Basemap on 60csx disappeared

Again, I'm faced with another, more than likely trivial, dilemma. I purchased the 60csx today, acquired the necessary satellites, and calibrated the compass/altimeter, and the Mapsource basemap was running smoothly after the initial setup.

Later on in the day, however, I had the ridiculous impulse to tinker around with various settings, and made a novice attempt at adding the Bluechart Americas 8 map (and, according to the unlock wizard, I unlocked the map successfully.) Before I knew it, the only visible thing on the unit's map page was a black screen with various zigzagging dotted lines, and upon starting up I get a message saying "Can't unlock maps."

I've tried going to: map/menu/setupmap/information making sure that the basemap box is checked off (as that is my primary concern.)

From there, I've tried all the possible sub-menu map options. I've also gone to the Garmin website, and downloaded all the necessary updates for the device. Nothing has worked. :D

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

When you get "Can't unlock maps" your problem is with the additional maps; either they did not load completely or your unlock code was not included in the mapset as it was loaded into the GPSr. If you made a mistake with the unlock process so that your unit's serial number did not get coded correctly or you mistyped something, then you may need to get help from a Garmin tech to fix that. But before you make that call, try having Mapsource send the maps into your GPSr again but use only one map section with which you are familiar (so you can test the map). If that works, then the problem is not with your unlock code.

How are you planning to use the Bluechart map for geocaching? I guess you'll be doing a lot of difficulty=5 caches. :D

Thanks for all your suggestions! I was able to retrieve the basemap by doing a hard reset, but that "Can't unlock maps" notification still pops up. I just might have to make that phone call to tech support.

In regard to your inquiry, the Bluechart map was the only option I was given for the 60csx when I went on Garmin's software compatibility page. I don't plan on doing high difficulty caches, so do you suggest I use City Navigator instead?