Caches-What type of containers do you use

Camstal

The only wet ammo box I have found was one where somebody forgot to close the lid.

Haha well that'll do it! I found one cache where the gasket in the ammo can had been destroyed and the cache was wet, every single other one I've found had held up fine. Considering these things are surplus from Korea/Vietnam, I think they have a very long shelf-life even outdoors. But if the gasket is no good, it will leak. I'm pretty sure you can get replacement gaskets. And of course no form of waterproof container can withstand being left open.

I like the German Butter Dish: rust-free and water-proof. One of mine recently survived the Harris Fires in San Diego. The bush it was under burned to a crisp but the dish survived. The plastic liner and rubber seal did not, but the container did.

OTG61sm.jpg

Decon containers are popular in my area; they're sturdy hard plastic but they're water resistant (not water-proof) and strong.

wrmbox1.jpg

I order from Marjor Surplus by the dozen when I run out. I believe they're about $15 a dozen when they have them. Just checked and they're currently out of stock. Omaha GI has them for $3 each.

Two other popular containers in my area are the matchstick container and M&M tubes.

geomatch.jpgcat_mini_tube.jpg

Another thing to remember if using the decon containers is to sand off the writing on the top. The writing on the top is raised up plastic and part of the mold so it still shows if you paint over it.

It says something to the effect of "Health Hazard" or "Poison" or some such. I've seen these things a thousand times while I was in the military, but for the life of me can't remember exactly what it says...

Edited by Elminster7781