Log a find, or fail to find?

HarrisDad

Being a relative newb, I need some guidance from the group on the protocol for logging a find vs. logging a did not find.

If we locate the hide location, but are informed that the cache was destroyed by :) neighbors - is that a find, or did not find? Thanks, in advance, for the help.

In this case, we usually log a DNF, but explain the log that we found the location and that the cache was destroyed. Many times cache owners will allow you to claim credit in that case. But to assume so from the beginning seems a shad presumptuous to us since you didn't actually find the cache.

Just our $0.02. YMMV

Good luck getting a concensus on that one!

This has been covered many times before, and there are several basic opinions. I come from the "if you don't sign the book, you didn't find it" group. After all, if you didn't retreive the cache, how do you know you were really there? There is one cache I found recently and couldn't sign off on properly, so I took pictures of the rusted Altoids tin and the various bits that came out of it, and posted those with my log. I also offered to replace the container for the owner, but haven't gotten a reply. Darn shame too, I was near there yesterday morning.

Being a relative newb, I need some guidance from the group on the protocol for logging a find vs. logging a did not find.

If we locate the hide location, but are informed that the cache was destroyed by :) neighbors - is that a find, or did not find? Thanks, in advance, for the help.

It's only a find if you sign the logbook. That one would get a cache "Needs Maintenance" log from me.

To me, a find is not a find unless you write your screename and the date in the cache logbook. If the log is soaked or something, then leave a piece of paper with the date and your screename on it. If you didn't do one of those two things, then it is not a find. To me, it is that simple.

It's only a find if you sign the logbook. That one would get a cache "Needs Maintenance" log from me.

Ditto.

I refer to people who say "It's only a find if you sign the logbook" as puritans. Of course they are entitled to believe this. If you are comfortable claiming a find and the cache owner says its OK to claim a find, then you may claim a find for finding the location and evidence that the cache was destroyed.

[edit]

OOPS - didn't notice this was in the getting started forums. I usually let the puritans have their way in the getting starting forums. The reason is that by adopting the rule that you need to sign the log for it to be a find you won't be disappointed by a puritan cache owner deleting your log when they didn't see your name in the log book. You also learn that not finding the cache is not a sign of personal failure. Claiming finds for something you didn't find will cheapen your enjoyment of the game when you do find a particularly difficult to find cache.

Edited by tozainamboku

If we locate the hide location, but are informed that the cache was destroyed by :D neighbors - is that a find, or did not find? Thanks, in advance, for the help.

I refer to people who say "It's only a find if you sign the logbook" as puritans. Of course they are entitled to believe this. If you are comfortable claiming a find and the cache owner says its OK to claim a find, then you may claim a find for finding the location and evidence that the cache was destroyed.

[edit]

OOPS - didn't notice this was in the getting started forums. I usually let the puritans have their way in the getting starting forums. The reason is that by adopting the rule that you need to sign the log for it to be a find you won't be disappointed by a puritan cache owner deleting your log when they didn't see your name in the log book. You also learn that not finding the cache is not a sign of personal failure. Claiming finds for something you didn't find will cheapen your enjoyment of the game when you do find a particularly difficult to find cache.

I guess puritan these days means someone that tells the truth. Anyhow, I have never deleted someone's log. When there has been a rare issue, I have emailed those people and asked them to fix their logs and they have. :D Edited by TrailGators

If we don't find the cache I would log either DNF, or if sure we were in the right place a Needs Attention/Maintenance.

We have once found the cache (micro) where the paper was too damp and fragile to sign. So we took a pic of the cache container and log and claimed the find, stating this in the log - we then have photographic evidence of the find if anyone wants to challenge. If we hadn't been able to take the photo as proof I would not have claimed and would have posted Needs Maintenance instead. (Would have posted one of those too except someone already had).

TheWife

HoweFamily