The lost art of logging

9Key

Could I get all your help with something (and distract us from the posts heating up)?

A couple of weeks ago I was trolling on the forum, and I don't remember whether it was in this thread or another, but I stared reading a log that made me laugh my butt off but I got called away and didn't get to finish reading it.

I've been over this thread twice and couldn't find it.

I tried doing a search on "best log entries", "favorite logs", etc, but the search function crabs at me that one of my words is less that 5 letters. (To restrict the ability to search for a term that is part of the vocabulary of this whole website/game is the HEIGHT of unusable, BTW - but I digress)

So the log I'm trying to find goes something like this:

"... if you're looking for this cache, DON'T WALK THROUGH THE LAKE BED. So we were walking through the lake bed...

... DON'T ATTEMPT TO CLIMB THE ROCK PILE. So we climbed up the rock pile....

... DON'T TRY TO CROSS THE RIVER AT THIS LOCATION... so we crossed over the river...."

It's a hilarious log and really want to see how it ended. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Any help finding this excellent example of a funny and descriptive log would be much appreciated.

I know that this is one of those things where "it's just me." I certainly don't mean for this to be a slam against anyone at all, but personally, I can't do copy and paste logs. It just feels cheap.

I get a lot of emails about my logs. Some from owners who appreciate the detail I put into them and others from cachers who enjoy reading them.

Honestly, for me, a BIG part of the enjoyment of caching is in logging my finds.

I wrote this article a few months ago. It's really just a few basics that I try to remember when I'm logging.

And other than that, I just get a lot of pleasure in telling a good story. This one was fun to write. :(

I like to read all of the logs on my very few caches. On one of them, they noted "thought it was the peanut can and was about to leave, but decided to open the can and look inside..." Do many people do that? Ignore caches if they don't feel they are "quality"? If they do, they're going to miss some of my future caches, because I'm enjoying the reaction to my decoy (which is what the "peanut can" was), and intend to hide some more!

I have only been contacted once about a log that I posted. The owner of the cache was "Over There" on deployment (and caching in the desert, btw) and read my post and laughed out loud, waking his bunk-mate.

It made my day to receive that email.

As an English professor, I am committing myself to writing some serious prose from now on.

Seriously, though, I do actually try to write something witty and fun, but I thought we were to keep the logs short and simple so they could be read on the iPhone. But, now that I know that we can be more prolific, watch out :-)

Could I get all your help with something (and distract us from the posts heating up)?

A couple of weeks ago I was trolling on the forum, and I don't remember whether it was in this thread or another, but I stared reading a log that made me laugh my butt off but I got called away and didn't get to finish reading it.

I tried doing a search on "best log entries", "favorite logs", etc, but the search function crabs at me that one of my words is less that 5 letters. (To restrict the ability to search for a term that is part of the vocabulary of this whole website/game is the HEIGHT of unusable, BTW - but I digress)

"... if you're looking for this cache, DON'T WALK THROUGH THE LAKE BED. So we were walking through the lake bed...

... DON'T TRY TO CROSS THE RIVER AT THIS LOCATION... so we crossed over the river...."

It's a hilarious log and really want to see how it ended. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Any help finding this excellent example of a funny and descriptive log would be much appreciated.

See post #10: Here.

MrsB :(

Why is it that so many have become so lazy? And no, I don't buy the augument that, "I don't have time" or "I found so many that I can't remember one from another" or "I'm on a 'numbers' run and I just can't be bothered" or " I'm just not a creative writer."

First, I'm new here so I'll try to tread a little lightly and second I have always tried to say a little about the cache and my trip out to it in my logs to give a bit of description to it.

That said. I'm not entering into an employment contract here. I'm doing this for personal enjoyment and recreation as are you. I will log it and say a few words, perhaps fewer than you might like. If that's what comes to mind and if that doesn't meet with expectations then, well, I'm sorry you feel that way but I'm not going to worry much about it. Sometimes I type the field notes into the GPS so they are certainly not going to be long and wordy. This is an activity that I do as side to other outdoor activity that I may be involved in. I do not do it to satisfy anyone else's desires. If I were to place one I would like to get neat descriptions too but I would not be overly upset to learn that not everyone takes it as seriously as I do. At least you are getting some feedback as to what was found and not found and how often it gets visited.

