Save some Dosh

The Roos

Am sure this has probably been mentioned before, but thought it was worth while letting other cachers know incase they missed it. Whilst holidaying in Cornwall this year we found that when we were out caching most if not all of the car parks were NT car parks and often we were required to park in 3 or 4 different locations during the day which meant that we had to pay for parking each time ranging between £2.50 and £4.00 which all adds up over two weeks and out of our family budget for the holiday became quite expensive, unfortunately not till our last day of our holiday did we discover from a very friendly little National Trust man that we could actually join one of our children on a Junior National Trust Membership for a year for £20.00 which was a lot less than we'd paid out on parking over the two weeks, this then enabled us to park free in any National Trust Car Park (and alot of them charge all year round) For any family cachers out there thought this might be worth knowing.

Am sure this has probably been mentioned before, but thought it was worth while letting other cachers know incase they missed it. Whilst holidaying in Cornwall this year we found that when we were out caching most if not all of the car parks were NT car parks and often we were required to park in 3 or 4 different locations during the day which meant that we had to pay for parking each time ranging between £2.50 and £4.00 which all adds up over two weeks and out of our family budget for the holiday became quite expensive, unfortunately not till our last day of our holiday did we discover from a very friendly little National Trust man that we could actually join one of our children on a Junior National Trust Membership for a year for £20.00 which was a lot less than we'd paid out on parking over the two weeks, this then enabled us to park free in any National Trust Car Park (and alot of them charge all year round) For any family cachers out there thought this might be worth knowing.

On a recent visit to a NT Cp, I knew that I would need to park for 1 to 1 /12 hours, guess what? The prices were 45p for one hour (very reasonable) but no 2 or 3 three hour cost. The only option was one hour or four hours for £4.00. A con or what?

Or better still go into any local supermarket and buy a roll of binliners. Then place one of them over the pay and display machine...... tape it up with masking tape and stick an out of order sign on it.

SAVING = £13.20

:D

Why not go the whole hog and take along a 4x4 and chain and drag the pay machine out of the ground :D

On the other hand you might like to make a contribution to the NT to support their work not just in maintaining convenient car parks for our use but also a lot of the countryside for us to enjoy.

I'm sure noone is really suggesting disabling a ticket machine (I mean that would just be ridiculous wouldn't it!!!?) - do you think he could be joking!!? :D I only put this fact on because i know as a young family every penny counts and i'm not advocating doing the NT out of any money, in fact it was the NT car park man that suggested it - amazingly i just thought it was good advice and perhaps i'd share it coz maybe there were other people out there like me who had not considered that as an option - sorry won't do it again!

Mrs Roo

I'm sure noone is really suggesting disabling a ticket machine (I mean that would just be ridiculous wouldn't it!!!?) - do you think he could be joking!!? :D I only put this fact on because i know as a young family every penny counts and i'm not advocating doing the NT out of any money, in fact it was the NT car park man that suggested it - amazingly i just thought it was good advice and perhaps i'd share it coz maybe there were other people out there like me who had not considered that as an option - sorry won't do it again!

Mrs Roo

Definitely worth sharing ... I also welcome a good tip. Oh by the way ... congrats on your 100th forum post :D

I only put this fact on because i know as a young family every penny counts and i'm not advocating doing the NT out of any money, in fact it was the NT car park man that suggested it - amazingly i just thought it was good advice and perhaps i'd share it coz maybe there were other people out there like me who had not considered that as an option - sorry won't do it again!

Mrs Roo

Mrs Roo - this was a fine bit of advice. Don't be put off by the dubious responses. Things look a lot more serious in forums than intended and a thick skin is required. :anicute: Also the room for misunderstandings is infinite, and stupidity is everywhere...

As far as the NT goes: they are very happy that you pay for annual membership, even for the one junior member. It's 20 quid in the bank. Membership gets your car into some very fancy grounds too e.g. around Stag(gering) View. This is my local NT property and it has a cache placed by agreement.

I'm sure noone is really suggesting disabling a ticket machine (I mean that would just be ridiculous wouldn't it!!!?) - do you think he could be joking!!? :anicute: I only put this fact on because i know as a young family every penny counts and i'm not advocating doing the NT out of any money, in fact it was the NT car park man that suggested it - amazingly i just thought it was good advice and perhaps i'd share it coz maybe there were other people out there like me who had not considered that as an option - sorry won't do it again!

Mrs Roo

Woops - I think I used the wrong smiley as I too hoped it was a joke! :blink:

And I am very much in favour of your suggestion of taking out junior membership to get access to free car parking - if you are not wanting access to houses it is a good option especially if money is tight - you certainly are not doing the NT out of revenue and who knows in time you may want to take out full membership - good luck to you! :D

I'm sure noone is really suggesting disabling a ticket machine (I mean that would just be ridiculous wouldn't it!!!?) - do you think he could be joking!!? :anicute: I only put this fact on because i know as a young family every penny counts and i'm not advocating doing the NT out of any money, in fact it was the NT car park man that suggested it - amazingly i just thought it was good advice and perhaps i'd share it coz maybe there were other people out there like me who had not considered that as an option - sorry won't do it again!

Mrs Roo

Woops - I think I used the wrong smiley as I too hoped it was a joke! :blink:

And I am very much in favour of your suggestion of taking out junior membership to get access to free car parking - if you are not wanting access to houses it is a good option especially if money is tight - you certainly are not doing the NT out of revenue and who knows in time you may want to take out full membership - good luck to you! :D

Thanks 'John Stead' have taken my bum out of my hand and will try in future not to be over sensitive :blink:

I always try to avoid parking in NT carparks because in the lakes they are way to expensive. I also get annoyed when they charge over the odds and then have a box for you to donate money to them as well! it seems very cheeky to me. I understand that they do do some good work but i think they could make the parking charges a little more reasonable.

Edited by pirate_matt