention it? There are many reasons for spelling and grammar errors, second language and dyslexia to mention just a couple.

Well said Alma :D

well said as well to you johnmelad

I know a cacher who suffers from dyslexia, who posted on these forums - after being corrected - he didn't post again for a year.

Some forum members seem to enjoy jumping down the throat of anyone who makes a mistake or two. Yep I know it can be annoying, hard to read sometimes too - but remember - that very post may have taken someone a very long time to write. Yes I know there's software that can help, but it's not always installed on every PC a dyslexic may use.

Please give people a chance.

My grammar is dead, bless her.

You want to try caching in the USA if you want to see poor hides. There are cache series over there in car parks of restaurants etc which are just micros tied to the branches of a bush or similar right outside shops on retail parks.

Other top notch hiding places include magnetic micros on the back of crash barriers along the side of the road, lamp posts and on advertising boards on bus shelters.

When we get a series that has a cache placed by every Harvester restaurant or by bus stops then I'll start worrying about it. You will always get some ill conceived caches, but I think in the UK they are not a huge issue as we don't seem to have adopted the attitude of placing a cache for caches sake, regardless of location.

When we get a series that has a cache placed by every Harvester restaurant or by bus stops then I'll start worrying about it. You will always get some ill conceived caches, but I think in the UK they are not a huge issue as we don't seem to have adopted the attitude of placing a cache for caches sake, regardless of location.

Must resist, must resist, must resist.

You can generally get an idea of the quality of a cache by reading the cache page, hint and logs. If all the logs are terse "TNLNSL" or comments about dog poo, then avoid! (Unless of course it's one of Us4andJess' plastic dog poo specials, in which case dog poo comments are a recommendation) similarly if the hint is "35mm cannister on dog waste bin", or "Altoids tin in ivy" then again, move along, nothing to find here ...

We don't do enough caches to comment on general trends, and we've just returned after a summer of enforced inactivity, but we're quite happy with what we find.

Instead of whinging about what's wrong with caching. I'd just like to say thank you to all the cache setters, cache finders and cache event goers who have contributed to the enrichment of our lives. Without caching we'd not being seeing and visiting as many places we have. in the last 18months. Hey...I even managed to do a few caches up North (btw anywhere North of Bristol is far North to me). I know how much time and effort goes into setting some caches and arranging events. So it's a BIG thank you from all of The Morgan Mob.

Big hugs (as always)

Sarah :anicute:

Instead of whinging about what's wrong with caching. I'd just like to say thank you to all the cache setters, cache finders and cache event goers who have contributed to the enrichment of our lives. Without caching we'd not being seeing and visiting as many places we have. in the last 18months. Hey...I even managed to do a few caches up North (btw anywhere North of Bristol is far North to me). I know how much time and effort goes into setting some caches and arranging events. So it's a BIG thank you from all of The Morgan Mob.

Big hugs (as always)

I follow this tact, well said sarah. We are a diverse community of people and we come in all shapes, sizes and abilities. Some are good at hiding things and poor at finding, others are good at finding and poor at hiding. It just adds to the fun in my mind. :blink:

As a very quick suggestion to those whose spelling isn't perhaps up to scratch, download Google Toolbar. This has a tool that will let you spell-check any online forms and forums such as this before you post. Just an idea of course........Ade

If you're using MS Internet Explorer, then ieSpell works for me and it's free for personal use. Don't know if it works with Firefox, though.

I ate the goat :anicute:

There was a Mongoose who swallowed a goat,

Just opened his throat! to swallow a goat,

He swallowed the goat to catch the dog,

He swallowed the dog to catch the cat,

He swallowed the cat to catch the bird,

He swallowed the bird to catch the spider,

That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside him,

He swallowed the spider to catch the fly,

I don't know why he swallowed the fly,

Perhaps he'll die.

Sorry, I'll get my goat coat

:blink::D:blink:

Big hugs (as always)

i was not whinging i was just worried about some caches that are badly hidden and i did not want them going missing .i was just hoping people place there caches a little more carefully.

and by the way i am greatful to all those cache setters who place caches and give me hours of enjoyment.

so if being concerned about badly placed caches is whinging then im guilty

i was not whinging i was just worried about some caches that are badly hidden and i did not want them going missing .i was just hoping people place there caches a little more carefully.

and by the way i am greatful to all those cache setters who place caches and give me hours of enjoyment.

im thinking about taking the bate.....

I ate the goat :)

There was a Mongoose who swallowed a goat,

Just opened his throat! to swallow a goat,

He swallowed the goat to catch the dog,

He swallowed the dog to catch the cat,

He swallowed the cat to catch the bird,

He swallowed the bird to catch the spider,

That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside him,

He swallowed the spider to catch the fly,

I don't know why he swallowed the fly,

Perhaps he'll die.

Sorry, I'll get my goat coat

:D:anicute::D

Well, thankyou very much for that, I just spat out a mouthful of Whole Nut all over my monitor during a particularly loud guffaw. :blink::D:blink:

'Waste Disposal NE London' is another dog poo bin one. Mind you, my Whitebridge Wander has a clue on the bin but at least you dont have to touch it!

The ones I dont like are where they are placed in areas frequented by unsavoury male characters of a certain persuasion. I generally take the kids with me and it is not very pleasant when you realise you are in one of these places. The worst one was near the Eagle Pond in Leytonstone (I think it was called the 'Wet Eagle'). Digging around trying to find a cache with used condoms about is no fun.