Sure I can understand a little frustration about some of it, but some of these posts sound like personal affronts because strangers in the public doing this for their own fun aren't doing just the way you like it which puzzles me a bit I guess.

Why is it that so many have become so lazy? And no, I don't buy the augument that, "I don't have time" or "I found so many that I can't remember one from another" or "I'm on a 'numbers' run and I just can't be bothered" or " I'm just not a creative writer."

First, I'm new here so I'll try to tread a little lightly and second I have always tried to say a little about the cache and my trip out to it in my logs to give a bit of description to it.

That said. I'm not entering into an employment contract here. I'm doing this for personal enjoyment and recreation as are you. I will log it and say a few words, perhaps fewer than you might like. If that's what comes to mind and if that doesn't meet with expectations then, well, I'm sorry you feel that way but I'm not going to worry much about it. Sometimes I type the field notes into the GPS so they are certainly not going to be long and wordy. This is an activity that I do as side to other outdoor activity that I may be involved in. I do not do it to satisfy anyone else's desires. If I were to place one I would like to get neat descriptions too but I would not be overly upset to learn that not everyone takes it as seriously as I do. At least you are getting some feedback as to what was found and not found and how often it gets visited.

Sure I can understand a little frustration about some of it, but some of these posts sound like personal affronts because strangers in the public doing this for their own fun aren't doing just the way you like it which puzzles me a bit I guess.

You are going to fit in here just fine. Welcome aboard.

You are going to fit in here just fine. Welcome aboard.

Thanks! And let me say, I do appreciate the work that people do to set these up. I have only done a few as an 'extra' near places we walk the dogs or hike so I will never likely be the guy who can't remember what he visited that day, but I am the guy who's not going to focus much time on it beyond a quick note to say I found it and maybe a little description too. They do add a fun activity to the hike for me and the daughter though so I appreciate the fact that folks are maintaining these things.

See post #10: Here.

MrsB :(

MrsB,

THANK Y0U THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :lol:

Nericksx

as a new player to the game, i can say i have fallen into the "monkey see, monkey do" catagory of logging, but not without adding some flavor to the note....nothing was cut and pasted and i left in a bit about leaving treasures behind for the next seeker. one isue i had was there were not set guidelines as to how to respond, so the "When in rome" aspect kicked in, i tried to go along with what i saw thinking that is what is done. sort of in "in" way of saying thanks. still don't know what some of the abbreviations mean like SL and to someone new to the game that could mean a clue. so i learn by seeing. it would probably be best if you do not like the shortened experiences, send a note back to the people out and out asking them for more information in a friendly manner. I would respond quite happily to such notes, but being as i am new to such things i never know what to write or how much to put into it lest i give up the location to the next to find the cache. thanks for putting up with me thus far.

always,

monkey menace

poet

at

large

as a new player to the game, i can say i have fallen into the "monkey see, monkey do" catagory of logging, but not without adding some flavor to the note....nothing was cut and pasted and i left in a bit about leaving treasures behind for the next seeker. one isue i had was there were not set guidelines as to how to respond, so the "When in rome" aspect kicked in, i tried to go along with what i saw thinking that is what is done. sort of in "in" way of saying thanks. still don't know what some of the abbreviations mean like SL and to someone new to the game that could mean a clue. so i learn by seeing. it would probably be best if you do not like the shortened experiences, send a note back to the people out and out asking them for more information in a friendly manner. I would respond quite happily to such notes, but being as i am new to such things i never know what to write or how much to put into it lest i give up the location to the next to find the cache. thanks for putting up with me thus far.

always,

monkey menace

poet

at

large

It shouldn't be necessary for a CO to request a "better log", and I highly doubt that any (rather, many) would. The posting of a log content rests entirely upon the shoulders of the cacher. If you had a good time, say so (even better, say so descriptively). Likewise, if you had a hard -- or difficult -- time, say so.

Generally if a cacher really does have a good time, they are going to log it. Particularly if the cache itself, or the hide itself, really struck a fancy to the seeker. If the cache was a non-descript "why is it here?" type of cache, then it probably rates a equatable type of log entry.

