sTICKy TICK removal

I live in Tennessee and we have a lot of seed ticks around here (about 1mm in size). related to the lint roller idea, I use a piece of clear packaging tape to get them off. The tape is very sticky (especially when warm), and you can get hundreds off in a swipe. You also get the satisfaction of encasing them in a tape tomb that is easy to dispose of.

I never heard of the Permethrin before this post. Seems promising.

There are several warnings about use around small kids, though.

Edited by 3ft_leprechaun

This isn't all that surprising when you realize that some species of ticks reportedly lay between 100 and 6000 eggs at a time. If you walk through just after they have hatched, you will get covered.

Last year I got about 10 juveniles at once, and that was enough for me! Google "tick nest" and you will run into some pictures that will make your skin crawl.

I've got some of this on the way "Mycodex Sensicare Flea & Tick Spray for Dogs & Cats" and we're going to give it a try on the cats and on our clothes when we go caching. I has no alcohol in it, so it should be pretty gentle even if it does get on our skin.

I'd use Adams brand given a choice. Mycodex is just as effective but has a really irritating fragrance that is far more persistent than the pyrethrin. Given a choice, keep the cats away from the tick and don't put anything on them. I know of no problems with natural pyrethrin on cats, but synthetic pyrethrins (permethrin) can kill cats.

Other than that, using the Mycodex preventively is about the least toxic way to get the job done.

I've got some of this on the way "Mycodex Sensicare Flea & Tick Spray for Dogs & Cats" and we're going to give it a try on the cats and on our clothes when we go caching. I has no alcohol in it, so it should be pretty gentle even if it does get on our skin.

I'd use Adams brand given a choice. Mycodex is just as effective but has a really irritating fragrance that is far more persistent than the pyrethrin. Given a choice, keep the cats away from the tick and don't put anything on them. I know of no problems with natural pyrethrin on cats, but synthetic pyrethrins (permethrin) can kill cats.

Other than that, using the Mycodex preventively is about the least toxic way to get the job done.

The tape is very sticky (especially when warm), and you can get hundreds off in a swipe.

You get hundreds of ticks on you at a time? :D

Hundreds are on a good day here in Arkansas. I have had hundreds on me while out mountain biking and then had a long drive home before I could deal with them. Quite a few of them had climbed a little too high.

:D

The tape is very sticky (especially when warm), and you can get hundreds off in a swipe.

You get hundreds of ticks on you at a time? :D

Hundreds are on a good day here in Arkansas. I have had hundreds on me while out mountain biking and then had a long drive home before I could deal with them. Quite a few of them had climbed a little too high.

:D

Thanks GeoScooter1 for vouching for me. OK I really did not count each one. Perhaps 97 to 189 or so. It was enough that I thought I had a little grass seeds on my pants until I looked closer. Kind of looked like this (not my picture, but similar)...pretty creepy, and I typically don't freak out over ticks. I felt like my skin was crawling for hours. :D:D

WQZS9QZSAQLSUQRSBQ1KBQY0NQTKNQAK4K1KVQT08QT0QKEKSKCKXKDK5KRSWQY0WQJ07K30MKY0.jpg

Growing up in North Carolina we always used fingernail polish remover to kill/remove chiggers/red bugs (some people actually use kerosene for chiggers but I wouldn't suggest it). I don't think it would work on a tick but it might. About the only thing I have used on a tick is a hot needle or a pair of tweezers, but I've never had a problem with ticks that small.

Something else I heard when I was growing up is that ticks are attracted to light colored clothing. I'm not really sure if that is true or not b/c I have found ticks on me after hunting in camo and have found them when wearing a white shirt.

Dude, where have you been caching here in Tennessee? Even when I forget to use whatever spray is handy in my car, I only pick up a few of those in my expeditions into the woods. I've never picked up 100's like that. You must have made a lucky discovery...

or maybe I just smell bad to those critters?

Dude, where have you been caching here in Tennessee?

He's local to you and me. It happens.

There are two distinct flavors of ticks locally. The kind most of us know are about the size of a match head and on a bad day you can find a dozen on you. I trust you know where to find them. The other kind is the one that the 3ftLeprechaun is describing. I've only gotten into them once, at Montgomery Bell State Park. I stopped counting after removing number 200 that evening but I was pretty freaked out. (I could have 200 of something I *liked* - say, ice cream cones - and be wigged out by it.)

It wasn't a day of caching, so I doubt I was sprayed up, but we definitely have that kind of ticks around here, Sduck.