Hey Florida Cachers

RV'n Iowans

In mid September I'll be visiting my Mom in Port St. Lucie, and of course will have the GPS along with some basic GPSing supplies (Flying so can't bring the whole arsenal)

I've been to Florida many times, and am always cognisant of this advice:

Be careful in Florida around lakes and streams, swamps, wooded areas and bushes.

There are critters that slither & prowl & hiss & growl all over the place :)

I want to do some caching and will be alone, most likely, so what precautions should I take & what types of caches should I look for (or avoid)??

Any advice will sure be appreciated from experienced Florida cachers. Thanks!!!!!

Dick :P

Due to various reason I would suggest narrowing your focus to the regional FL groups found in the list under the pinned topic at the top of this forum.

Those folks should be able to point you to areas of interest and you may even find a cache buddy or two if you luck up on an event while in the area.

Aside from that, I've spent some time in the swamps and waterways in FL, LA, AL, MS, and GA many times intending to find some of those mentioned critters. Use common sense and poke regular caches with a stick first before just reaching for it. I'd worry more about the bugs like fireants and skeeters and some of the plants. Know what saw grass and palmetto are and how to avoid them are good things to keep in mind.

In mid September I'll be visiting my Mom in Port St. Lucie, and of course will have the GPS along with some basic GPSing supplies (Flying so can't bring the whole arsenal)

I've been to Florida many times, and am always cognisant of this advice:

Be careful in Florida around lakes and streams, swamps, wooded areas and bushes.

There are critters that slither & prowl & hiss & growl all over the place :D

I want to do some caching and will be alone, most likely, so what precautions should I take & what types of caches should I look for (or avoid)??

Any advice will sure be appreciated from experienced Florida cachers. Thanks!!!!!

Dick :D

Try looking at the Space Coast Geocachers website. In the forums under the General Discussion heading is a pinned thread called "Stay Safe - Stay Cool" that has a few weather related tips. Also, take along a stick of some kind to poke into holes and foliage. I've learned the hard way not to use my fingers. Sunscreen and insect repellant are required as well as a sharp eye.