In other threads, people have also related why they do -- or don't post "glowing" cache logs.

The reasons -- (nope, I ain't going there. Almost did :) ).

The important thing is: It's your game. You get out of it what you put into it! :D

I'm in the same boat as MonkeyMenace. Since there were no real guides on this, I assumed to keep it short and simple.

I would prefer to use it more as a caching diary, adding more details, so years (hopefully) from now I can look through them and see how things have changed. But I worried that I would be too "wordy".

I'm in the same boat as MonkeyMenace. Since there were no real guides on this, I assumed to keep it short and simple.

I would prefer to use it more as a caching diary, adding more details, so years (hopefully) from now I can look through them and see how things have changed. But I worried that I would be too "wordy".

For your info -- there are loggers that nearly write a book at a good/nice cache. So long in fact, they have to create links to finish their story as it exceeds the word limitation of the cache log!

Usually I just sign and date the physical logbook, trying to write more in my online log. Usually a paragraph or two. Occasionally, I get a reply from the CO thanking me for writing a good log and that makes my day. How many times do CO's think of sending a note to say "thanks for the great log?"

I was especially pleased to get a thank you for this log that I wrote:

The Pit

But, try as I might, I never seem to be about to get up to this level:

Gossemer: The Woodland Fairy

When the person who wrote that log found my Two Towers series, I was really pleased to send a "thank you for the awesome logs". Hope you enjoy them, too.

Two Towers: Rivendell

Two Towers: Isengard

Two Towers: Cirith Ungol

Two Towers: Barad-Dur

What a great time to resurrect this fine thread! I'm guessing that you (and many others ) got a GPS for Christmas and are trying out geocaching for the first time.

Because of what we call "paperless caching", where cache pages and logs are loaded into PDAs, Nuvis, or paperless GPSrs, extremely long logs can indeed be a bit of a problem (as can overly wordy cache pages), but I doubt that you will ever bother a cache owner by saying too much about his cache. Personally, I try to hit a middle ground.

I am rather new to caching, only 11 caches, but I try to write a nice log.

I seemed to have wrote an essay for my last log :) It was a simple, but great find!

:D:D FTF :ph34r::anibad:

My first FTF ever!

I saw this cache new on the list of caches last night, and was suprised no one had found it yet. I knew that I had to rush to beat everyone else to the FTF. So today I quickly hopped on my bike and started racing towards the cache. As I live in Hucclecote I decided to get to the cache via Stump Lane, after about 5 minutes of cycling up Stump Lane I relized just how steep the hill was. However this was relatively easy compared to some parts further on my planned route. By the time I got to the end of Stump Lane it was only a short cycle around some trees and then down a steep muddy hill towards the cache. It was fine cycling down the hill.

After searching the area for a few minutes I quickly found the cache, a nice hide!

The way back up the muddy steep hill, pushing my bike, was VERY tiring, and my front wheel kept locking up due to all of the mud stuck to it. I would advise anyone cycling here Via Stump Lane to lock your bike up to the fence on the edge of the road, and not take it down the hill!

Although tiring, it was worth it, and made my first FTF even more special!

TFTC!

A very nice find!

Edited by Mini-Geek

Mini-Geek - That's a very good log - I can feel your suffering! :)

To you and the other new cachers who have posted: I understand that you may well have followed "monkey see, monkey do" principles... and for those who prefer to leave simple, short logs that's fine.

However, if you enjoyed the cache experience (or even if you didn't!) and you can write it up into an interesting/amusing/descriptive log then not only will the cache owner benefit from it but, as mentioned above, you too will be able to enjoy it when you look back on your early caching experiences in months/years to come.

MrsB

Thanks everyone for the great advice about logging. I'll be looking more forward to it now, instead of just feeling "obligated".

I'm actually just using my car Garmin atm, but my Colorado 300 has been shipped. Woohoo! Hopefully I can find the more hidden caches with it!