The trouble with urban parks is finding a safe secluded hide area area that is muggle, poo and rubbish free.

18 Months ago I went for a FTF nearby and found it was a cardboard box (of the sort that OEM Computer spares come in) tied into a plastic carrier bag, hanging from a bush. It looked like a discarded Dog Poop bag! Mind you it blended well into the area as it was a bit of a dumping ground. :D It was a first placing by someone who had only found 1!

I suggested this; a micro camouflaged as a hanging-up dog-poo bag, such as we see so often and don't really want to handle.

Of course, ladysolly totally vetoed the idea, with much earache.

I suggested this; a micro camouflaged as a hanging-up dog-poo bag, such as we see so often and don't really want to handle.

I hope you took notice. It’s bad enough to see these in the first place without thinking that someone will actually go out and maintain one so it remains there indefinitely, looking like what it is - a bag of $#!t. There’s a cache here in the north that is designed to look like such “urban tumbleweed” – a plastic supermarket bag in a tree – and it’s awful, I’m afraid. Caching is a bit more up market than this I hope. Anyway, you're not supposed to put caches in bags. That'll stop yer :D

Highly amusing... until you have to search to find your own cache for maintenance... think on that.

The cache on the dog poo bin, previously mentioned, is also my worst cache of all time. It was vile and stinky... we send DRC in to grab the cache! :)

Edited by Alibags

Big hugs (as always)

Sarah :)

I apologise if I was seen as pointing the finger...I'd just like to see a few more positive threads to counter the negative ones. (I'm a girl that likes balance!) If someone new entered the forums...what on earth would they think of us as a community? WE already know what we're like and I'd like to see a more postive picture painted of geocaching here.

(one womans view AGAIN!)

S :)

I apologise if I was seen as pointing the finger...I'd just like to see a few more positive threads to counter the negative ones. (I'm a girl that likes balance!) If someone new entered the forums...what on earth would they think of us as a community? WE already know what we're like and I'd like to see a more postive picture painted of geocaching here.

(one womans view AGAIN!)

S

Oh I can't wait to bump into you, you can teach my missus all about that :) ........Ouch I've just clumped around the ear! :)

(one womans view AGAIN!)

S

Oh I can't wait to bump into you, you can teach my missus all about that :o ........Ouch I've just clumped around the ear! :(

Get yourself to this event as a day visitor next weekend and you might just do!

SOMERSET EVENT

S

When we get a series that has a cache placed by every Harvester restaurant or by bus stops then I'll start worrying about it.

Ooo, gives me the idea to do a series on a bus route. If you press the bus stop bell when you pass the cache you will get off at a bus stop near it but still have to walk back and have a good cache search.

I would do a few in the series, but at least 3 stops apart. Each one either being a micro cache it's self or just a message to go to the next cache (tells you a direction, or even take a different bus).

So it wouldn't just be hop of at each stop, find it attached to the shelter or post easily.

What do you think about that?

18 Months ago I went for a FTF nearby and found it was a cardboard box (of the sort that OEM Computer spares come in) tied into a plastic carrier bag, hanging from a bush. It looked like a discarded Dog Poop bag! Mind you it blended well into the area as it was a bit of a dumping ground. :o It was a first placing by someone who had only found 1!

I hope you took notice. It’s bad enough to see these in the first place without thinking that someone will actually go out and maintain one so it remains there indefinitely, looking like what it is - a bag of $#!t. There’s a cache here in the north that is designed to look like such “urban tumbleweed” – a plastic supermarket bag in a tree – and it’s awful, I’m afraid. Caching is a bit more up market than this I hope. Anyway, you're not supposed to put caches in bags. That'll stop yer :(

"Veto" is latin for "I forbid it", or some such. Anyway, I wasn't entirely serious with the suggestion.

Big hugs (as always)

Sarah :(

(one womans view AGAIN!)

S :o

im sorry if my thread came over the wrong way didnt mean to cause any offence hope im forgiven if i see you at any events then i will apologise personally if ive upset you

I suspect that most people who go on forums expect to see disagreements.

Surely we should be questioning the reaction of a new cacher if there first ever cache was disguised as a bag of dog poo or on a dog poo bin. If I'd come across some of the caches I have done in the last few months in my early days then I doubt I would have found the number of caches I have. Now I just try to take it in my stride and accept that even though I might not like it there are other cachers out there who love caches disguised as dog poo (As long as it's a short walk from the car and there is another cache a few hundred feet down the road). :DB)B)B)

I suspect that most people who go on forums expect to see disagreements.

Surely we should be questioning the reaction of a new cacher if there first ever cache was disguised as a bag of dog poo or on a dog poo bin. If I'd come across some of the caches I have done in the last few months in my early days then I doubt I would have found the number of caches I have. Now I just try to take it in my stride and accept that even though I might not like it there are other cachers out there who love caches disguised as dog poo (As long as it's a short walk from the car and there is another cache a few hundred feet down the road). :DB)B)B)

May I point out the word BALANCE in my post....I don't mind civil discussion and disagreement I just like BALANCE!!!!!!

I actually do have opinions on poor caches....which I choose to keep to myself for fear of flaming!

S

Edited by The Morgan Mob