Sharing experiences is a big part of this sport. If you enjoyed the cache, let the cache owner know. You don't have to write a book. Something like "Great cache, I really enjoyed the view" or "Neat hide, very clever" are fine if you aren't into writing. Just say something that is unique to that cache. If you are inclined to write more, all the better. Most cache owners love feedback and want to know that their efforts are appreciated. "Found it" doesn't tell the cache owner much beyond the fact that you found the cache. Did you really enjoy the experience? If so, say it in your log, whether it is 5 words or 500.

Edited by briansnat

I'm guilty of the 'cut and paste' type of logging. However, in most cases it is just the first part of the log that is 'cut and pasted' into the log; i.e. 1st of 42 caches on my trip to.... The rest of my log will usually have something to say about that particular cache or something that happened in finding it.

On the receiving end: I have a number of caches hidden over a wide area; some, I must admit, are basic 'park and grab' type caches, but others are what I consider quality caches if for no other reason than the area they take you to. When I see a 'TNLNSL TFTC' posted on these 'better' caches it does kind of irk me that the person finding the cache didn't appreciate the time, effort and expense involved in placing the cache to say something about their experience, good or bad.

When I get well-thought out logs posted I will usually send an e-mail to the poster to thank them for their comments and express my appreciation for them taking the time to search for my caches. Hopefully, this will induce them to keep making similar posts on other caches, if they haven't already adopted the attitude that any cache placed has taken some time, effort and expense to place it; making it worthy of even a short comment, rather than the 'cut and paste' TNLNSL TFTC.

If I hadn't read some well-written logs around the time of my first couple of finds, I might have thought that leaving a splash of alphabet soup (TNLNSL TFTC) was the correct thing to do.

As it was, my first log was a meagre five words of thanks.

Now, I try to write three or four paragraphs that cover anything interesting that happened on the way to the cache, the highlights of searching for the cache, the highlights of the return trip if there were any, and an expression of thanks.

If I can't get inspired by the cache or it's immediate location, you'll find me writing about something in the general area that caught my interest, the new fingerless gloves that I bought so I could use my iPhone while caching, or where we stopped for tea on the way home.

Some caches have more appeal than others, but it is a subjective thing and I still appreciate that someone took the time to hide something.

I gotta admit, as a newbie, I as really annoyed looking at logs and seeing all these acronyms. Honestly, when I log either a find or a did not find, either way I think to myself... "if I had a cache, I'd want to know about their experience". So when I post, I always write at least a simple couple of sentences (or more) telling them about my experience. I think it's more meaningful to the cache owner. They take time and energy to ensure that cache stays in working order so that I, the cacher, can enjoy finding it. Leaving a meaningful log is kinda the best "thanks" you can give someone.

Edited by GorpForBrains

I admitted over a year ago to not being wordy, and I do my best to relate my experience. Of course the more time and care that goes into a cache the better and more detailed my log. If something abnormal happens during the search I'll make note of it.

I too am starting to get annoyed about the logs I receive. Some of the established cachers out there will leave GREAT logs, most leave a good log. But it's those TFTC's that hurt the most. My hides are almost always in a nice place, and I feel my cache pages are top notch compared to others in the area, and I'm always on top of maintenance. So those one word logs just hurt.

With the masses focused on find counts, power trails, and such I think it may only get worse. I just saw a cache page with a one word description. (If I find that cache they get a 1 word log, unless it's a superb hide). The other day I realized that with more and more cachers logging finds on the road from their phone, logs will really deteriorate. Most logs from phones are very basic, and the finders usually don't take the time to log in at home and edit their logs.

I still cache with computer printouts and I'll scribble notes (a word or two) on them to help me remember things to comment on when I log the cache.

Same here. I think it helps me make up for how green I'm not being.

Some caches in my area aren't well-planned. Slapdash little LPCs or X-Mart Parking Lot grabs. I'm not very inclined to leave them detailed thank yous. But when someone puts thought into the location, the hide, the puzzle, whatever, I like to thank them.

I never thought about it from the CO's POV, though. I will going forward, though.

After a day of caching, my next favourite thing to do is settle in for the night, grab a nice, cold drink and write logs that will entertain owners of the caches I have just found. They entertained me all day with fun and adventure so they deserve a fun, little story from me about my experiences while finding their cache.

Sometimes I am a tad tired to write long stories, but there is usually something that happened at every cache that I can recall for my online log.

I love reading my own cache logs. I still act like a little kid in a candy store when I get a notification that someone else just logged one of my caches.

Part of the fun of geocaching for me is the process of sitting down to write and log my finds as soon as I can. I always carry a clipboard or a small notebook and record the name of the cache and some brief notes to trigger my memory of the experience. I try to take a picture as well, especially if the cache had something interesting or eye-catching. With my notes and photographs, I am ready to reflect on the details of caching for my many audiences: CO, future cachers, and myself. My logs have become another source of journaling about life that is an unexpected gift from geocaching. Bret Hammond writes about this in his article from Geocacher University about the Creative Writing experience in posting logs. http://geocacher-u.com/content/view/14/33/

I was in the Atlanta area on business this past weekend, and got to spend a little time Geocaching. I took the opportunity to visit GC1D, the oldest active cache in the state of Georgia.

This cache is a 10 gallon bucket, in a beautiful location. The log book is a medium sized spiral notebook. I sat there on the bank of a lovely pond, enjoying a beautiful spring-like day, and flipped through the log book.

Imagine my disappointment to find page after page of dates and names, and nothing more. There were even a couple of previous finders who couldn't even be bothered with that, and just put a sticker on the page. I filled half a page with my note, and wondered if future visitors to the cache will think I was selfish or rude to write so much.

At least the online logs for that cache are a little more descriptive.

I'll begin by saying 'I'm sorry'. I'm a noob (collected only 5 caches) and I guess I really didn't understand the proper etiquette or the fact that the logs themselves were rewards to the COs. I don't have a lot of time for 'caching, so I'm into the easy 'dash and grab' caches..at least until my kids are older and are willing (and have the stamina) to join me. My logs to date, while not all acronyms, haven't done justice to the cleverness of the caches.

I'm glad I learned this early in my GC career.

i also started off with writing long logs in the book describing the experience and all that, but after a while it became routine and i didn't know what to write any more. usually finding a cache isn't much of a challenge and so there isn't much to write, unless it's a micro or nano in some evil spot, which is more frustrating than a nice experience and also doesn't even provide room to write anything more than the name.

the exception is notable caches like very old ones, but usually i still can't think of anything more original than "woohoo" or something like that :P

i also started off with writing long logs in the book describing the experience and all that, but after a while it became routine and i didn't know what to write any more. usually finding a cache isn't much of a challenge and so there isn't much to write, unless it's a micro or nano in some evil spot, which is more frustrating than a nice experience and also doesn't even provide room to write anything more than the name.

the exception is notable caches like very old ones, but usually i still can't think of anything more original than "woohoo" or something like that :P

*sigh*

I blame text messaging. And IM'ing. And email.

Even if finding a cache isn't much of a challenge, there should still be plenty to write about. Is it in a nice spot? Comment on the beautiful view. In the middle of a dump? Comment on the "challenge" of reaching the cache without getting your clothes dirty.

Is the weather nice? Mention the beautiful day. Weather not so nice? That's even more interesting; tell us about how you're shivering in spite of the four layers of Thinsulate and goose down you're wearing. Or tell us that you're holding the log inside your Gore-Tex jacket while you write, to protect it from the raging thunderstorm.

Or just tell us about your day. "We started our cache run at 0-dark-thirty this morning, this is our 14th cache today but the first ammo can. After this, we're planning to drive to the other side of the ridge and tackle Fat Phreddy's 4.5 terrain challenge."

If the cache owner was standing right there, what would you say to him? Write it in the logbook!

Of course if it's a micro, there's only room for the date and your initials. That's why I don't hide micros.

(I still hunt for them, though.)

Even a DNF log can be creative and fun. This is one I recently submitted. I was a little frustrated as it kiboshed my "going for the 50th" streak, but I though I would have a bit of fun with the log rather than whine and cry about it ...

Well, I got in a fight with some trees tonight looking for this one. They were kinda looking at me all shifty and I had a feeling when I first arrived that these trees would give me trouble.

Sure enough, as soon as I started searching, out came the thorns and the prickles, and the needles. One of them even tried to rob me of my back pack, not to mention my beloved touque!

But I was alright, I sucked it up for a while and actually thought I might be winning. Then all of a sudden I see a bunch of their tree buddies coming over the hill and I knew my goose was cooked.

I beat it out of there!

I was on my way to my 50th find tonight and these hooligan trees rained on my parade. They burst my bubble, popped my pimple, and mocked me as I ran away.

But I'll be back, and with friends of my own, and those trees will give up their secret, oh yes, they will give up their secret.

On the flip side, I did have a visit from a very nice cat who was happy to rub on my leg and help me search for a few minutes before resuming her own rounds.

Thanks for the adventure!

Even if finding a cache isn't much of a challenge, there should still be plenty to write about. Is it in a nice spot? Comment on the beautiful view. In the middle of a dump? Comment on the "challenge" of reaching the cache without getting your clothes dirty.

Is the weather nice? Mention the beautiful day. Weather not so nice? That's even more interesting; tell us about how you're shivering in spite of the four layers of Thinsulate and goose down you're wearing. Or tell us that you're holding the log inside your Gore-Tex jacket while you write, to protect it from the raging thunderstorm.

Or just tell us about your day. "We started our cache run at 0-dark-thirty this morning, this is our 14th cache today but the first ammo can. After this, we're planning to drive to the other side of the ridge and tackle Fat Phreddy's 4.5 terrain challenge."

If the cache owner was standing right there, what would you say to him? Write it in the logbook!

well you see, all that i would and do write in the online log. the reason for that is twofold: i rarely find myself flipping back the pages of a log from a cache i just found to read other people's comments, and as for my own caches, i don't visit them often enough to actually read all the entries in the logbook, and when i do, there's so many entries that it's impossible to read them all. i do flip through the log and read some entries that seem to stand out, but i'll miss more than i will be able to read.

in other words, i don't think the chance of anyone ever reading an extensive entry in the logbook is very high. adding to that is the fact that around here, when finding a cache that's large enough to hold a proper log entry, most of the time it's either bitterly cold (-20C or so) or mosquito infested, both of which makes me wanna get on with the trip as quickly as possible. that's why i'd rather save describing the experience for the online log, where i have the time to actually do that and where there's a high chance of people (including the CO) actually reading the entry.

Even a DNF log can be creative and fun. This is one I recently submitted. I was a little frustrated as it kiboshed my "going for the 50th" streak, but I though I would have a bit of fun with the log rather than whine and cry about it ...

Oh I think the DNF logs are the most fun to write and it seems that my best stories come from the frustration of not being able to find the cache.

I have a seperate account just so that I can write my own logs. I always go with my girl and we thought about just having a joint account but i can't handle not writing about the expirience She's more of a TFTC or a sentence kinda gal while I'm a little more verbose about the experiences.

As far as the actual physical log goes, I've been doing this for three years and it's the first I've heard of writing more than your name and a date in the log. I just thought that was the way it is done.

I'm glad I found this topic. I am new to caching, and I always wondered why people wrote short messages saying more or less I found it. I though that what the thing to do to put your name on the list. Now I know that is not the case. I for one will put thought into my logs. I typically pick the hardest routes to a cache anyways to make it more fun, and more often than not I bite off more than I can chew...Makes for great stories though =D

I didn't get to read all 12 pages of the thread, but in the 4-5 pages that I did read, I didn't see anyone bring up the fact that my Garmin Oregon, only allows a very limited number of characters in the field notes and it is hard to type on with my fat fingers.

Hi, I saw your post and smiled because I have fat fingers too. I use the Field Notes feature on my iPhone, and my daughter laughs at me for my lame old guy typing technique. What I do is to limit my field notes to just reminders of what happened at the cache, any trades or trackables, and other keys so I will remember the cache when I write my full log. There's no rule that says that field note equals log. At home and on days when I can't go geocaching, I transform my field notes into full logs.

I will give you an example that's in keeping with this thread.

I visited a simple cemetery cache, hidden near a veteran's memorial. My field note tapped out on my iPhone in the pouring rain said "met Joe from Hazelwood. nice hide under cannonballs at memorial."

At home, I took that information and wrote the following log:

We're on "Spring Break" from work and school this week! Today Little Leprechaun wanted to hang out with her girlfriends at the Homestead Waterfront. That gave chauffeur daddy a few hours to do some geocaching. I finished a nice hike to grab two caches in Frick Park, then I did the new multicache right at the Waterfront before retrieving my daughter. But, she asked for some more time for shopping after the movie, so that gave me time to hunt that proverbial "one more cache." This was the nearest one, so off I went.

In some quarters, the explosion of cache hides in cemeteries is decried as the death of geocaching. "Why does every little graveyard need a film canister tossed in a bush at the back corner?" But me, I enjoy them. Every cache is an opportunity to experience whatever the location has to offer. Here, I received an unexpected bonus.

As I arrived, the rain started. I figured I would make a quick dash for the cache, and left the car running while I dodged the raindrops, hoping for a quick find. After an initial search, I turned around and saw a car parked behind mine. And that is how I came to meet Joe from Hazelwood. I explained to Joe that I enjoy visiting cemteries and especially veteran's graves and veteran's memorials. Joe said that made his day. He is a Viet Nam vet who has felt unappreciated. I tried to change that. For the next half hour, we had a nice conversation as the rain came down harder and harder. I won't forget Joe's vivid stories, strongly held views or colorful language.

Finally, Joe said good bye and I had another chance to search for this well hidden cache, finding it after a ten minute hunt. Thanks to this experience, I have something to point to the next time someone asks "what's the point of having a cache in every cemetery?"

Had my daughter not wanted some extra time shopping, I would have missed out on this experience. Had you not hidden your cache and done maintenance recently, I never would have stopped here. Thanks for making this happen.

Yes, but....

I agree that when I find a lot of caches my logs tend to get kind of lame, but since I like to read about the experience others have in finding my caches I try to describe my experience well too. Even on my DNF's if they're memorable, like this one. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...36-4a980ca48491

Writing better than the normal log has yielded some added benefits of new friends. There were a couple of caches that I missed FTF on to the same geocacher by what seemed like only minutes. So I started tossing some light-hearted banter at him in some my logs when it happens and now we've become regular correspondents. I have a couple of coworkers who cache also and we usually try to comment about our experiences when we take the occasional "doughnut run" to get a cache. By doing so we've started to get some comments from other cachers too joining in the fun. Check these:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Having said all that, I should probably point out that some of us in our area are considering driving to Las Vegas to find a bunch of the caches on that huge mega trail. I'm pretty sure those will get short cut and paste logs. What can I say?

When we started a year or more back we wrote a little in the cache log especially if it was big enough but have eventually come to think the cache log is more to just log that you were actually there and that the computer log is more for a descriptive log. My wife does like to go through the paper log and see who was there and if she recognizes any of the names. I tend to do the computer logging with her input of course. It does not seem there is usually a whole lot of room for much writing in the paper logs.

I could be wrong as I am still fairly new to this but I have been led to think.

Paper log = name and maybe where your from if it is an out of your area find and maybe a short comment if there is room in the logbook.

Computer log = place for more lengthy comments.

GT

Pipeline Putters

Edited by Pipeline Putters

Hi,

After writing a log on a puzzle cache that I found particularly difficult, and getting just beaten to a first find, I received an email from a fellow cacher. It read, "Have just read your log - loved it." That was one of my most enjoyable moments in geocaching.

I feel that a cacher who goes to that extra effort to make a really good cache deserves equal effort from the finder, or indeed the did-not-finder.

Cheers,

Dan

Anyone else notice the "cancer" of short, uninspired logs, has sadly spread to remote, and high terrain caches also?

No, but I have noticed that it has been quite some time since I've seen a blank log on any of my caches. Perhaps the blank and short loggers are being driven out of town?

I dunno. Have any of them viewed my profile pic lately? :lol:

Anyone else notice the "cancer" of short, uninspired logs, has sadly spread to remote, and high terrain caches also?

No, but I have noticed that it has been quite some time since I've seen a blank log on any of my caches. Perhaps the blank and short loggers are being driven out of town?

For one thing, the iphone app now prompts you to "input text."